Prentice Wins!

Old November 15th 04, 09:56 AM
MagillaGorilla

Default Prentice Wins!

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/14/sp...d=3&oref=login

After the embrace at Interbike, Hamilton prepared for two weeks of more
difficult appearances at events for the Tyler Hamilton Foundation, which
raises money for multiple sclerosis patients and for youth cycling. He
started the foundation this year, modeling it after Armstrong's cancer
foundation.

At his first stop, in a 437-seat San Francisco theater, 100 people heard
him speak. When Hamilton's friend Chris Davenport, an extreme skier who
served as emcee, said, "Tyler is innocent," most of the audience applauded.

But one man sat silent, arms tightly crossed, a disgusted look on his
face as Hamilton's Olympic gold medal was passed around. He was Dr.
Prentice Steffen, who had worked with Hamilton and the United States
Postal Service team.

In the book "L.A. Confidential, the Secrets of Lance Armstrong," Steffen
said Hamilton had been present when another rider, Marty Jemison, hinted
that performance-enhancing drugs could help the team.

Steffen said he had refused the request and that his contract with the
team was not renewed.

"If he had the guts to show up in my town and talk, I needed to be
there," Steffen said of Hamilton. "I knew this would happen. After the
news got out that he tested positive, I got lots of calls and e-mails,
people saying, 'Yeah, Prentice wins!' "

Hamilton responded, "He's just mad that he got fired."

Magilla
Old November 17th 04, 01:41 AM
J DASH ME

Prentice Rules!!!