Daytona 500 Shootout!! Tony, Jeff, or Jr?

Old February 22nd 05, 07:53 PM
Tom

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
wrote:
That's exactly the biggest reason why it's not worth getting all

worked

up about doping in bike racing.

It's not that important.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Dear Sir,
By that logic, NASCAR is important because it is watched by a lot

of
people.

Ryan Barrett
All worked up over doping in all sports

Dumbass -

NASCAR isn't important either. Neither is any professional sport.

What may be more important is doping in our culture at large. That is
important. The doping in sports is simply a reflection of that.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Pro sports at
large might not be important to you, but take NASCAR for example. The
only thing people I work with could talk about Monday morning was the
race. And talk about it still continues today, while they have
shifted focus to ACC basketball this evening (not a pro sport, but
close enough) as Carolina is playing NC State. Pro sports is super
important to a lot of people in America in general, as they life their
lives vicariously through their sports heroes, and 9 times out of 10,
they don't care if they're doping, or have committed horrible crimes,
they just want their sports entertainment. Sad, but true.

Another fine example is look at what the top rated TV shows are.. I
think most of them are stupid reality TV shows. I sit next to a woman
at work, and this is all she can talk about on a daily basis. The
Bachelorette this, The Bachelorette that... I've given up on regular
TV, and stick to The History Channel, Discovery, TLC, and others...

Tom

Old February 22nd 05, 08:19 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

Tom wrote:

Dumbass -

NASCAR isn't important either. Neither is any professional sport.

What may be more important is doping in our culture at large. That

is
important. The doping in sports is simply a reflection of that.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Pro sports

at
large might not be important to you, but take NASCAR for example.

The
only thing people I work with could talk about Monday morning was the
race. And talk about it still continues today,

snip

Dumbass -

That still doesn't make it important. All professional sports is
entertainment and entertainment in and of itself is unimportant.

The week after the Nicolette Sheridan/Terrell Owens commercial on
Monday Night Football, that's all a lot of people were talking about.
That wasn't important either.

The only time I would make an exception is when the entertainment
attempts to address an issue outside of the entertainment itself
(certain TV and cinema). Sports, by and large, do not do this.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Old February 22nd 05, 08:48 PM
Tom

This is true what you're saying here.

I do know some people who, sports provide, more than entertainment.
It's literally their lives. So for them, I think it's a lot more
important than say, work, and or family. It's sad, but so true. If
you could be in my office during March Madness, you would be aghast I
think.

Tom

Old February 22nd 05, 09:18 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On 22 Feb 2005 11:53:05 -0800, "Tom" wrote:

And talk about it still continues today, while they have
shifted focus to ACC basketball this evening (not a pro sport, but
close enough) as Carolina is playing NC State. Pro sports is super
important to a lot of people in America in general, as they life their
lives vicariously through their sports heroes, and 9 times out of 10,
they don't care if they're doping, or have committed horrible crimes,
they just want their sports entertainment. Sad, but true.

I drop about $ 6,000 a year total on University of Maryland sports,
between the Terp Club and tickets, making me typical for a college
fan. I can talk about basketball for hours, especially this year about
why Maryland has a point guard that isn't a point guard every other
game. It is of consummate interest to us, but at the end of the day,
it isn't fundamentally important. Its leisure. Its fun. Its something
to do with the kid and his girlfriend. Its an excuse to drink beer and
waste half of our Saturdays during football season.

But it isn't important in and of itself. Take it away and we'd do
something else. In a heart beat. Especially when finding excuses to
drink beer and waste Saturdays.

And I don't live vicariously through anyone associated with any of the
sports. I think anyone over 30 that does so should take a hard look at
what they call reality. It makes people do stupid things and put ugly
decals on their car, ruining the paint job. Not good, especially for
the car.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
I'll give NC State and 15...
Old February 23rd 05, 01:49 AM
amit

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

Dumbass -

That still doesn't make it important. All professional sports is
entertainment and entertainment in and of itself is unimportant.

The week after the Nicolette Sheridan/Terrell Owens commercial on
Monday Night Football, that's all a lot of people were talking about.
That wasn't important either.

The only time I would make an exception is when the entertainment
attempts to address an issue outside of the entertainment itself
(certain TV and cinema). Sports, by and large, do not do this.

dumbass,

if that were true sports wouldn't be that important to people. just
like other stuff that's considered cultural (theatre, cinema,
literature) sports affects the way people think and provides and is a
source of inspiration.

it's not easy to make a direct connection between something that's
frivolous entertainment like rock'n'roll and the fall of the iron
curtain, but eggheads argue that kind of crap all the time.

Old February 23rd 05, 02:12 AM
crit PRO

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
Tom wrote:

[...]

So Chang, what your saying is, that since nobody talks about you, that
makes you important?

Old February 23rd 05, 07:36 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

amit wrote:

dumbass,

if that were true sports wouldn't be that important to people. just
like other stuff that's considered cultural (theatre, cinema,
literature) sports affects the way people think and provides and is a
source of inspiration.

it's not easy to make a direct connection between something that's
frivolous entertainment like rock'n'roll and the fall of the iron
curtain, but eggheads argue that kind of crap all the time.

Dumbass -

Entertainment becomes salient when a culture is wealthy enough to
afford its people a lot of leisure time.

When the **** hits the fan though (like in a war or a famine or a
plague) what's the first thing to go? Entertainment.

Even if one makes the argument that entertainment is important to them,
what Curtis said is true: if one sort of entertainment were to vanish,
people would simply find another sort to take its place.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.