Cycling on TV besides OLN

Old February 23rd 05, 05:23 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article , says...

OLN is over-kill anyway, so why do u need more ?

Because they only cover the TDF and ignore the other races.
-------------
Alex

Old February 23rd 05, 05:37 PM
Bob Schwartz

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
Eurosport comes to mind. I don't think you can get it here. Also, your big
dish won't pick them up since they don't beam a signal to the US.

From past enquiries I believe it is a case of a geosynchronous satellite
being over the North American horizon.

Bob Schwartz

Old February 23rd 05, 05:42 PM

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:48:17 -0500, Bugsy wrote:

OLN is over-kill anyway, so why do u need more ?

wrote:
After OLN refused to cover the Vuelta last year and seeing that they
are already hyping "Lance" in this years coverage I was wondering about
alternatives.

My cable company has several foreign channels that I can subscribe to.
I also own a TVRO dish and receiver (that is, the older, large
satellite dish). I can subscribe to many more channels there.

Is there any European sports network that has cycling coverage as good
or better than OLN? It doesn't have to be English. If anyone can give
me suggestions I can take it from there.

Thanks,
Tom

If I could get euro channels i'd try and get eurosport, or RAI or
FRANCE 2.
Old February 23rd 05, 05:46 PM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:19:48 +0200, Donald Munro
wrote:

Laz wrote:
A coupla years ago ( pantani era ) the local Italian station broadcast
the giro from Italy RAI- the coverage was fantastic; I didn't understand
the commentary, but oln abc and all the other numbskulls out there
could've learned how to cover a stage race.
don't know if rai covers the giro anymore if it is as good as I saw, or
if it shows any other races but it might be worth investigating

RAI International does cover the giro on satelite (I remember watching it
while sitting on a trainer recovering from a broken collar bone 2 years
ago). However they give preference to football (aka US soccer) on weekends
so you can end up missing large chunks of weekend mountain stages.

Same here. On my digital I used to receive TLN which receives
programming from RAI. THey showed the 2003 giro every day, one hour
each morning. But not on weekends, so we missed al the big mountain
stages including the Zoncolan. However, I finally got the entire tapes
from someone else. Recently, RAI applied to the CRTC for a license and
was denied, instead AL-Jazeera got licensed. I was kind of
disappointed-not for the reasons everyone else was, but because Al
Jazera is a news network and won't show sports. And at least RAI has
cycling. Lots of soccer, of course, but at leastthey show other races
besides the grand tours.
Old February 23rd 05, 10:01 PM
Laz

news
wrote:

[...]

Yup, granting the terrorist mouthpiece network license to air their baloney,
garbage and just complete idiotic lies in place of something for the Italian
community which helped build a considerable percentage of Canada's larger
cities is a complete travesty-

Laz

Old February 23rd 05, 10:16 PM
Laz

"Tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
We care about bicycle racing. Most of the rest of the North American
people do not care about it. Face it, bicycle racing in North America
is a very small, very niche market. I think we're lucky to get what
we do. Remember, TV is still a business, and in business people like
to make money. Cycling probably does not make that money for the TV
stations. Simple as that. Take for instance, last weekend, 18
million people watched the Daytona 500. That's some bang for the buck
right there. In America, if it doesn't involve a ball or a motor,
generally people don't care about it.

Tom

Yeah, but with Lance going for 7 there is the chance to capture the best
viewship cycling will ever get. )Far more than Top Dog will in it's entire
run). The trickle-down effect would be a greater respect for cyclists on the
road, commenting etc. and the heath benefits for a convenient known for its
chronic obesity and poor health lifestyle. There is no reason why if so many
can watch 43 cars race on a circular track for hours on end, they can't get
interested in a more personal sport. But you have sport-casters who show
blooper reels of cyclists with stupid sounds and joke and cyclists become
known as those crazy guys on 2 wheels. Then they solemnly go on about some
golfer teeing up and how great that sport is. Seriously, if more folks
contacted their local media and berated the manager everytime the sports
reporter screws up a cycling report and makes cyclists look dumb we would
get more respect on the road. To let the opportunity Lance presents us slip
past means cycling will probably die out by the end of our lifetimes

Laz