BR16

Old October 12th 04, 12:45 PM
Geoff

Default BR16

"hippy" wrote in message

40.1kph! That can't be right?!

Doesn't sound too far off the mark for C Grade and that circuit. I can
remember one race last year at Glenvale Cres. when the speeds on a couple of
laps where up around the 50km/h mark but the overall avg was below 40km/h.
What was your max speed during this race?

No wonder I'm shagged out after racing..

hippy

Old October 12th 04, 01:09 PM
Geoff

"hippy" wrote in message
"flyingdutch"

blah Wrote:
I figure I'll do what I
have to here and ride this afternoon in what should be a ripper of a
day after I've sorted out this tyre/tube thing.
Hope y'all had a good one.

just got in. a pearler!!!
Just Geoff, Tony and Moi

Cool guys! I achieved my goal today of sticking
with the Glenvale C bunch until the line. Another
couple of months training at higher intensity and
I'll be in front at the line :-)

well done!! Keep up the good work.

Damn those bunches are huge there now!

I think crit racing in Melbourne is about to enter boom times. Maybe at the
expense of road racing?? With the cost of petrol going up it's possibly
going to start affecting the numbers travelling distances to attend road
race fixtures. From what I have heard the attendances at road races have
declined quite a bit in the last few months. Is this related to fuel costs
I don't really know.

Damn the pace is high! One dude pedal hit
and another stuffed a corner totally and hit the
curb, right in front of me. Looked good as he
did the superman impersonation.. it probably
helped coz he would've landed on grass..

One of the problems of C Grade... It's a mix of the experienced and the not
so experienced pretending to be experienced. **** Happens!!! but the last
thing you need in a race it someone needlessly creating it. It's even worse
when you end up the victim of someone else's stupidity and they ride away
unscathed. Thankfully things tend to get better as the season moves on and
everyone's experience level improves.

hippy

Old October 12th 04, 02:04 PM
Geoff

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

hippy Wrote:
Speed and gearing.. I'll just get the Polar data.. hang on..
55min, HR: 172/193, 36.4k, 28.4kph 40.1kph,
Cad: 107bpm, 23degC

40.1kph! That can't be right?!
No wonder I'm shagged out after racing..

hippy

what do the numbers represent?, exactly?

--
flyingdutch

Speaking of numbers... the answer to your question you put to me on sunday
regarding the hill at the Donvale School. Its an avg gradient of 10% for
the first part of the climb (300m) to where it levels out. Its 5.8% avg
from the bottom of that climb to the top (1km) which is just after the left
hand turn at the T intersection. The first 100m of the climb is 13%. The
good thing about this hill when you compare it to some of the others is you
get a good 60km/h+ downhill on the approach. It's still a pretty tough one
though.

My total ride on Sunday was 81km. Max speed was 79.3 just rolling down the
fruitshop hill in a tucked position.

Geoff

Old October 13th 04, 04:33 AM
hippy

"Geoff"
"hippy" wrote in message
40.1kph! That can't be right?!

Doesn't sound too far off the mark for C Grade and that circuit. I can
remember one race last year at Glenvale Cres. when the speeds on a couple

of
laps where up around the 50km/h mark but the overall avg was below 40km/h.
What was your max speed during this race?

Not sure.. but I can find out. I didn't contest the
sprint so my max before the '3 lap sign' will be a
good indicator of the 'normal' lap speeds.

hippy

Old October 13th 04, 05:20 AM
Shabby

hippy Wrote:
"Geoff"
"hippy" wrote in message
40.1kph! That can't be right?!

Doesn't sound too far off the mark for C Grade and that circuit.

can
remember one race last year at Glenvale Cres. when the speeds on

couple
of
laps where up around the 50km/h mark but the overall avg was belo

40km/h.
What was your max speed during this race?

Not sure.. but I can find out. I didn't contest the
sprint so my max before the '3 lap sign' will be a
good indicator of the 'normal' lap speeds.

hippy

C grade was averaging between 42 and 44kph all last summer, wit
sprints in the high fifties. Now that there's big bunches there is les
attacks, so the overall speed is slower (and everyone gets to finis
together).

I don;t think petrol is the concern, it's more related to time in m
case. I can ride to Glenvale, race and be home again in 3 hours wherea
it takes 2hrs each way to get to a road race, which is usually 2 to
hours long (ie. 6 or 7 hours out of your weekend). Crit racing is bi
becuase you can race and then head off to a BBQ for a few beer
afterwards (or have them in the car park if you're a vet)

--
Shabby

Old October 13th 04, 05:47 AM
hippy

"Shabby"
C grade was averaging between 42 and 44kph all last summer, with
sprints in the high fifties. Now that there's big bunches there is less
attacks, so the overall speed is slower (and everyone gets to finish
together).

Maybe it was just the size of the bunch that made it
feel fast? I don't pay attention to race speeds - I'll have
a look at my Polar data tonight..

Crit racing is big becuase you can race and then head off

and heavy people actually stand a chance, unlike the
often-hilly road races.

to a BBQ for a few beers afterwards (or have them in the
car park if you're a vet).

Why are only the vets allowed beer in the carpark?

hippy

Old October 13th 04, 10:30 AM
Etxy

hippy Wrote:

Race Glenvale or Dalmore or Dunlop or METEC
or Nyadale.. No silly hills. Well, METEC and
Nyadale have little 'bumps'.

Nyadale is not a bump!!! I almost died when I rode a
Nyadale in my first race ever. That was 2.5 years ago, I guess..

A question- what does BR mean? In the context of BR16 or whatever

--
Etxy

Old October 13th 04, 11:16 AM
DaveB

Etxy wrote:

A question- what does BR mean? In the context of BR16 or whatever.

BR=Bunch Ride. There were some attempts to come up with a better name,
but after 16 weeks BR seems to have stuck.

DaveB

Old October 13th 04, 11:43 AM
aeek

hippy Wrote:

Why are only the vets allowed beer in the carpark?

cos we're mature and responsible

(3.5 days to my first crit, 1st race ever - if I get up in time

--
aeek

Old October 13th 04, 12:14 PM
hippy

"DaveB" wrote in message
Etxy wrote:

A question- what does BR mean? In the context of BR16 or whatever.

BR=Bunch Ride. There were some attempts to come up with a better name,
but after 16 weeks BR seems to have stuck.

Us cyclists are a creative lot aren't we? ;-)

hippy