Chain cleaning

Old December 2nd 04, 09:26 AM
Alan Walker

Default Chain cleaning

Alan Walker wrote:

You must have an old bike. Modern chains, designed for 10 speed
cassettes, are much better - they never need cleaning! They wear out
before an old-fashioned chain would have been due for its first

clean.

The admirable Ms. S. Jackson wisely relied:

Not true! As long as you keep is submerged in warm tea (I find earl
grey works well) each night, a modern 10 speed chain can last as long
as three weeks. By that time, most people are bored with their
current
bike and have bought another anyway.

Regards,

Suzy (in a slightly silly mood)

To which I add:

What is silly about that? Earl Grey tea contains oil of bergamot and
is therefore an excellent lubricant.

Add this to the effect of the caffeine and we can now understand why
your chain is not only smooth and silent but decidely spritely.

Cheers

Old December 2nd 04, 09:47 AM
fred_kneeman

Alan Walker wrote:
Alan Walker wrote:

Suzy (in a slightly silly mood)

To which I add:

What is silly about that? Earl Grey tea contains oil of bergamot and
is therefore an excellent lubricant.

Add this to the effect of the caffeine and we can now understand why
your chain is not only smooth and silent but decidely spritely.

Cheers

What about if you use Lady Grey tea?
Will the lubricative properties of the oil of bergamot be negated by the
detergent effect of the orange oil?
xxx pakafn
ps: all my bikes a seven-speeds. Does this mean I should use coffee?
Will instant do, or I need to go drip-filter or stove top expresso-maker?