SMH: Aussie cyclists may get 'head start'

Old October 3rd 06, 12:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

Default SMH: Aussie cyclists may get 'head start'

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 14:34:25 +1000, suzyj wrote:

Melbournites probably do. We're a tad slow up here in Sydney.

We're just so quick we don't need a head start /fighting words

--
Dave Hughes |
"Hey, watch the 'fro" - Danny Glaze
Old October 3rd 06, 01:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"flyingdutch" wrote:

ask and you shall recieve. the first ones were done a little while ago
(StK junction), with Chandler Hwy not long after.
Flemington Rd is about to get em (including thru a roundabout!)

That's one place I definitely DO NOT want coloured lanes or otherwise. That
encourages people to use the lane, drivers expect it, but in the roundabout
you suddenly have to GIVE WAY TO CARS APPROACHING FROM BEHIND !!

One very trashy aspect of national road standardisation. A friend of mine
(quite an experienced cyclist) got caught out by this one recently. He took
the view, wrongly, that the coloured surface indicated he had some priority
to go right on the roundabout, and was clipped by a car going straight
through. Roads authorities claim that it is to give a route for less
confident riders to get through the roundabout rather than claiming the
road, but these cyclists are even more likely to be confused by the marking.

So folks, if you see a coloured lane through a roundabout (as has appeared
near my home) IGNORE it. You are not compelled to use it. I prefer to take
control of the road and go round the roundabout clear and safe.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old October 3rd 06, 02:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

vintage Wrote:

I get cards beeping occasionally and cars follow me thru as well LOL

Ditto with the contra flow bicycle access on Lennox St, Richmond. Twice
I've had motorists try to follow me, first one was via doing a right
turn into Lennox from Elizabeth St. Second one was a obviously blind
twept who tried to follow bike & I up Lennox through the intersection
at Highett St, when there is clear signage (for cars) denoting it is
one way, with contra access for bikes. Ehhhhhh! Braaaain hurts!

--
cfsmtb

That's a fun one.

Ped: "Didn't you see the 'No Entry' sign?"

Me: "That'd be the one immediately above the "Bicycles Excepted" sign."

Ped: *muttered profanity*

Old October 4th 06, 01:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Duracell Bunny wrote:

suzyj wrote:
Aussie cyclists may get 'head start'

October 3, 2006 - 1:29PM

Cyclists might soon get a head start at traffic lights across
Australia.

European research has shown providing cyclists with a designated box
slightly in front of motorists at major intersections greatly increases
road safety.

And now the National Transport Commission (NTC), the joint state and
federal body charged with improving transport, has proposed bicycle
boxes be used in Australia.

Senior NTC policy analyst Greg Deimos says the boxes increase
visibility for cyclists, therefore increasing their safety.

"Bicycle boxes protect cyclists who might otherwise be squeezed by
vehicles when traffic lights turn to green," Mr Deimos said.

"They give cyclists a head start to clear the intersection more safely,
without delaying other vehicles."

It'd be nice if they'd start by giving us time to clear the newly turned green
before it turns to fully red while we're still only halfway across - several of
those in Brisbane ...

For example, Riding Rd inbound at Wynnum Rd.

Tam*gets that b!tch every fkn morning....*