RTW or VFF day or AEF day or what?????

Old October 4th 06, 12:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Default RTW or VFF day or AEF day or what?????

MikeyOz wrote:
well I know at least 1 person did not enjoy their ride home from work
today,

I'd be tippign any newbies riding home into that northerly wouldn't have
enjoyed it either.

DaveB
Old October 4th 06, 12:47 PM posted to aus.bicycle
parawolf

cfsmtb Wrote:

So people want to see more grassroots cycling & clubs? Well, suggest
it, or, even better and closer to (your) home - get involved with the
local community breakfasts and make you presence felt in your suburb
etc.

Just joined (as in past fortnight) a cycling club myself. So I have to
wonder these things when i don't see _ANY_ there. Seriously found it
amazing that not even CSV was there. That was outstanding to me. CSV
could have done all the club advertising on their behalf.

Talk about missing the captive target market.

--
parawolf

Old October 5th 06, 01:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

parawolf wrote:
cfsmtb Wrote:

So people want to see more grassroots cycling & clubs? Well, suggest
it, or, even better and closer to (your) home - get involved with the
local community breakfasts and make you presence felt in your suburb
etc.

Just joined (as in past fortnight) a cycling club myself. So I have to
wonder these things when i don't see _ANY_ there. Seriously found it
amazing that not even CSV was there. That was outstanding to me. CSV
could have done all the club advertising on their behalf.

Talk about missing the captive target market.

Not necessarily CSV's target. Although a lot of riders who race also
commute, by far and away the vast majority of commuters (and
wannabe/maybe/shouldbe's) do not, won't and never will.

RTWD is a BV baby, not a CSV one, IMO.

Old October 5th 06, 02:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
deejbah

I'm surprised no-one has bought up that the AEF is thought by many to
essentially be a greenwashing astro-turf group, with connections to the
Institute of Public Affairs and the timber industry.

--
deejbah

Old October 5th 06, 02:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
parawolf

Bleve Wrote:

Not necessarily CSV's target. Although a lot of riders who race also
commute, by far and away the vast majority of commuters (and
wannabe/maybe/shouldbe's) do not, won't and never will.

RTWD is a BV baby, not a CSV one, IMO.

So CSV should only focus on A Grade and professional riders? So where
does that leave the person that is happy going around the Crit circuits
in D Grade for ever? They enjoy it just as much as anything else.

I'm just trying to relate this to a past experience I have had with a
Car Club. CAMS sees Class 2S licences as their bread and butter. People
pay a bunch of money for the 2S licence which gets you multi-car sprints
(against the clock, not against other cars). It is almost perfectly
aligned to a D Grade Crit rider.

Having used to be a membership secretary for a car club that had some
400 active members and 1000 financial members, the best way to sign up
people to clubs was at events just like RTWD (V8 Supercar race days,
car show & shine days, Car Factory Open Days). You would get your
largest membership increase there. People would be members of multiple
car clubs too, and at $80 for a years membership + having to own a $40k
car (new RRP, example Falcon XR6, or HSV XU6) to be qualifying as a
member - it was possibly more elite entry requirements than a local
cycling club.

I am just concerned that if CSV or clubs ignore events like RTWD where
they can do membership drives really simply - where do they think
future financial incomes are going to come from. There are only limited
number of A Grade racers out there and even fewer professionals.

--
parawolf

Old October 5th 06, 04:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
vaudegiant

deejbah Wrote:
I'm surprised no-one has bought up that the AEF is thought by many to
essentially be a greenwashing astro-turf group, with connections to the
Institute of Public Affairs and the timber industry.

They also seemed to have been formed with the idea that the farming
industry protect itself from any real and significant changes to
environmental policy.

......So, how, why and who at BV thought it would be appropriate to
have the VFF, the AEF and Don Burke involved at all in RTWD?

Pat

--
vaudegiant