Courier Mail March 5

Old March 5th 07, 11:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
osc[_2_]

Default Courier Mail March 5

Should be no surprise but here is a letter to the editor in yesterdays
Courier Mail:

“The story ‘Cyclist thanks her lucky stars’ (C-M March 3-4) reports yet
another cyclist knocked over by a car. It reminds me of swimmers in very
dangerous waters expressing surprise at a shark attack. Unless roads
have clearly marked lanes they will continue to be extremely dangerous
for cyclists. That is simply a fact and attempts to blame motorists for
accidents involving cyclists are unjustified.”

My reply which I would have loved to have been longer, but I'm hoping
it is printed!

So, Mr Timmermans (C-M March 5) believes that cyclists should not be on
our roads and are therefore at fault when hit by cars. Does he also
consider that the women attacked on Brisbane bike paths were asking for
it by being on the path alone, when in fact they should be able to
exercise safely in our society? Get real sir! Cyclists have a right to
use the road as long as they abide by the road rules which the majority
do. Accidents happen, but to imply that motorists are never to blame in
accidents with cyclists shows complete ignorance. Try riding a bike,
legally, on our roads and you'll understand that much of the danger is
caused by impatience, lack of driving skill and a complete disregard
for the rights of others. And that goes for car v car accidents as
well!

My reply which I would have loved to have been longer, but I'm hoping
it is printed! No wonder it is dangerous out there when people continue
to have these attitudes!

Stewart

--
osc

Old March 5th 07, 11:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 6, 9:38 am, osc
wrote:
[...]

Looks good to me - good luck!

Heck, coming down Annerley Road at 8.30 today, the number of idiot
drivers who try to share my new bike lane! Crikey!

Donga

Old March 6th 07, 12:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 6, 10:48 am, "Donga" wrote:
On Mar 6, 9:38 am, osc
wrote:

Should be no surprise but here is a letter to the editor in yesterdays
Courier Mail:

"The story 'Cyclist thanks her lucky stars' (C-M March 3-4) reports yet
another cyclist knocked over by a car. It reminds me of swimmers in very
dangerous waters expressing surprise at a shark attack. Unless roads
have clearly marked lanes they will continue to be extremely dangerous
for cyclists. That is simply a fact and attempts to blame motorists for
accidents involving cyclists are unjustified."

It is a fact, riding on the roads is dangerous. Riding on paths is
dangerous, driving cars is dangerous too. Putting bike lanes on
roads, however, may not be 'the' cure. The danger of riding on the
road is vastly overstated.

[...]

You mix what we should be able to do, with what risks we knowingly
take. The rapist argument is the classic one. A woman should be able
to walk anywhere, but if she does, she has to accept some
responsibiluty for the risk she takes, just as we, as cyclists, have
to accept responsibility for the risks we take. This does *not*
reduce the culpability of the people doing the wrong (the rapist, the
errant or homicidal car driver etc), but it is important, all the
same.

My reply which I would have loved to have been longer, but I'm hoping
it is printed! No wonder it is dangerous out there when people continue
to have these attitudes!

It's not that dangerous. Really. Ride smart, and you dramatically
reduce the risks of collision.

Stewart

--
osc

Looks good to me - good luck!

Heck, coming down Annerley Road at 8.30 today, the number of idiot
drivers who try to share my new bike lane! Crikey!

There's a very good case for bike lanes *not* being as safe as riding
normally on the road, like every other class of vehicle. If you're not
where drivers are looking, they won't see you. If they don't see you,
they run into you. Drivers don't look in bike lanes, and no amount of
politicing, education etc will change that. Ride with them, and be
seen, and be safer.

Old March 6th 07, 01:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

On Mar 6, 10:38 am, osc
wrote:
[...]

We kill sharks that attack people, should we continue the analogy?

Old March 6th 07, 02:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_24_]

Bleve Wrote:
snip...good topic and good comments....

There's a very good case for bike lanes *not* being as safe as riding
normally on the road, like every other class of vehicle. If you're not
where drivers are looking, they won't see you. If they don't see you,
they run into you. Drivers don't look in bike lanes, and no amount of
politicing, education etc will change that. Ride with them, and be
seen, and be safer.

concur...

--
rooman

Old March 6th 07, 02:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
EuanB[_6_]

Bleve Wrote:

There's a very good case for bike lanes *not* being as safe as riding
normally on the road, like every other class of vehicle. If you're not
where drivers are looking, they won't see you. If they don't see you,
they run into you. Drivers don't look in bike lanes, and no amount of
politicing, education etc will change that. Ride with them, and be
seen, and be safer.

I could have done with you over at BV forums a couple of weeks ago.
Fruitlessly tried to explain to a rider who only rides Beach Road in
off peak hours that riding as a part of normal traffic is not certain
death.

--
EuanB

Old March 6th 07, 04:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 6, 1:38 pm, EuanB
wrote:
Bleve Wrote:

There's a very good case for bike lanes *not* being as safe as riding
normally on the road, like every other class of vehicle. If you're not
where drivers are looking, they won't see you. If they don't see you,
they run into you. Drivers don't look in bike lanes, and no amount of
politicing, education etc will change that. Ride with them, and be
seen, and be safer.

I could have done with you over at BV forums a couple of weeks ago.
Fruitlessly tried to explain to a rider who only rides Beach Road in
off peak hours that riding as a part of normal traffic is not certain
death.

I'm still alive, so are you

How's your leg, do we get to call you limpy?

Old March 6th 07, 05:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Shane Stanley

In article ,
EuanB wrote:

Fruitlessly tried to explain to a rider who only rides Beach Road in
off peak hours that riding as a part of normal traffic is not certain
death.

Mind you, the way some (a minority, thankfully) ride Beach Road, they
may have a point. I'm amazed at the number who move to the left and out
of sight between parked cars.

--
Shane Stanley
Old March 6th 07, 06:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
EuanB[_7_]

Bleve Wrote:
On Mar 6, 1:38 pm, EuanB
wrote:
Bleve Wrote:

There's a very good case for bike lanes *not* being as safe as

riding
normally on the road, like every other class of vehicle. If you're

not
where drivers are looking, they won't see you. If they don't see

you,
they run into you. Drivers don't look in bike lanes, and no amount

of
politicing, education etc will change that. Ride with them, and be
seen, and be safer.

I could have done with you over at BV forums a couple of weeks ago.
Fruitlessly tried to explain to a rider who only rides Beach Road in
off peak hours that riding as a part of normal traffic is not certain
death.

I'm still alive, so are you

How's your leg, do we get to call you limpy?

Definitely on the mend, thanks for asking. Still hurts if I do
something daft like run or walk for a few hours (three's about my limit
at the moment) but getting better. Bike fitness sloooooooowly coming
back, haven't quite reached the stage of daily commuting yet but
getting there.

Figure I need to climb hills to speed up recovery, none on my commute
so I'm going to have to do some weekend riding.

--
EuanB

Old March 6th 07, 06:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
EuanB[_8_]

Shane Stanley Wrote:
In article ,
EuanB wrote:

Fruitlessly tried to explain to a rider who only rides Beach Road in
off peak hours that riding as a part of normal traffic is not certain
death.

Mind you, the way some (a minority, thankfully) ride Beach Road, they
may have a point. I'm amazed at the number who move to the left and out
of sight between parked cars.

That's pretty much the sort of riding he was advocating. Couldn't get
his head around that if you ride where people can see you, i.e. on
narrow lanes they actually have to /move/ to get around you, then
you're less likely to get hit.

Guess it's something you've got to experience to understand.

--
EuanB