Regulations on camping in the outback

Old March 11th 07, 08:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BikeManiac

Default Regulations on camping in the outback

This summer I want to bicycle around Australia. I have a tent and I
only want to stay 1 night at each place. If I can't find a campgroun,
how should I proceed if I need to camp in the wilderness. Is it
allowed? Do I need to ask for permission all the time?

I have seen that many roadhouses have 1 overnight camping facilities.
Are they for free - and if not how much do they charge for 1 tent 1
night (approx.)

Regards, Lucas Jensen

Old March 11th 07, 08:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BikeManiac

On 11 Mrz., 09:30, "BikeManiac" wrote:
This summer I want to bicycle around Australia. I have a tent and I
only want to stay 1 night at each place. If I can't find a campgroun,
how should I proceed if I need to camp in the wilderness. Is it
allowed? Do I need to ask for permission all the time?

I have seen that many roadhouses have 1 overnight camping facilities.
Are they for free - and if not how much do they charge for 1 tent 1
night (approx.)

Regards, Lucas Jensen

Sorry, there was a mistake. I have all the information from my Hema
Map. Usually roadhouses have camping areas with facilities (more than
1 night). Does anybodu know in what price range they are? Next, on the
map I see various rest areas with overnight camping (green icon as a
small tree with a bench). Are they for free?

Regards, Lucas

Old March 11th 07, 08:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 11, 6:50 pm, "BikeManiac" wrote:
On 11 Mrz., 09:30, "BikeManiac" wrote:

This summer I want to bicycle around Australia. I have a tent and I
only want to stay 1 night at each place. If I can't find a campgroun,
how should I proceed if I need to camp in the wilderness. Is it
allowed? Do I need to ask for permission all the time?

I have seen that many roadhouses have 1 overnight camping facilities.
Are they for free - and if not how much do they charge for 1 tent 1
night (approx.)

Regards, Lucas Jensen

Sorry, there was a mistake. I have all the information from my Hema
Map. Usually roadhouses have camping areas with facilities (more than
1 night). Does anybodu know in what price range they are? Next, on the
map I see various rest areas with overnight camping (green icon as a
small tree with a bench). Are they for free?

Regards, Lucas

It's a very big country, sparsely populated in many areas. You will
often be able to head up a side track and find a nice place to pitch
your tent, on public land. I once did this late at night and woke in
pitch black to an horrendous noise - it turned out I'd camped about a
metre from a railway. Luckily neither the tent or my bike were lying
on the track! I was scared ****less until I figured it out!

Donga

Old March 11th 07, 10:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BikeManiac

On 11 Mrz., 09:59, "Donga" wrote:
[...]

Donga- Zitierten Text ausblenden -

- Zitierten Text anzeigen -

But how do I know whether it's public or private?

Lucas

Old March 11th 07, 11:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_45_]

Don't forget a small, portable spade & a emergency roll of bog paper.
For those camping spots with no amenities.

--
cfsmtb

Old March 11th 07, 11:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 11, 8:39 pm, "BikeManiac" wrote:
On 11 Mrz., 09:59, "Donga" wrote:

[...]

Lucas- Hide quoted text -

Inside the fence or outside is a reliable guide. Besides, most owners
wouldn't mind and might even offer you a cup of tea. Just remember, if
you go through a gate, close it - you might let the sheep or cattle
out.

Old March 11th 07, 11:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

Donga wrote:
[...]

I once woke up on a golf course and another time in a mines blasting area.

Friday
Old March 11th 07, 09:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

On Mar 11, 7:50 pm, "BikeManiac" wrote:
On 11 Mrz., 09:30, "BikeManiac" wrote:

This summer I want to bicycle around Australia. I have a tent and I
only want to stay 1 night at each place. If I can't find a campgroun,
how should I proceed if I need to camp in the wilderness. Is it
allowed? Do I need to ask for permission all the time?

I have seen that many roadhouses have 1 overnight camping facilities.
Are they for free - and if not how much do they charge for 1 tent 1
night (approx.)

Regards, Lucas Jensen

Sorry, there was a mistake. I have all the information from my Hema
Map. Usually roadhouses have camping areas with facilities (more than
1 night). Does anybodu know in what price range they are? Next, on the
map I see various rest areas with overnight camping (green icon as a
small tree with a bench). Are they for free?

Regards, Lucas

On my round-Australia trip in 2002 the charge for a campsite was
usually in the $6-$10 range (you're basically paying for use of the
shower facilities).

As for camping in the wilderness, the old line of "it's easier to beg
forgiveness than to ask permission" probably applies. If you look
poor and speak with a thick accent you'll be able to get away with a
lot. ;-)

BTH

Old March 11th 07, 09:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle
just us

We usually camp "off the road". It is a big country and up here in the north
you can hide very easily. If on your own I stay away from sites beside the
road that look like they are used as campsites as you would be vulnerable to
ppl like the Wolf Creek man (LOL). On a recent bush trip we left our bikes
hiding (locked to a tree although I dont think anyone would find them) in
long grass on a couple of occasions and just carried our bags 400mts or so
cross country to a creek or waterhole.
It is a big country, room to hide and have a great overnight rest. Some of
those marked campgrounds that are free are right beside busy highways with
trucks shooting past all night. I would suggest if you are going to use them
take some earplugs :P
Kathy

Old March 11th 07, 10:47 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 12, 7:59 am, "just us" wrote:
We usually camp "off the road". It is a big country and up here in the north
you can hide very easily. If on your own I stay away from sites beside the
road that look like they are used as campsites as you would be vulnerable to
ppl like the Wolf Creek man (LOL). On a recent bush trip we left our bikes
hiding (locked to a tree although I dont think anyone would find them) in
long grass on a couple of occasions and just carried our bags 400mts or so
cross country to a creek or waterhole.
It is a big country, room to hide and have a great overnight rest. Some of
those marked campgrounds that are free are right beside busy highways with
trucks shooting past all night. I would suggest if you are going to use them
take some earplugs :P
Kathy

Just look out for hoop snakes, drop bears, and of course in north
Queensland, Northern Territory and northern WA, crocs - even a long
way inland.

Donga