Regulations on camping in the outback

Old March 11th 07, 11:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Default Regulations on camping in the outback

Donga wrote:

Just remember, if
you go through a gate, close it - you might let the sheep or cattle
out.

The rule is leave gates how you found them. The gate may have been left
open intentionally by the landowner.

Old March 12th 07, 01:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

BikeManiac wrote:
This summer I want to bicycle around Australia. I have a tent and I
only want to stay 1 night at each place. If I can't find a campgroun,
how should I proceed if I need to camp in the wilderness. Is it
allowed? Do I need to ask for permission all the time?

Lots of sensible advice from other people.

I'll add not to assume you can get away with lighting a fire anywhere,
Far better to have a small fuel stove. This helps the "foregiveness
rather than permission aspect".

I have seen that many roadhouses have 1 overnight camping facilities.
Are they for free - and if not how much do they charge for 1 tent 1
night (approx.)

Probably not free.
Lots of places will also charge for water as well.
Before you pay, you may want to check the campground as some turnout to
be gravel only.

If you want to know a bit more about those "campsites" on Hema maps, you
might like to find a copy of Camps Australia Wide (also the website).
Current issue is version 4.

Aimed mainly at travellers in tin cans, CAW has Hema maps and numbers to
a table that describe each site and its facilities. $ indicates ones
with a few, which is generally related to services/popularity/view/etc.

It is a bit weightly for bicycling, but you could easily gut a spiral
bound version. Places are only listed if they have a part under $20 per
night e.g. a camping site is less than $20.

Regards, Lucas Jensen

Old March 12th 07, 02:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tex

"BT Humble" wrote in message
oups.com...

As for camping in the wilderness, the old line of "it's easier to beg
forgiveness than to ask permission" probably applies. If you look
poor and speak with a thick accent you'll be able to get away with a
lot. ;-)

I thought you just won them over with your good looks

Old March 12th 07, 03:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Tex wrote:
"BTHumble" wrote in message

As for camping in the wilderness, the old line of "it's easier to beg
forgiveness than to ask permission" probably applies. If you look
poor and speak with a thick accent you'll be able to get away with a
lot. ;-)

I thought you just won them over with your good looks

You're a cruel man, Tex. And all this time I thought we had something
special? :-(

BTH

Old March 12th 07, 05:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 12, 1:28 pm, "BT Humble" wrote:
Tex wrote:
"BTHumble" wrote in message

As for camping in the wilderness, the old line of "it's easier to beg
forgiveness than to ask permission" probably applies. If you look
poor and speak with a thick accent you'll be able to get away with a
lot. ;-)

I thought you just won them over with your good looks

You're a cruel man, Tex. And all this time I thought we had something
special? :-(

BTH

Get a room, cowboys.

Old March 12th 07, 06:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-03-11, Donga (aka Bruce)
On Mar 12, 7:59 am, "just us" wrote:
It is a big country, room to hide and have a great overnight rest. Some of
those marked campgrounds that are free are right beside busy highways with
trucks shooting past all night. I would suggest if you are going to use them
take some earplugs :P

Just look out for hoop snakes, drop bears, and of course in north
Queensland, Northern Territory and northern WA, crocs - even a long
way inland.

Don't be rediculous. There are no such things as crocs.

--
TimC
"I often hear people claim they perform skills better slightly drunk if
Old March 12th 07, 06:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_40_]

ummmm... 'www.crocs.com' (http://www.crocs.com)

--
rooman

Old March 13th 07, 01:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ghostgum[_4_]

Donga Wrote:

It's a very big country, sparsely populated in many areas. You will
often be able to head up a side track and find a nice place to pitch
your tent, on public land. I once did this late at night and woke in
pitch black to an horrendous noise - it turned out I'd camped about a
metre from a railway. Luckily neither the tent or my bike were lying
on the track! I was scared ****less until I figured it out!

Then there are the quiet campsites. I heard of a cyclist who pitched
his tent in the dark and awoke to find he was at the cemetery.
Another reason for having good bicycle lights.

--
ghostgum