Riding up Oliver's Hill to be barred

Old March 15th 07, 04:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_39_]

Default Riding up Oliver's Hill to be barred

Harng Goh Wrote:

Wait until they finish Eastlink, then maybe they will have an "open
day" for non-vehicular traffic like they did with the Eastern. 90km
out and back.

droooooooollllll

--
gplama

Old March 15th 07, 04:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
byron27[_19_]

PiledHigher Wrote:
On Mar 15, 2:46 pm, gplama gplama.2ng...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Bleve Wrote:

Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of vehicle?

Speaking of.... I sooooooo want to break out the TT bike on the

Eastern
Freeway! That'd be one wicked run!

--
gplama

I've always wanted to do a one exit run on a freeway, i.e. pick an
appropriate section (preferrably down hill) with good shoulder and go
down it, you could be on and off in a minute.

For example Blackburn to Forster Rds on the southeastern, downhill and
~1km long.

they have a race every year on the freeway from Belmont up to
Joondalup in Perth (about 40 clicks i guess) which is awesome. 3 lanes
of traffic all to yourself.

biggest danger is hitting the reflective lane markers at 50+!

--
byron27

Old March 15th 07, 04:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Shane Stanley

In article . com,
"Bleve" wrote:

Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of vehicle?

As others have said, yes. In fact, Beach Road is a good example, with
the ban on certain size trucks overnight and at weekends.

--
Shane Stanley
Old March 15th 07, 04:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 15, 3:08 pm, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on 14 Mar 2007 20:38:11 -0700

Bleve wrote:

Interesting to see if it's actually legal to force riders off a normal
road. If there's a police direction, that's one thing, but a
permanent rule? Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of
vehicle?

Most freeways in most states prohibit animals and animal-drawn vehicles.
Some prohibit bicycles on part or all.

Some roads have weight limits, some have size limits. Don't see why
they can't be about underweight as well as overweight

I thought freeways were a different (special) case though? My
understanding was that a normal gazetted road was open to all
'vehicles' (which, AFAIK, includes bicycles). Thus the question.
And, Andrew, I've ridden up Olivers Hill and felt as safe as I feel on
most busy roads. Your paranoia does not mean the road is any more or
less safe than any other road.

Zebee

Old March 15th 07, 04:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 15, 3:08 pm, "Harng Goh" wrote:
gplama wrote:
Bleve Wrote:
Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of vehicle?

Speaking of.... I sooooooo want to break out the TT bike on the Eastern
Freeway! That'd be one wicked run!

Wait until they finish Eastlink, then maybe they will have an "open
day" for non-vehicular traffic like they did with the Eastern. 90km
out and back.

There's talk within Blackburn of organising a race along it before it
gets opened, maybe in conjunction with a BV ride as well. We'll see
what happens.

Old March 15th 07, 04:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Bleve Wrote:

Is it legal on normal roadways to prohibit a class of vehicle?

Speaking of.... I sooooooo want to break out the TT bike on the Eastern
Freeway! That'd be one wicked run!

--
gplama

I've always wanted to do a one exit run on a freeway, i.e. pick an
appropriate section (preferrably down hill) with good shoulder and go
down it, you could be on and off in a minute.

For example Blackburn to Forster Rds on the southeastern, downhill and
~1km long

I did that on a freeway in Queensland once by accident.

Old March 15th 07, 05:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jono L[_10_]

"Frankston police have been directing them to detour"

What a ****ing joke, last time I was there it was more like Frankston
police forcing us to detour by nearly bloody killing everyong and
hardly approaching this issue as though it was in our (cyclists- or
hell riders if you will) best interests, what an absolute pile of ****.

--
Jono L

Old March 15th 07, 05:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Euan

AndrewJ wrote:

Of course it is possible to prohibit vehicles. In this case, it is
much safer to ride up Hopes Rise. You are looking at 80km/hr car
traffic coming around a bend straight at you when you are doing
around 40km/hr if you are Lance Armstrong, and about 15km/hr if you
are me.

Really? Not been my experience. All but the most cavalier travel
within the limits of what they can see which certainly isn't 80km/h.
--
Cheers
Euan
Old March 15th 07, 05:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 15, 1:26 pm, gplama gplama.2ng...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
$140 big ones for breaking away from the pack? No chance we'll see Vino
on the Hell Ride

--
gplama

It sounds like you guys recruited Mr Plod into nobbling the Qld
entrant. What a sorry lot. Go Reds!

Donga

Old March 15th 07, 06:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
MalP[_3_]

Euan Wrote:
AndrewJ wrote:

Of course it is possible to prohibit vehicles. In this case, it is
much safer to ride up Hopes Rise. You are looking at 80km/hr car
traffic coming around a bend straight at you when you are doing
around 40km/hr if you are Lance Armstrong, and about 15km/hr if you
are me.

Really? Not been my experience. All but the most cavalier travel
within the limits of what they can see which certainly isn't 80km/h.
--
Cheers
EuanThe -legal -limit there is 60, BTW.

--