track racing gloves

Old March 15th 07, 05:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Default track racing gloves

I've been looking for a good pair of track racing gloves for some
time, ones with decent knuckle armour (one must, after all, win the
punchup after the hook, and knuckles are fragile). I haven't seen
them anywhere though, motorcycle road gloves are too heavy and clumsy,
dirtbike gloves look like they'd disintegrate at the first touch of
concrete or bitumen (most velodrones I've been on ....) and I know a
lot of trackies that use golf gloves, but I wonder how resilient they
are and they offer no knuckle protection. Googling around for track
gloves shows a few hits for keirin gloves, but they're expensive
(around $130USD) and I wasn't able to find an Oz distributor. But, it
turns out that Tuff make a keirin glove. And, the shop I work at
carries Tuff gloves sometimes. My review of these gloves is yet to
come, but anyone racing track who's after an affordable track
sprinters glove may be interested, their RRP is about $50 and I'll
hopefully be testing them this w'end at Blackburn. Not *really*
testing them though!

Rumour has it that Japanese Keirin riders are trained to not let go of
the bars when they crash, which is interesting. Something about
reduced risk of collarbone breaks? Anyone know the full story? I can
think of a few reasons for why it might be good, but don't really
know....

I'll have my new bling Easton carbon track bars too ... stiffer,
lighter, stronger ... w00t!

Old March 15th 07, 05:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

On Mar 15, 4:11 pm, "Bleve" wrote:
[...]

I thought golf gloves were the thing, no knuckle protection though.

Holding on won't help you when you break your collarbone by landing on
your shoulder...

Old March 15th 07, 05:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

On Mar 15, 4:11 pm, "Bleve" wrote:
I'll have my new bling Easton carbon track bars too ... stiffer,
lighter, stronger ... w00t!

Carbon for track, I thought that the sprinters were resolutely staying
with steel bars.

Old March 15th 07, 05:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 15, 3:49 pm, "PiledHigher" wrote:
On Mar 15, 4:11 pm, "Bleve" wrote:

[...]

your shoulder...- Hide quoted text -

No, the best way to avoid breaking your collarbone in a crash is to be
drunk. You are much more relaxed and tend to roll about. It works!

Donga

Old March 15th 07, 06:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 15, 4:51 pm, "PiledHigher" wrote:
On Mar 15, 4:11 pm, "Bleve" wrote:

I'll have my new bling Easton carbon track bars too ... stiffer,
lighter, stronger ... w00t!

Carbon for track, I thought that the sprinters were resolutely staying
with steel bars.

Nope. Both Shane Kelly & Jobie Dajka were using Easton EC90's at
Leongatha and Bendigo.

Old March 15th 07, 06:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 15, 4:49 pm, "PiledHigher" wrote:
On Mar 15, 4:11 pm, "Bleve" wrote:

[...]

It didn't make much sense to me either, but maybe holding on reduces
the risk of an arm getting caught in someone's chain or similar? As
above, it was only a rumour, I don't know if it's true or not.

Old March 15th 07, 06:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Snuffy[_3_]

Howsabout this?

http://www.kookiebikes.com/components/misc/misc.htm

--
Snuffy

Old March 15th 07, 07:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on 14 Mar 2007 22:11:16 -0700
Bleve wrote:
I've been looking for a good pair of track racing gloves for some
time, ones with decent knuckle armour (one must, after all, win the
punchup after the hook, and knuckles are fragile). I haven't seen
them anywhere though, motorcycle road gloves are too heavy and clumsy,
dirtbike gloves look like they'd disintegrate at the first touch of
concrete or bitumen (most velodrones I've been on ....) and I know a

Dirtbike gloves seem to hold together that I've seen.

Find some motorcycle gloves that have been crashed in and get them
for free. Cut the knuckle protection off and sew to the golf gloves.

Ask a motorcycle shop that sponsors racers for any crashed gloves, or
put a sign up in a wreckers.

Most knackered gloves have the palms ripped out and the back of the
hand is fine.

Zebee
Old March 15th 07, 10:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
parawolf[_11_]

I've got gloves like these which might be suitable. Mine are "Outdoor
Designs" and got them in a city at Paddy Palin or similar.

http://www.gearshift.co.uk/acatalog/...ZYG5Kqq%2ehtml

--
parawolf

Old March 15th 07, 10:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
parawolf[_12_]

Or these...

http://www.rocketparts.com/gloves.html

--