Perth Freeway BikeHike Prang Video

Old March 19th 07, 03:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Default Perth Freeway BikeHike Prang Video

From an earlier thread:
http://homepage.mac.com/duncan.farro...eTheater1.html

Couldn't get youtube to work but the above did.

Enjoy!

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.
Old March 19th 07, 05:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

DeF wrote:
From an earlier thread:
http://homepage.mac.com/duncan.farro...eTheater1.html

Couldn't get youtube to work but the above did.

Enjoy!

DeF.

I got the youtube stuff working...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M22udVUtzc

Same as above but lower quality image.

DeF

Old March 19th 07, 06:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_42_]

wtf? Did anyone stop to help? I'm sure there were people behind who
did but that vid doesn't give the rest of the pack (or the ride) a very
good image from my stand point.

Happy to be corrected!

--
gplama

Old March 19th 07, 08:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_43_]

Gumby Wrote:
Haven't seen the TdF stop for a prang very often so perhaps you may want
to lay blame there.

Maybe you want to actually say what your standpoint is?

Ease up.. I was amazed by the amount of people who just kept riding
along after knowing there was an accident. Nothing more.

--
gplama

Old March 19th 07, 08:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

gplama wrote:
wtf? Did anyone stop to help? I'm sure there were people behind who
did but that vid doesn't give the rest of the pack (or the ride) a very
good image from my stand point.

Happy to be corrected!

Heaps of people stopped. The helmet camera gives a limited view.
The prang happened near the front of a bunch of about 100 strong
(estimate - I'd just spent several minutes moving towards the
outside front where I thought I'd be safer!). I heard later that
"at least twenty" bikes ended up on the deck but all were up again
pretty quickly. As it happened, I saw the guy who fell in front
of me at the end (amazing as there were 6000+ riders) and he'd ridden
to the finish. He had some blood coming from a cut on his face and
was insisting that he'd "had worse" to anyone who was asking him how
he was.

I agree with some of your sentiment though. I thought there was
some pretty aggressive and selfish riding going on in the fast
bunches. The main reason I was were I was in the pack was that
there'd been some scary moments earlier (see other thread on the
bikehike) with locked brakes etc. This was the first ride I've
been on where I've smelt burning rubber!

At least in this case the fast aggressive bunches were in the
clear and not mixing it with slower less experienced riders.
The same cannot be said for the fast and aggressive bunches
that do the Round the River Sat and Sun mornings in Perth,
especially along the Freeway bike path.

The basic problem is that young blokes in packs very often
act like dickheads. I should know, I've been one.

DeF.

--
To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.
Old March 19th 07, 09:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Gumby wrote:
DeF wrote:
DeF wrote:
From an earlier thread:
http://homepage.mac.com/duncan.farro...eTheater1.html

Couldn't get youtube to work but the above did.

Enjoy!

DeF.

I got the youtube stuff working...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M22udVUtzc

Same as above but lower quality image.

DeF

I reckon the first thing you thought was
"That was close"
then, "Glad I got the video working this'll look great on youtube"
then, "6000 riders, I aint got a first aid cert, keep riding"

You got that about right. I'd had the "that was close" thought
several times earlier on. This time it was "that was close to
his head". And you're right about the first aid stuff - I didn't
have anything remotely useful in terms of skills or materials
except possibly my mobile which is hardly rare. Also, riding
against the flow is not easy.

DeF

--
To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.

Old March 19th 07, 09:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Plodder

"Gumby" stevendigitmckiernan@iinet-dot-net-dot-au wrote in message
gplama wrote:
wtf? Did anyone stop to help? I'm sure there were people behind who
did but that vid doesn't give the rest of the pack (or the ride) a very
good image from my stand point. Happy to be corrected!

Haven't seen the TdF stop for a prang very often so perhaps you may want
to lay blame there.

Maybe you want to actually say what your standpoint is?

Ummm - TdF, Freeway Bike Hike. I can tell the difference, so what I'd expect
in one I wouldn't expect in the other...

me

Old March 19th 07, 01:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

DeF wrote:
From an earlier thread:
http://homepage.mac.com/duncan.farro...eTheater1.html

Couldn't get youtube to work but the above did.

Enjoy!

DeF.

Looks like the red and blue riders got too close and tangled. Hard to
say who's at fault though.

Friday

Perth Freeway Bike Hike DeF Australia 6 March 22nd 07 01:48 AM
Sunday Mail report on nasty prang in Perth DeF Australia 73 November 23rd 06 08:15 AM
Perth Freeway Bike Hike SteveA Australia 4 December 15th 05 06:37 AM
Perth Freeway bike path Duncan Farrow Australia 1 May 13th 05 03:47 PM
Perth Freeway Bike Hike Duncan Farrow Australia 67 March 23rd 05 08:05 AM