Time to rename the Motoring section?

Old March 26th 07, 02:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_77_]

Default Time to rename the Motoring section?

... to Ride? Is it possibly a more accurate representation of current
road users?

Anyway, read on for a positive selection of reader feedback in The
Age's Drive Your Say section, (although Alan Barron should of been told
to do homework regarding consolidated revenue!). Overall, pleasing to
read that some myths are possibly being quietly dispelled in the public
consciousness.

*****

Your Say: March 21, 2007
http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/y...e#contentSwap1

Taxpaying cyclists hard to myth

Alan Barron (Drive, 14/3) thinks cyclists and the Melbourne City
Council want to frustrate his attempts to whiz down St Kilda Road by
improving the cycle lanes. And to support his case he trots out that
hoary myth that cyclists don't pay road taxes. This will probably come
as a revelation to Mr Barron, but most cyclists own vehicles and, guess
what, they pay road taxes and fuel taxes and registration fees the same
as any other motorist.

And on top of that, there is all that Lycra to buy, and spare tubes,
and those expensive sunnies, and the lattes and muffins, not to mention
having to contend with the occasional car. Get over it and learn to
share the road with other road users, including cyclists. Either that
or start a campaign against trams using St Kilda Road.

Alan Crompton, Chelsea

*****

Bike lanes to be applauded

It must be apparent to all road users, including the trendy ones from
the inner city referred to by Alan Barron of Grovedale (Drive, 14/3),
that there is far too much traffic in the city and that it is
increasing. Any move to reduce that traffic by promoting bike lanes is
to be applauded. Bike lanes reduce traffic, car fumes and promote a
healthier lifestyle. Any reduction in road speed also makes it safer
for pedestrians and cyclists in the city.

We should encourage the Government to improve public transport and
consider a levy on cars using the city. I am a car driver and cyclist -
as are many others - and I think reducing car use, particularly those
with only one occupant, is also a good idea.

Elwyn Davies, Yarraville

*****

Cyclists pay taxes too

I cycle to work in Richmond from Diamond Creek and I pay taxes on the
car I leave behind every day. Bicycles cause no damage to roads. And
from Greensborough on, I am faster than the traffic. I'm sure motorists
are glad there is one less car on the road. Melbourne City Council is
there to serve its residents who would probably prefer you didn't
commute from Grovedale and choke their environment.

James Hall, Diamond Creek

*****

Encouraging cycling helps all

Why would Alan Barron (Drive, 14/3) bother to commute by car from
Grovedale to Melbourne? Has his sea change gone wrong? Despite what he
says, most cyclists have one or two cars and do pay taxes and fees;
only a small amount of the tax on petrol is used to maintain roads; and
a lot of the people I work with cycle in from the outer suburbs. Many
use public transport for half the distance and cycle the rest. Can I
suggest Alan considers doing the same to reduce his frustration about
driving?

Cycling reduces stress, pollution, the cost of maintaining roads, and
the burden on the public health system. The Melbourne City Council
isn't just helping cyclists, Alan, it's helping you by encouraging
people to commute by bike. Cyclists pay income tax, GST, fees, charges
and council rates, just like you.

Wolf Damschitz, Hawthorn East

--
cfsmtb

Telegraph motoring section John Hearns UK 12 October 16th 06 10:56 PM
the future of motoring thrawn UK 2 September 1st 06 11:00 PM
Praise for the Brompton from a motoring journalist Matt B UK 3 February 5th 06 10:54 PM
Motoring and trolls Simon Brooke UK 84 December 20th 05 06:27 PM
Sun motoring editor on 2 wheels. Simon Mason UK 53 June 7th 05 11:00 PM