My question is: why is it that

Old March 31st 07, 02:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Default My question is: why is it that

Plodder wrote:
"Terryc" wrote in message

Plodder wrote:

"Terryc" wrote in message

Donga wrote:

You are mistaken - Einstein invented the light globe and his first
name was not Phil:

Nope, he "improved" the vacumn incandescent light globe. There were other
around before him. I believe his major claim really is in giving us a
degradable light globe.

Nope again - try Edison...

Well, you are welcome to your version of history.

"In addressing the question "Who invented the incandescent lamp?" historians
Robert Friedel and Paul Israel (1987, 115-117) list 22 inventors of
incandescent lamps prior to Swan and Edison.

Exactly what I said.

They conclude that Edison's
version was able to outstrip the others because of a combination of factors:
an effective incandescent material, a higher vacuum than others were able to
achieve and a high resistance lamp

Exactly what I said, vacumn incandescents degrade as the metal in the
filament boils off.

that made power distribution from a
centralized source economically viable. Another historian, Thomas Hughes,
has attributed Edison's success to the fact that he invented an entire,
integrated system of electric lighting"

Which is not inventing the light globe.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_globe

Well, that explains a lot. It is a toss up betweem Microsoft Encarta and
Wikipedia as to which has the most crap in it.
Old March 31st 07, 03:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duracell Bunny[_14_]

And I believe Nik Tesla had some non-incandescent lights pretty early on
too.

Always did fancy making myself a little Tesla coil to take care of some
neighbouring cats

DB

--
Duracell Bunny

Old April 1st 07, 01:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Plodder

"Donga" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 31, 7:57 am, "Plodder" wrote:
"Terryc" wrote in message

Plodder wrote:
"Terryc" wrote in message

Donga wrote:

You are mistaken - Einstein invented the light globe and his first
name was not Phil:

Nope, he "improved" the vacumn incandescent light globe. There were
other
around before him. I believe his major claim really is in giving us a
degradable light globe.

Nope again - try Edison...

Well, you are welcome to your version of history.

"In addressing the question "Who invented the incandescent lamp?"
historians
Robert Friedel and Paul Israel (1987, 115-117) list 22 inventors of
incandescent lamps prior to Swan and Edison. They conclude that Edison's
version was able to outstrip the others because of a combination of
factors:
an effective incandescent material, a higher vacuum than others were able
achieve and a high resistance lamp that made power distribution from a

From:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_globe

Nothing about Einstein...- Hide quoted text -

Homer Simpson is an impeccable source. You must be wrong.

D'OH! If I'd known your source I would have kept schtumm...