Cyclocity

Old March 28th 07, 01:07 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_87_]

Default Cyclocity

From this mornings ABC Radio National Breakfast audio (28/3)
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/breakfast/s...07/1883374.htm

An interview with Jeremy Male, JCDecaux's CEO Northern Europe, talks
about CityCycle (Cyclocity) public bike program. Listen in at about 27
minute mark in the first hour (6.15–7am)

Cyclocity
It is a move which promises to reduce greenhouse gases, quash traffic
congestion and make us fitter all in the one hit. The idea is to make
thousands of low-cost rental bikes available across metropolitan areas
which can be hired for less than two dollars an hour.

Sydney and Melbourne are reportedly considering the Cyclocity program
which has already been successfully introduced to several European
cities. Cyclocity is a subsidiary of the outdoors advertising giant JC
Decaux. Jeremy Male is the company's CEO for Northern Europe.

--
cfsmtb

Old March 28th 07, 09:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 28, 10:07 pm, cfsmtb cfsmtb.2o5...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
From this mornings ABC Radio National Breakfast audio (28/3)http://www.abc.net.au/rn/breakfast/s...07/1883374.htm

An interview with Jeremy Male, JCDecaux's CEO Northern Europe, talks
about CityCycle (Cyclocity) public bike program. Listen in at about 27
minute mark in the first hour (6.15-7am)

Cyclocity
It is a move which promises to reduce greenhouse gases, quash traffic
congestion and make us fitter all in the one hit. The idea is to make
thousands of low-cost rental bikes available across metropolitan areas
which can be hired for less than two dollars an hour.

Sydney and Melbourne are reportedly considering the Cyclocity program
which has already been successfully introduced to several European
cities. Cyclocity is a subsidiary of the outdoors advertising giant JC
Decaux. Jeremy Male is the company's CEO for Northern Europe.

--
cfsmtb

Cool. I went along last night to a presentation by the architects for
the Brisbane City Masterplan - lots of big pie/sky stuff like
underground light rail. I'll send them this.

They seem to like bikes and treat cars as a necessary evil to be
reduced - all good - but they sure don't know what cyclists like. They
were coming up with ideas like a back lane network. I asked if they'd
considered the roads? A little bit of car speed reduction and some
connections we'd be happy as Larry. Who needs green paint and other
assorted crud treatments? OK, it's good to tell the cars to get off a
piece of road in key places, but whence the idea that we need a
dedicated lane throughout?

donga

Old March 29th 07, 02:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Christopher Biggs

"Donga" moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

Cool. I went along last night to a presentation by the architects for
the Brisbane City Masterplan - lots of big pie/sky stuff

I was there too.

They seem to like bikes and treat cars as a necessary evil to be
reduced - all good - but they sure don't know what cyclists like.
They were coming up with ideas like a back lane network. I asked if they'd
considered the roads?

There are really two entirely differering sets of requirements here.

1: what do existing cyclists want from the roads (a bit more room,
safer intersections)

2: what kind of infrastructure is needed to coax _non-cyclists_ out of
their cars (some dedicated cross-cbd bike lanes, or at least wide shoulders), and
better bikeway connectivity.

I think that opening up some of the clogged CBD laneways has some
merit as a general urban renewal tactic---one particular lane shortcut
saves me 5 minutes of parking on george st. Creating a whole
cross-block network is a nutty idea (esp since most of the north-south
lanes involve changes of level).

--chris