100 year old walked, biked, didn't own a car

Old April 2nd 07, 04:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Default 100 year old walked, biked, didn't own a car

Today's Mackay Daily Mercury reports on 100 year old Mandy Fanning's
birthday. Asked what her secret of longevity was, Mandy said ""I have
walked a lot in my life, though, I didn't drive a car and I only had a
bike when I was in my 20s."

http://tinyurl.com/29wvhp
Old April 2nd 07, 02:54 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_101_]

Peter Wrote:
Today's Mackay Daily Mercury reports on 100 year old Mandy Fanning's
birthday. Asked what her secret of longevity was, Mandy said ""I have
walked a lot in my life, though, I didn't drive a car and I only had a
bike when I was in my 20s."

http://tinyurl.com/29wvhp

Well there's a excellent example move or lose it.

Wonder what she was riding 80-70 years ago? Hartley? Malvern Star?
Speedwell? Local brand, ie: Blackbird?

--
cfsmtb

Old April 2nd 07, 10:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

cfsmtb wrote:

Peter Wrote:
Today's Mackay Daily Mercury reports on 100 year old Mandy Fanning's
birthday. Asked what her secret of longevity was, Mandy said ""I have
walked a lot in my life, though, I didn't drive a car and I only had a
bike when I was in my 20s."

http://tinyurl.com/29wvhp

Well there's a excellent example move or lose it.

Wonder what she was riding 80-70 years ago? Hartley? Malvern Star?
Speedwell? Local brand, ie: Blackbird?

My LBS has been operating continuously since the 1930s. On the wall
there is a poster for the King's Birthday 50 Mile Handicap, sponsored by
the local brand Fields cycles "for the Track or for the Road." There are
still a few Fields bikes floating around Mackay, although Malvern Stars
were pretty popular during that era. I have a great photo of Mackay's
main street in the 1940s where there are very few cars but hundreds of
bicycles parked in the centre of the roads. No traffic problems in those
days but just as many people travelling.
Old April 2nd 07, 11:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Michael Warner

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 13:51:32 +1000, Peter wrote:

Today's Mackay Daily Mercury reports on 100 year old Mandy Fanning's
birthday. Asked what her secret of longevity was, Mandy said ""I have
walked a lot in my life, though, I didn't drive a car and I only had a
bike when I was in my 20s."

So the secret to a long life is to give up cycling when you turn 30!

Old April 3rd 07, 03:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound[_2_]

"Peter" wrote in message
. com.au...
cfsmtb wrote:

Peter Wrote:
[...]

Dunno about the "just as many people travelling" bit. What was the
population of Mackay in the 1940s?

Old April 3rd 07, 04:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Resound wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
. com.au...
cfsmtb wrote:

Peter Wrote:
[...]

I mean in the main street. There are hundreds of bikes parked but today
there are hundreds of cars circulating at lunch time looking for parking
spots.
Old April 3rd 07, 04:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SomeGuy[_27_]

Resound Wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message
. com.au...
cfsmtb wrote:

Peter Wrote:
[...]

The oldest information I can find on the ABS website indicitates the
population was ~65 000 people in 1988, compared with ~85 000 for 2006.
I can't find anything in the history of the town to indictate there was
a population boom in the 1940s.

--
SomeGuy

Old April 3rd 07, 04:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SomeGuy[_26_]

Peter Wrote:
Resound wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
. com.au...
cfsmtb wrote:

Peter Wrote:
[...]

Surely larger town means more traffic in the centre of town?

--
SomeGuy

Old April 3rd 07, 06:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound[_2_]

"SomeGuy" wrote in message

Resound Wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message
. com.au...
cfsmtb wrote:

Peter Wrote:
[...]

There was (generally speaking) one in the 50s though.

Old April 3rd 07, 07:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_106_]

Another take, most town centres were actually, town centres, before
industry, retail and the population decentralised out to the growing
suburban sprawl. Ok the population has increased exponentially in many
cases, but for an example, track down photos of street life in the
Melbourne CBD pre-WW2. The foot/cycle/PT traffic was incredible in
comparison to today, as these were folks sole form of transport.

--
cfsmtb