Better Road Signs or NO Road Signs

Old April 24th 07, 03:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Default Better Road Signs or NO Road Signs

PeteSig wrote:

The extreme of this 'nanny' approach would have to be the range of new
yellow warning signs found today on many of our rural secondary roads, like
this:
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/220...74746151zdehFp

Talk about stating the bleedin' obvious!! But I guess without it some drunk
hoon will sue the local council because there was no warning about the
f%#&in' forest!

In NSW, that is an council arse covering exercise to save your rates
increasing.

1) Idiot driving hire truck drives along that road and causes damage to
hire truck from overgrowing trees. Idiot tries to claim damages off
council. council says "we didn't know about that problem, thus we are
not liable"[1].

2) Council now "knows" about the problem, so they have to do something.

3) Cheapest option is to put up a warning sign. This makes driver
responsible.

4) As a bicyclist, I like warning signs because the other option is to
clear the trees, which makes it a very hot ride in Summer and exposed
ride any other time.

Yer, i know it is stating the bleeding obvious, but that is how our
nanny society has become; never take responsibility for your own actions.

[1] Essentially what local council's letter to us said when a metal
strip on a road drain ripped out the side of our nice new tyre. I don't
even know if it is good for a swan planter[2]

[2] Only if I want a divorce.
Old April 25th 07, 02:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
humbug

On Apr 24, 7:56 am, Stuart Lamble
On 2007-04-23, Bleve wrote:

I didn't mean the term as an insult, but as an accurate
description. A cynic is what a realist calls a pessmist, I
think?

Nope. "Cynic: A word invented by optimists to describe realists."
:-)

That's the one

Nope:-) From The Devils Dictionary

CYNIC, n.
A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they
ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a
cynic's eyes to improve his vision.

--

Humbug
Today is Setting Orange, the 42nd day of Discord in the YOLD 3173

Odd road signs Sandy Morton UK 5 November 25th 06 10:58 AM
"Share the road" signs -- who are we telling to share the road? Matt O'Toole General 22 December 27th 05 04:59 PM
"Share the Road" Signs Jym Dyer Social Issues 11 July 17th 05 12:42 AM
I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs Willy West Social Issues 8 August 12th 04 05:06 PM
Signs on the Road HKEK Racing 5 April 10th 04 01:19 AM