Baw Baw photos

Old April 24th 07, 04:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych[_33_]

Default Baw Baw photos

JayWoo Wrote:
Cheers Dave! It was one I'd been training long and hard for, so it was
even sweeter to actually win it

Here you go;

I warmed up my week long nerve racking tapered legs on the rollers,
then made my way to the start line with plenty of time to spare. I
lined up at the front and calmed the nerves by chatting to James
Broadway & Stuart Morgan.
The 1st 3kms would be under control as we made our way out of Warragul.
Good thing I’m not a Sprinter as I didn’t read the race guide handed out
at rego stating that the Sprint was now in Rokeby instead of Noojee as
stated on all other Websites. This saw an early break of Tom Crebin &
another rider dangle off the front to at least Jindivick with Tom
winning the Sprint.
With the new extra part of the course (awesome roads too) done, Neerim
Sth marked a few more breaks with finally two(?) getting away. At this
point it felt like the Peleton went to sleep with my thoughts being
backed up by the Commissaire, through his bull horn, stating that
Masters 4+ were up our asses (not his words). I don’t think anyone
wanted to work into the slight head wind, though I’ve got to say I
remember seeing Wayne Chester (Warragul CC) doing a good chunk of work
up front for the 1st half of the race. Not long after, Tom C does a
sweep of the Peleton to see who’s willing to speed things up. The wick
gets wound up with turns being done up the rise to the Neerim Nth turn
off. I bomb the descent to the Yarra Junction turn off and wait till
the front of the Peloton\splinter catches on and the pace is on till
the disruption of the feed zone at Noojee. This is sort lived as Danny
Kah takes to the front to lift the pace and turns are done to the base
of Vesper’s. Still no sign of the break, the pace up Vesper’s starts to
get wound up, then Danny Kah sinks the boot in and really drives. I jump
on with Stuart Morgan behind thinking ‘this is too early, just sit
(though it still felt like I was burning matches) and cover the move
and see what happens’. With no help from me or Stuart, Danny gathers up
two from the break with the KOM looming. I’m not going to challenge him
for the line thinking that he will deservedly get the KOM, but there is
still one rider ahead and I’m annoyed his work is not rewarded.
Again I bomb Vesper’s with Stuart & Danny not too far behind. We form a
quick alliance and work honest turns to keep our lead. I can’t remember
where or when but we collect a Footscray rider too who likes to sit in
missing plenty of turns. As we make our way to Tanjil Bren I try to
size up the other three riders. Danny tops the list; he’s small and
looks strong when out front. He has my mind picturing a flashing neon
sign floating above him with the words ‘DANGER STRONG CLIMBER’ for
sure. Stuart’s next with his high cadence, known track record in the
Tour of Bright, Summer Crits and the Masters National Road Race, is
looking strong too. Footscray rider is the dark horse; is he missing
turns to rest up big or is he just hanging on?
Tanjil Bren arrives and I ask a spectator to bin an unopened can of Red
Bull I’m carrying as I toss it to him. I don’t feel like I need it and
it’s time to purge unwanted weight. Thankfully we pass a group of
riders before the right hand hairpin just out of Tanjil Bren as some of
them take it too hot and as I hear screeching tyres from behind, I turn
to see some heading into the bushes!
I love the next descent and the Commissaire’s car can’t drive fast
enough to let me run it at the pace I want to on some of the twisting
turnsJ Again I wait for the three riders to catch up at the bottom.
The turns keep rolling and somewhere along the way Danny announces “and
then there were three” as Footscray rider pops. Just before the Toll
Gate I purge any remaining fluid. It’s useless now as I’ve never be
able to drink on this beast of a climb.
Bang, we are on the climb and I’m in my 27t riding my own tempo. It
feels like we are all testing our legs to see how they will react.
After a km or so I’m sensing Stuart but not Danny. I don’t dare to look
around as I’m just concentrating on what my body is doing to measure the
effort. I feel like I can hurt some more, so I do and start to get a gap
on Stuart. I reckon the corner before Winch is steeper so I make sure I
save some for it and Winch Corner, then apply more hurt to myself to
stretch the gap to the false flat.
“Right, now there is only 3km to go” I tell myself and let it ALL out.
I check on some of the corners but can’t spot the white Specialized
helmet of Stuart amongst the riders behind from other grades. Finally
‘that rock’ that marks the easing of the gradient approaches and passes
and I slightly ease off on the pedal to do up my jersey. I hear the guy
hanging out of the Commissaire’s car yell ‘come on, your nearly there’
and pick the tempo up through the Village. I round the last right
hander, check behind and drive for the line filled with emotion. Over
the line I keep rolling down to the very end of the road in shock and
keep the bike rolling back to the line. I can’t speak as I spot Ali and
head toward her. People are talking to me but not much is sinking in.
Ali hands me a Lucozade. Not long after Stuart turns up we shake hands
and try to convey what had just happened. Then James, with more hand
shaking and trading experiences.
I get changed and then it’s off to Kelly’s Café to wolf down some of
those pancakes and Coffee before the Presentations. James B & Kim had
the same idea, so we joined them and talked about the race some more. I
got one of their caps to wear on the Podium to show my appreciation for
all the good food and times I’ve had there after rides up this great
stretch of road.

Fantastic effort Jaywoo! It's a tough mother of a race, and just
finishing it is enough. Congratulations on the win. BTW - I handed you
your winner's cheque.

--
warrwych

Old April 24th 07, 06:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
roshea[_37_]

Great stuff Jaywoo!

Is that James Broadway the foodie? Small world - I used to live next
door to him.

--
roshea

Old April 24th 07, 06:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jono L[_23_]

Top Stuff Jaywoo. You deserved that win so much with all the prep you
did. What's the next goal? De Bortoli? It'll be a sweet race...

A Grade was fairly tame so I did the impatient thing and cooked myself
in the breakaway, in turn I cooked everyone else and they stopped
working and we got caught a few k before the base of baw baw and
thouroughly smashed by the NSWIS Team and the Praties team. I was glad
to be in a small group for the descents though...

Plus even on fresh legs I doubt I'd have hung on to the lead pair as
they were both really flying that day (I climbed it in 33ish and was 4
mins down so the lead pair did a 29min climb!! My PB on FRESH legs is
30:34! still way back.).

But I beat Lapthorne *pumps fists*

PS-I'll try to remember to drop off ya 30 tooth on my way past one
day...

--
Jono L

Old April 24th 07, 08:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
jazmo[_15_]

Onya Jaywoo - fantastic stuff - I've been looking forward to seeing how
you'd go after you'd described your training to me and Anna the week
before at Glenvale.

It's great to see all that hard work paid off for you! You obviosly
wanted to win more than anyone else there.

Man, you must be chuffed. Your name's now etched in history!

--
jazmo

Old April 24th 07, 08:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
jazmo[_14_]

Jono L Wrote:
Top Stuff Jaywoo. You deserved that win so much with all the prep you
did. What's the next goal? De Bortoli? It'll be a sweet race...

A Grade was fairly tame so I did the impatient thing and cooked myself
in the breakaway, in turn I cooked everyone else and they stopped
working and we got caught a few k before the base of baw baw and
thouroughly smashed by the NSWIS Team and the Praties team. I was glad
to be in a small group for the descents though...

Plus even on fresh legs I doubt I'd have hung on to the lead pair as
they were both really flying that day (I climbed it in 33ish and was 4
mins down so the lead pair did a 29min climb!! My PB on FRESH legs is
30:34! still way back.).

But I beat Lapthorne *pumps fists*

PS-I'll try to remember to drop off ya 30 tooth on my way past one
day...

Might see you wearing the Australian National Road Champion's jersey
one day! Great effort!

--
jazmo

Old April 24th 07, 08:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
JayWoo[_7_]

warrwych Wrote:
Fantastic effort Jaywoo! It's a tough mother of a race, and just
finishing it is enough. Congratulations on the win. BTW - I handed you
your winner's cheque.

Cheers! I think that is what has drawn me to this race.
I hope the cheque isn't going to bounce!

--
JayWoo

Old April 24th 07, 08:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
JayWoo[_8_]

roshea Wrote:
Great stuff Jaywoo!

Is that James Broadway the foodie? Small world - I used to live next
door to him.

Cheers! Hmmm, could be. I've only recently met him through a group of
roadies I ride with. He's on the left in this pic;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/469089601/

--
JayWoo

Old April 24th 07, 08:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-04-24, JayWoo (aka Bruce)
Dave A Wrote:

Jaywoo,
Congrats (on the win in Masters 2). What a great effort!! Would'nt
mind seeing a RR if you have the energy.

Cheers Dave! It was one I'd been training long and hard for, so it was
even sweeter to actually win it

Here you go;

snip big win; congrats

So how many gear inches did you use?

--
TimC
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
Old April 24th 07, 08:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
JayWoo[_9_]

Jono L Wrote:
Top Stuff Jaywoo. You deserved that win so much with all the prep you
did. What's the next goal? De Bortoli? It'll be a sweet race...

Cheers! Yeah, that will be the next major one.

Jono L Wrote:
A Grade was fairly tame so I did the impatient thing and cooked myself
in the breakaway, in turn I cooked everyone else and they stopped
working and we got caught a few k before the base of baw baw and
thouroughly smashed by the NSWIS Team and the Praties team. I was glad
to be in a small group for the descents though...

Sounds like you gave it a good crack, rockin'! Who & how many in the
break?

Jono L Wrote:
... the lead pair did a 29min climb!! My PB on FRESH legs is 30:34!
still way back.).LORDY! 29mins is crazy, let alone your 30:34!

Jono L Wrote:
But I beat Lapthorne *pumps fists*
PS-I'll try to remember to drop off ya 30 tooth on my way past one
day...

Go the Pump of fist-age!
Yep, no drama. I shouldn't be needing till I get to Masters 4+ I'm
hoping

--
JayWoo

Old April 24th 07, 08:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
JayWoo[_10_]

jazmo Wrote:
Onya Jaywoo - fantastic stuff...
It's great to see all that hard work paid off for you! You obviosly
wanted to win more than anyone else there.

Man, you must be chuffed. Your name's now etched in history!

Cheers Jazmo! Yep, I wanted it pretty bad HUGELY chuffed. It also
gave me the points to win the Masters 2 Pinnacle Series too. Icing on
the cake!

--
JayWoo

Sequence Photos KcTheAcy Unicycling 25 March 15th 06 06:42 PM
Any got RTB photos? Deest Australia 2 January 23rd 06 10:35 PM
Some photos MattB Mountain Biking 8 July 8th 05 12:49 AM
Photos of my kitchen David Martin UK 11 February 16th 05 02:00 AM
BUC Photos rogeratunicycledotcom Unicycling 3 December 24th 03 09:24 PM