Crankset for fixie/SS

Old April 24th 07, 03:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Default Crankset for fixie/SS

Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?

I've picked up a road frameset with vertical drop-outs. I have a few
of the bits and pieces I need, and just snagged a set of wheels on
eBay with ENO hubs, so I'm nearly there. The wheelset included a 16
cog. I have an old 170 Stronglight crankset (obsolete 86 mm BCD), but
it has 40 and 50 rings and these don't yield optimal gear
combinations.

I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
these?

Thanks muchly.

Donga

Old April 24th 07, 02:20 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound[_2_]

"Donga" wrote in message ups.com...
Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?

I've picked up a road frameset with vertical drop-outs. I have a few
of the bits and pieces I need, and just snagged a set of wheels on
eBay with ENO hubs, so I'm nearly there. The wheelset included a 16
cog. I have an old 170 Stronglight crankset (obsolete 86 mm BCD), but
it has 40 and 50 rings and these don't yield optimal gear
combinations.

I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
these?

Thanks muchly.

Donga

Well the BB for the Stronglights would (I'm guessing) be an ISO square taper on the grounds that it's exceedingly unlikely to be JIS (Japanese standard). I was going to suggest the Sugino RD cranksets but I checked first and it looks like they're JIS. Track cranks tend to be ISO but you pay for the fact that they're intended for racing. I don't know of any Octalink cranks that are single ring. Sheldon sells some stuff http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/130-single.html
Old April 24th 07, 11:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Joel Mayes

On 2007-04-24, Donga wrote:
Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?

I've picked up a road frameset with vertical drop-outs. I have a few
of the bits and pieces I need, and just snagged a set of wheels on
eBay with ENO hubs, so I'm nearly there. The wheelset included a 16
cog. I have an old 170 Stronglight crankset (obsolete 86 mm BCD), but
it has 40 and 50 rings and these don't yield optimal gear
combinations.

Have you checked out wether TA still makes cranks with that BCD? They
do still make a couple of obsolete sizes. If they do Greenspeed may be
able to get a ring for you.

If not any good quality crank set can be single speeded by removing a
chain ring if you've got a set of single stack crank bolts.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing
www.humanpowered.com.au | Bicycle re-use centre
Old April 24th 07, 11:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_86_]

Donga Wrote:
Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?

I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
these?

I'm using a stripped 105 octalink crankset on my SS, so standard 130
bcd, along with a Dura Ace BB (picked up for $20 from someone who
thought it was shot!). I've stuck the 39 on the outside and used BMX
chainring bolts to get a nice chain line. Anyways - this is only a
roadie SS, I'm not sure if it would be durable enough for a fixie..
and its a total pain in the ass trying to find 'track' rings with
130bcd.

--
gplama

Old April 25th 07, 02:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Apr 24, 11:20 pm, "Resound" wrote:
"Donga" wrote in oglegroups.com...
Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?

I've picked up a road frameset with vertical drop-outs. I have a few
of the bits and pieces I need, and just snagged a set of wheels on
eBay with ENO hubs, so I'm nearly there. The wheelset included a 16
cog. I have an old 170 Stronglight crankset (obsolete 86 mm BCD), but
it has 40 and 50 rings and these don't yield optimal gear
combinations.

I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
these?

Thanks muchly.

Donga

Well the BB for the Stronglights would (I'm guessing) be an ISO square taper on the grounds that it's exceedingly unlikely to be JIS (Japanese standard). I was going to suggest the Sugino RD cranksets but I checked first and it looks like they're JIS. Track cranks tend to be ISO but you pay for the fact that they're intended for racing. I don't know of any Octalink cranks that are single ring. Sheldon sells some stuffhttp://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/130-single.html- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Resound - I'll try to work out how to differentiate between ISO
and JIS - but yes, you could assume the French would never use
anything Japanese!

Donga

Old April 25th 07, 08:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

[...]

Thanks Resound. The BB I had with the Stronglights is a Shimano BB-50
and in some browsing I found other Stronglights that do use the JIS -
can you believe the French doing this?

I just had a lucky break - went to pick up the frame from my friend,
and he kindly threw in a set of DuraAce splined 165 cranks and a pair
of Chorus brake levers. Now, all I need is a ring and some pedals, the
wheels to arrive, and a build. Ooh ah I'm excited! (Lotte says I'm
f*cking mad).

Donga

Old April 25th 07, 08:56 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound[_2_]

"Donga" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Score! If it's a usual sort of double ring road crankset rather than a track
crankset, you'll need shorter than standard bolts to mount the chainring
though.

Old April 26th 07, 04:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On 2007-04-24, Donga wrote:

Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?

I've picked up a road frameset with vertical drop-outs. I have a few
of the bits and pieces I need, and just snagged a set of wheels on
eBay with ENO hubs, so I'm nearly there. The wheelset included a 16
cog. I have an old 170 Stronglight crankset (obsolete 86 mm BCD), but
it has 40 and 50 rings and these don't yield optimal gear
combinations.

Have you checked out wether TA still makes cranks with that BCD? They
do still make a couple of obsolete sizes. If they do Greenspeed may be
able to get a ring for you.

If not any good quality crank set can be single speeded by removing a
chain ring if you've got a set of single stack crank bolts.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing
| Low cost 2nd hand bikes www.humanpowered.com.au | Bicycle re-use centre

Thanks for the tip, Joel. I had taken Harris Cycles statement of
'obsolete' at face value, but on your tip googled and found Spa Cycles
in UK seem to carry a full range of Stronglight 86 rings.

Donga

Old April 26th 07, 04:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Apr 25, 8:52 am, gplama gplama.2pk...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Donga Wrote:

Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?

I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
these?

I'm using a stripped 105 octalink crankset on my SS, so standard 130
bcd, along with a Dura Ace BB (picked up for $20 from someone who
thought it was shot!). I've stuck the 39 on the outside and used BMX
chainring bolts to get a nice chain line. Anyways - this is only a
roadie SS, I'm not sure if it would be durable enough for a fixie..
and its a total pain in the ass trying to find 'track' rings with
130bcd.

--
gplama

Thanks for the tip - that is my plan. I expect to be on SS most of the
time and fixie only around my 'hood' until I'm confident ... and I
don't expect to be smashing it too hard for quite a while, so the road
crankset should last the distance.

Donga

Old April 26th 07, 07:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Donga Wrote:

Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?

I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
these?

I'm using a stripped 105 octalink crankset on my SS, so standard 130
bcd, along with a Dura Ace BB (picked up for $20 from someone who
thought it was shot!). I've stuck the 39 on the outside and used BMX
chainring bolts to get a nice chain line. Anyways - this is only a
roadie SS, I'm not sure if it would be durable enough for a fixie..
and its a total pain in the ass trying to find 'track' rings with
130bcd.

Sugino do them, stronglite do them, my T1 has bontrager (truvative)
cranks that are just road cranks.
I have the full swag of chainrings. 130PCD. Is it PCD or BCD
anyway? I see both in various brochures etc.
I've put a few watts through my crankset with no dramas thus far.

ATB on a Fixie?? Gags Australia 26 October 17th 05 07:49 AM
Replace Ultegra 9sp crankset with new 10sp crankset? Bob Techniques 4 January 29th 05 06:23 PM
Replacement of MTB crankset (BB) with road crankset (BB)?! Qui si parla Campagnolo Techniques 4 July 14th 04 04:21 PM
new fixie! Benjamin Lewis General 24 April 12th 04 08:11 PM
Fixie frame found, Fuji Questions, and WTB fixie cranks, wheels,bb, seat,& rear rack Tim Lines Techniques 0 August 17th 03 09:52 PM