Interesting commute this morning

Old May 4th 07, 05:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Interesting commute this morning

In aus.bicycle on 3 May 2007 20:32:13 -0700
BT Humble wrote:
Bean Long wrote:
... but the commuter on
the MTB coming up behind me with his MP3 stuck in his ears just waltzed
on through IN FRONT of said car without even noticing what had happened!

This will probably start yet another holy war on the topic, but I
still think that taking one of your primary senses out of the job at
hand by swanning along in a little iPod bubble is a bad idea.

I think not paying attention is a bad idea.

On the other hand, I think the hearing impaired should be allowed to
ride bicycles.

Zebee
Old May 4th 07, 05:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Theo Bekkers wrote:
BTHumble wrote:
This will probably start yet another holy war on the topic, but I
still think that taking one of your primary senses out of the job at
hand by swanning along in a little iPod bubble is a bad idea.

What about wearing earplugs on the motorbike? Or a helmet that covers your
ears, and limits your peripheral vision as well as making it harder to turn
your head?

Which does a better job of shutting off one's hearing of the outside
world?

(a) Small chunks of foam;
(b) Small chunks of foam with loud music emanating from them.

My motorcycle helmet has a nice wide viewport, and my motorcycle has
effective rear-vision mirrors.

And finally, there's nothing wrong with my neck so I'm able to turn my
head equally well with or without a helmet upon my head.

BTH

Old May 4th 07, 05:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

BT Humble wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:
BTHumble wrote:

This will probably start yet another holy war on the topic,

What about wearing earplugs on the motorbike? Or a helmet that
covers your ears, and limits your peripheral vision as well as
making it harder to turn your head?

Which does a better job of shutting off one's hearing of the outside
world?

(a) Small chunks of foam;
(b) Small chunks of foam with loud music emanating from them.

My motorcycle helmet has a nice wide viewport, and my motorcycle has
effective rear-vision mirrors.

And finally, there's nothing wrong with my neck so I'm able to turn my
head equally well with or without a helmet upon my head.

Ummm, nah, don't want this war, thanks anyway.

Theo

Old May 4th 07, 06:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

On Fri, 04 May 2007 12:27:22 +0800, DeF wrote:

ATTA have recently banned the wearing of headphones during there TTs.

That's only because it was deemed an advantage to have a recording saying
"breathe in, breathe out". We are talking about TTers here!

(I can say that safely, since they're not allowed within 5m of me or
they're drafting.)

--
Dave Hughes |
That's why I love VoIP. You don't get people phoning up to complain
Old May 4th 07, 09:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tex

"BT Humble" wrote in message
ups.com...
First of all I overtook a bloke on a recumbent, who appeared to be

Hey, I'm clean shaven on at least one-third of my trike riders

Old May 4th 07, 09:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 4 May 2007 18:28:48 +1000
Tex wrote:

"BT Humble" wrote in message
ups.com...
First of all I overtook a bloke on a recumbent, who appeared to be

Hey, I'm clean shaven on at least one-third of my trike riders

WHich third of you is clean shaven?

Zebee

Old May 4th 07, 11:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig

"BT Humble" wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

What about wearing earplugs on the motorbike? Or a helmet that covers
your
ears, and limits your peripheral vision as well as making it harder to
turn
your head?

Which does a better job of shutting off one's hearing of the outside
world?

(a) Small chunks of foam;
(b) Small chunks of foam with loud music emanating from them.

My motorcycle helmet has a nice wide viewport, and my motorcycle has
effective rear-vision mirrors.

And finally, there's nothing wrong with my neck so I'm able to turn my
head equally well with or without a helmet upon my head.

Which does a better job of shutting one's hearing off from the outside
world?

(a) Small chunks of foam with load music emanating from them
(b) Small chunks of foam with a raging engine outside them
(c) A hermetically sealed metal box with a disco booming out inside it

My bicycle helmet has an extremely wide viewport (?), and my bicycle has one
very effective rear view mirror.

Don't see the problem with an mp3 player used judiciously while riding solo,
used in conjunction with a conscious visual appreciation. Drivers do it all
the time.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old May 7th 07, 02:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

Tex wrote:
"BT Humble" wrote in message
ups.com...
First of all I overtook a bloke on a recumbent, who appeared to be
Hey, I'm clean shaven on at least one-third of my trike riders

WHich third of you is clean shaven?

My liver

Bugger... you made me do a snot laugh! :-)

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Favourite Commute (Morning or Evening?) Duncan Smith UK 18 March 11th 07 09:01 PM
Beautiful morning commute David Martin UK 2 February 2nd 07 08:11 AM
Morning Commute Geoff S General 37 July 10th 06 10:03 PM
AWESOME commute this morning! Tamyka Bell Australia 28 April 21st 05 10:45 AM
Interesting one this morning... Simonb UK 7 June 3rd 04 03:29 PM