Bicycles on QGR

Old May 4th 07, 11:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Owen

Default Bicycles on QGR

I intend going to Brisbane in August. Can I just wheel my bike onto say the suburban train to Robina or is it all forbidden?

Likewise wanting to go to R'ton, do I pack it like we do here on the NSWGR.

Any advice appreciated

TIA

Owen
Old May 4th 07, 01:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig

"Owen" wrote:

I intend going to Brisbane in August. Can I just wheel my bike onto say
the suburban train to Robina or is it all forbidden?

Likewise wanting to go to R'ton, do I pack it like we do here on the
NSWGR.

This should ive you the info you need
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...lic_transport/

Seems pretty straightforward for suburban rail, but need to part-pack bikes
for the interciyt services, and no go on the Tilt-train and Spirit of
Capricorn.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old May 5th 07, 01:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

PeteSig wrote:

"Owen" wrote:

I intend going to Brisbane in August. Can I just wheel my bike onto say
the suburban train to Robina or is it all forbidden?

Likewise wanting to go to R'ton, do I pack it like we do here on the
NSWGR.

This should ive you the info you need
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...ling/Bike_user
_guide/Bikes_and_public_transport/

Seems pretty straightforward for suburban rail, but need to part-pack
bikes for the interciyt services, and no go on the Tilt-train and Spirit
of Capricorn.

I think that there is a bit of a difference between the rules and the
user experience. Generally, the QR staff are pretty bicycle friendly. If
you travel on the Sunlander then the staff on stations probably won't be
asking you to do any packing at all. Unlike NSW railways, they also take
care about how they pack your bike in the freight van so that it doesn't
get crushed into a pretzel-shape during the journey.

The Spirit of Capricorn was phased out a few years back after the Tilt
Train began operating. You can't take bikes on the electric Tilt Train
from Brisvegas to Rocky. However, there is a diesel tilt train that
operates north of Rocky departing Brisbane on Mondays and Fridays. I'm
pretty sure you can take bikes on it, even if limited in number.

Peter