So why so many dead tubes?

Old May 9th 07, 06:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default So why so many dead tubes?

I am having a rash of flat tyres.

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.

Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
days after the tube is changed.

What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?

Zebee
Old May 9th 07, 08:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I am having a rash of flat tyres.

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.

Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
days after the tube is changed.

What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?

Zebee

Sounds like something sharp but very small stuck in the tyre. Perhaps a
shard of glass which is only penetrating through to the tube when it's
under load. Next time you run your fingers around the inside of the
tyre, try pushing it almost inside out at the point where you are
getting the flats and you might find something sharp barley poking
through. Also inspect any cuts on the outside of the tyre around the
area.Sounds like something has made its way in and has stuck!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old May 9th 07, 08:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

I am having a rash of flat tyres.

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near
the valve but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it
isn't the tube or the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might
be the tyre, but I can't find anything wrong with it in that
area. I'm getting paranoid though, might be time for that
Marathon I've been promising myself.

Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show
up 3-6 days after the tube is changed.

What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing
wrong?

A "Michelin wire"? That's a tiny piece of steel belt shed from
a very bald car tyre. If it's short enough, it may be hard to
find enbedded in the tyre casing. Longer pieces are easily
felt by running fingers around the inside of the tyre.

John
Old May 9th 07, 08:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I am having a rash of flat tyres.

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.

Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
days after the tube is changed.

What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?

Sand or glass?
Porcupine?

Theo

Old May 9th 07, 08:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_136_]

Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
I am having a rash of flat tyres.

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.

Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
days after the tube is changed.

What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?

Zebee

is it aligned with a spoke hole?, is a spoke protruding down just that
teensie bit, enough to pierce on a pinch flat type situation?... if
you can change the tyre as well as the tube, on the same rim that will
eliminate that, if it doesnt recur.

otherwise out with the magnifying glass and bright lights....good
luck...

gotta be a pane in the glass ( sorry, couldnt resist that)

--
rooman

Old May 9th 07, 08:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman[_46_]

Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
I am having a rash of flat tyres.

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.

Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
days after the tube is changed.

What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?

Zebee

fingernails?

--
monsterman

Old May 9th 07, 11:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Paul Yates

"John Henderson" wrote in message
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

I am having a rash of flat tyres.

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near
the valve but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it
isn't the tube or the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might
be the tyre, but I can't find anything wrong with it in that
area. I'm getting paranoid though, might be time for that
Marathon I've been promising myself.

Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show
up 3-6 days after the tube is changed.

What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing
wrong?

A "Michelin wire"? That's a tiny piece of steel belt shed from
a very bald car tyre. If it's short enough, it may be hard to
find enbedded in the tyre casing. Longer pieces are easily
felt by running fingers around the inside of the tyre.

John

One of those wires gave me a punture last night before I even got out of the
carpark at work (unless it was a wossy looking stape). Grrr.

Old May 9th 07, 11:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Aeek

On Wed, 09 May 2007 17:02:28 +1000, John Henderson
wrote:

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

I am having a rash of flat tyres.

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near
the valve but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it
isn't the tube or the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might

What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing
wrong?

1. you ride a bent 2. you've been unfaithful, just got a shiny new
bike and were thinking about that when the problem started. A bike
scorned is a bike puncturing?

A "Michelin wire"? That's a tiny piece of steel belt shed from
a very bald car tyre. If it's short enough, it may be hard to
find enbedded in the tyre casing. Longer pieces are easily
felt by running fingers around the inside of the tyre.

or from street sweepers? I had one, just a tiny nick on the outside,
apparently nothing in it and the inside smooth. Flexed the tyre and
prodded with a pin and found the wire. Couldn't pull it out,
eventually pushed it through with the pin.
Old May 9th 07, 02:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On May 9, 3:55 pm, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I am having a rash of flat tyres.

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.

Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
days after the tube is changed.

What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?

As mentioned, there'll be something very small, probably.

Turf the tyre. It'll save you angst and time.

Old May 9th 07, 02:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tex

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote in message
I am having a rash of flat tyres.

Welcome to my world. Almost none for the first 8-9 months after buying my
trike, then and endless bloody sequence of punctures

self sealing tubes HD commuting touring tubes patch glue knee how ma [email protected] Techniques 5 February 8th 06 02:37 AM
A.R.B.R. ain't dead yet?????? [email protected] Recumbent Biking 329 March 5th 05 12:33 AM
Gluing tubes to tubes Ted Techniques 12 January 31st 05 09:43 PM
I would be dead but for my... JohnB UK 5 June 6th 04 08:54 PM