A farewell to cycling in Sydney

Old May 29th 07, 02:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default A farewell to cycling in Sydney

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 29 May 2007 08:17:36 +0800
Theo Bekkers wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Oh ditto. I don't live here cos I *like* it. I live here because I
can get work here. Work elsewhere is not as plentiful for your
average Linux geek.

We're starting a Hosting Server Administrator next week at $82,500. Is that
not up your alley?

Tempting. BUt fewer twisties in Perth than even in Sydney!

Now, if you set up an Adelaide branch office....

Zebee

Old May 29th 07, 02:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

On May 29, 8:32 am, "Theo Bekkers" wrote:
Resound wrote:
Despite being in Melbourne which I gather isn't anything like as
nasty as Sydney, I'm there as well. I just don't get grief on the
bike. Perhaps it's my sunny disposition.

Any bit of sun would surely be appreciated in Melbourne.

Theo

Actually a bit of rain would be.

Old May 29th 07, 02:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

On May 29, 9:29 am, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

(Plus I bet finding a flat within 20km of Melbourne CBD with a large
garage and in a nice leafy suburb that I can afford would be hard.
Campsie is sinfully cheap considering where it is.)

Zebee

Seriously, that would be very easy thing to find, 20 km's takes you
into the heartland of Melbournes leafy suburbs. Old subdivisions so
large blocks so good supply of infill units with garages.

Old May 29th 07, 03:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-05-29, PiledHigher (aka Bruce)
Resound wrote:
Despite being in Melbourne which I gather isn't anything like as
nasty as Sydney, I'm there as well. I just don't get grief on the
bike. Perhaps it's my sunny disposition.

Any bit of sun would surely be appreciated in Melbourne.

Actually a bit of rain would be.

What are you complaining about? I've been spying, and you've been
getting a buttload more than us.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/curren...c.jsp?code=VIC

--
TimC
"The application failed to fail"
Old May 29th 07, 04:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

TimC wrote:

What are you complaining about? I've been spying, and you've been
getting a buttload more than us.

We got 35 mm on Sunday night.

Theo

Old May 29th 07, 04:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

On 2007-05-29, PiledHigher (aka Bruce)

Resound wrote:
Despite being in Melbourne which I gather isn't anything like as
nasty as Sydney, I'm there as well. I just don't get grief on the
bike. Perhaps it's my sunny disposition.

Any bit of sun would surely be appreciated in Melbourne.

Actually a bit of rain would be.

What are you complaining about? I've been spying, and you've been
getting a buttload more than us.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/curren...c.jsp?code=VIC

--
TimC
"The application failed to fail"

A bucket load, less than half the monthly average and even todays
likely downpour is going to bring us up to average.

Old May 29th 07, 06:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_226_]

PiledHigher Wrote:

A bucket load, less than half the monthly average and even todays
likely downpour is going to bring us up to average.

Wondering if infrequent storms and downpours are now going to be
average ...?

--
cfsmtb

Old May 29th 07, 06:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

On May 29, 3:27 pm, cfsmtb cfsmtb.2rb...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
PiledHigher Wrote:

A bucket load, less than half the monthly average and even todays
likely downpour is going to bring us up to average.

Wondering if infrequent storms and downpours are now going to be
average ...?

--
cfsmtb

That supposed to be summer rain in melbourne!

Old May 29th 07, 10:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound[_2_]

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote in message
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 29 May 2007 06:40:58 +0800
Theo Bekkers wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

So clearly it isn't "sydney" it is "bits of sydney have arseholes" and
I dunno anyone's going to argue about that!

Zebee, Sydney is an arsehole. I spent over two years living there over
five
visits, and lived in quite nice areas, but still prefer Melbourne and
Adelaide after Perth. House prices in Perth are getting quite scary. If
I'd

Oh ditto. I don't live here cos I *like* it. I live here because I
can get work here. Work elsewhere is not as plentiful for your
average Linux geek. Don't like Brisbane's climate, can't afford to
live in Melbourne somewhere I'd like to live as the ownership of the
flat I live in is complex and I can't just sell and buy elsewhere.

(Plus I bet finding a flat within 20km of Melbourne CBD with a large
garage and in a nice leafy suburb that I can afford would be hard.
Campsie is sinfully cheap considering where it is.)

Within 15-20km would be fairly easy, especially if you don't insist on
living to the east. 10km gets pricy unless you go west. Mind you,
Footscray's not half as bad as people make out.