Winds

Old July 25th 03, 12:09 PM
Steve

Default Winds

dannyfrankszzz wrote in message ...
However, I recently did a trip through Belgium and Holland, and the
wind direction was coming mostly from the NE/E,

The reason for that temporary change of wind-direction was because of the
annual "Baked Beans" festival in the NE of Holland :-)

Old July 25th 03, 12:16 PM
Simon Mason

"dannyfrankszzz" wrote in message
Hello, I'm trying to find some information on wind directions in Europe.
I'm planning a cycling trip through the Alps from East to West but I've
been informed that the winds blow from West to East in which case I
should reverse my direction.

However, I recently did a trip through Belgium and Holland, and the
wind direction was coming mostly from the NE/E, which contradicts what
I was told.

You could spend a few days sifting through this lot!

http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~brugge/europe.html

Simon

Old July 25th 03, 01:25 PM
Getronic Engineer

"dannyfrankszzz" wrote in message
Hello, I'm trying to find some information on wind directions in Europe.
I'm planning a cycling trip through the Alps from East to West but I've
been informed that the winds blow from West to East in which case I
should reverse my direction.

Don't bother about it. The roads in the Alps aren't straight.

KC ;-)

Old July 25th 03, 02:07 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"dannyfrankszzz" wrote in message

Hello, I'm trying to find some information on wind directions in Europe.

It's a Well Known Fact that the direction of wind is always into your face
:-)

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Old July 25th 03, 02:10 PM
David Brown :o\)

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/
Will give you current wind speeds in France but no further East.

--
David Brown )
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

Old July 25th 03, 02:23 PM
Velvet

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

"dannyfrankszzz" wrote in message

Hello, I'm trying to find some information on wind directions in Europe.

It's a Well Known Fact that the direction of wind is always into your face
:-)

Except when it's really hot, and then it always seems to be blowing from
behind so there's very little cooling...

Or maybe that's just my excess layers of insulation my body comes
equipped with :-)

Velvet

Old July 25th 03, 06:10 PM
Garry Broad

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:23:21 GMT, Velvet wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

"dannyfrankszzz" wrote in message

Hello, I'm trying to find some information on wind directions in Europe.

It's a Well Known Fact that the direction of wind is always into your face
:-)

Except when it's really hot, and then it always seems to be blowing from
behind so there's very little cooling...

Or maybe that's just my excess layers of insulation my body comes
equipped with :-)

And when it's a tail wind, you don't actually really realize it, you
just think you're feeling really fit today....until you turn round!

gb
Old July 25th 03, 09:25 PM
vitiris

Garry

Nail on the head, been there and done it too many times to count. Aren't
we suckers for 'I've finally cracked it and I'm a seriously good
cyclist, move over LA'. And yes I've noticed how the wind always changes
direction to in front, it's really spooky. Mind you if you're crawling
up a hill at 5 mph what diffence is a little wind between friends

Sean

--
there's no gain without pain

Old July 25th 03, 10:11 PM
Tim Woodall

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 18:10:17 +0100,
Garry Broad wrote:

And when it's a tail wind, you don't actually really realize it, you
just think you're feeling really fit today....until you turn round!

I wish I had a camera today when I came out of work. Turned onto the
road straight into the wind. One of the three flags[1] was blowing straight
towards me. One was blown out to the left and the third blown out to the
right. I doubt the three flag poles are separated by more than 40 feet
in total.

[1] These are actually in the company next door. We only have one
flag that had already warned me that I was about to turn directly into
the wind.

About half a mile futher on I was catching up with a leaf that was
being blown in the same direction as I was going. "Bl**dy H*ll," I thought.
"This sure feels like a head wind." Once I got to within about 50 feet of it
it suddenly did a U turn and started being blown back towards me.

The flags were really impressive though. They weren't just fluttering in
the breeze but being fully blown out.

I was glad to be on the windcheetah though. When the wind is as strong
and variable as it was this evening it isn't really fun on the DF. You
really have to concentrate hard to not get caught out by the gusts.
(While it is hard to tell, I don't generally find the windcheetah any
faster into the head winds. I suppose this is related to the fact that
I find climbing MUCH easier on the DF as well)

Tim.

and there was light.

radio and biking. jon General 37 January 23rd 04 01:43 PM
high winds joemarshall Unicycling 12 November 17th 03 11:22 AM