15 Months for killing cyclist

Old February 12th 04, 05:26 PM
Kennedy Fraser

Default 15 Months for killing cyclist

BBC reports

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3479669.stm

This is the driver of a van who knocked a cyclist off (with a wing mirror)
causing a fatal fractured skull and then drove off and lied to the police
when questioned.

15 months for the dangerous driving and 3 months for peverting the course
of justice plus a 2 year driving ban.

Kennedy
Old February 12th 04, 06:22 PM
Vincent Wilcox

Kennedy Fraser wrote:
BBC reports

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3479669.stm

This is the driver of a van who knocked a cyclist off (with a wing mirror)
causing a fatal fractured skull and then drove off and lied to the police
when questioned.

15 months for the dangerous driving and 3 months for peverting the course
of justice plus a 2 year driving ban.

Kennedy

Bit harsh, it was only pleb^H^H^H^H cyclist after all...

Old February 12th 04, 06:26 PM
nobody760

Only today an illegal immigrant sans licence, insurance etc. had his
sentence REDUCED for killing a young boy in a hit and run. It must disgust
all decent and right thinking people that this is wrong. Sentences for
killing people with a combination of stupidity and mobile metal are
pathetic.

After hearing this today I asked myself just who is responsible for
this ludicrous state of affairs? Well the answer is you and me. Everyone
over the age of 18 (with a few exceptions) has the vote. So what am I going
to do about it? What are you going to do about it? Will you contact your MP?
Will you make a noise and say this is bloody wrong. I am just an ordinary
citizen. Laws like the ones that do not greatly penalise these killers were
made in the end by YOUR elected representatives.

Ok I am cynical in my old age, cars are coveted, desired and
selfishly used. In the end I have met no car owner that was ever willing to
give up his 'freedom' or his 'divine right' to own a car whatever logical
and persuasive arguments are given. Governments are in the end happy for
this to be so, lots of cars = lots of tax revenue.

Old February 12th 04, 06:45 PM
W K

"nobody760" wrote in message
Only today an illegal immigrant sans licence, insurance etc. had

his
sentence REDUCED for killing a young boy in a hit and run.

Wrong. He was given no sentence for killing the young boy in the first
place.

It must disgust
all decent and right thinking people that this is wrong.

This guy got 3 months for what the illegal immigrant got 8 months for.
It was reduced to 6 months, as that is the max you can get for hit and run.
If you want to be "right thinking" get some basic facts straight.

Old February 12th 04, 09:46 PM
James Annan

nobody760 wrote:
Only today an illegal immigrant sans licence, insurance etc. had his
sentence REDUCED for killing a young boy in a hit and run. It must disgust
all decent and right thinking people that this is wrong. Sentences for
killing people with a combination of stupidity and mobile metal are
pathetic.

It seems to me that the current crop of jerking knees has a lot to do
with immigration and not very much to do with cars, still less cycling.

James

Old February 12th 04, 10:52 PM
Nick Kew

In article ,
James Annan writes:
nobody760 wrote:
Only today an illegal immigrant sans licence, insurance etc. had his
sentence REDUCED for killing a young boy in a hit and run. It must disgust
all decent and right thinking people that this is wrong. Sentences for
killing people with a combination of stupidity and mobile metal are
pathetic.

It seems to me that the current crop of jerking knees has a lot to do
with immigration and not very much to do with cars, still less cycling.

I think I approve of the judge who did this. He's managed to whip
up a meeja frenzy, *and* when he reduced the sentence it seemed to
focus back somewhat from the immigration red-herring to the real issue.

IMO one killer getting off lightly is fantastic value for a push
towards fixing the system that routinely lets thousands of them off.

--
Nick Kew
Old February 13th 04, 12:01 AM

"James Annan" wrote in message
nobody760 wrote:
Only today an illegal immigrant sans licence, insurance etc. had

his
sentence REDUCED for killing a young boy in a hit and run. It must

disgust
all decent and right thinking people that this is wrong. Sentences for
killing people with a combination of stupidity and mobile metal are
pathetic.

It seems to me that the current crop of jerking knees has a lot to do
with immigration and not very much to do with cars, still less cycling.

I agree there is media pressure because the gent was an immigrant, however,
doesn't mean the knees are misplaced just because of that.

I think it's to do with the several things wrong in this case (1) he should
not have been in the uk at the time (2) no licence (3) no insurance (4)
drove away from accident, as well as (5) killed a pedestrian child. Add to
that the sense that motoring deaths to vulnerable users (including cyclists)
are treated as acts of god (I'd like more details of the mechanics of this
accident but the police don't make it v public) ...

and also that "normal" people have to abide by these regulations or face
severe financial penalties (which immigrants are exempt from by means of
their mobility/ lack of assets)

And there's no wonder people are outraged at the paltry sentence handed out.

John

Old February 13th 04, 09:40 AM
RJ Webb

It seems to me that the current crop of jerking knees has a lot to do
with immigration and not very much to do with cars, still less cycling.

Its the only reason the scum press have run with it, i'm sure. Sadly
this has been happening all the time, but of little interest to the
tabloids

Richard Webb

Old February 13th 04, 11:07 PM
davebee

I think where the driver comes from and the legality of his status i
the UK is totally irrelevant as far as a hit and run goes. I think tha
the punishments are far too soft though. Hit and run is almost a
despicable as rape and murder in my opinion. Accidents CAN happen yes
but then leaving somebody on the road to die is just evil

-

Old February 16th 04, 07:47 PM
pmailkeey

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:26:51 -0000, "nobody760"
wrote:

Only today an illegal immigrant sans licence, insurance etc. had his
sentence REDUCED for killing a young boy in a hit and run. It must disgust
all decent and right thinking people that this is wrong. Sentences for
killing people with a combination of stupidity and mobile metal are
pathetic.

After hearing this today I asked myself just who is responsible for
this ludicrous state of affairs? Well the answer is you and me. Everyone
over the age of 18 (with a few exceptions) has the vote.

I once went to a polling station and picked up a ballot paper. There
wasn't an appropriate box to place my tick, so it remained blank.
Perhaps I should have written "Intentionally left blank" on it.
--
Comm again, Mike.