GPSs for cyling

Old November 6th 04, 11:21 PM
hold my beer and watch this...

Default GPSs for cyling

So I just moved up to the freakin' Poconos, and even though I can't seem to
find a ride where I don't have to use my 23, its 10 degrees colder here than
anywhere else in Pennsylvania, and I haven't seen a single another rider
after almost a month of being here, the riding's not too bad. Anyway, I was
thinking about getting a GPS with a bike mount to help in finding new rides,
maybe something like this:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Ma...ak-Map-GPS.asp

Anyone train with a GPS or have any suggestions...?

Old November 7th 04, 12:05 AM
packmagician

If you're really just looking for an excuse to buy a GPS, I guess that
will do, but if you want to find roads, I'd suggest Microsoft Streets
software, a printer and a plastic bag instead.

Old November 7th 04, 12:05 AM
packmagician

Old November 7th 04, 05:48 AM
Gerard Lanois

"hold my beer and watch this..." writes:

So I just moved up to the freakin' Poconos, and even though I can't seem to
find a ride where I don't have to use my 23, its 10 degrees colder here than
anywhere else in Pennsylvania, and I haven't seen a single another rider
after almost a month of being here, the riding's not too bad. Anyway, I was
thinking about getting a GPS with a bike mount to help in finding new rides,
maybe something like this:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Ma...ak-Map-GPS.asp

Anyone train with a GPS or have any suggestions...?

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVista/

Being discounted heavily right now because they came out with
a color version. I think I paid $210 and got free shipping (amazon).

I didn't buy it for cycling, but brought it on a few rides. I benchmarked
it against my Avocet and found they were within +/- 0.02 miles over a 20
mile ride.

I wouldn't bother with a handlebar mount, just put it in your jersey
pocket. Works fine back there.

There are many more disadvantages to GPS than advantages. Bulk,
battery life, cost, etc to name a few.

The only advantage a GPS might have over a cyclometer is the elevation
data - for example, you can review your course profile and also it
tells you your cumulative elevation gain during the ride.

Overall I think a GPS is overkill. Just go wander around. More
fun that way. The single best bike ride I ever had was once when
I brought my bike with me on a business trip to Irvine, CA and got
"lost" on Santiago Canyon Road.

Poconos? Damn, better get the snow chains ready.

-Gerard

Old November 7th 04, 02:09 PM
DirtRoadie

"hold my beer and watch this..." wrote in message ...

... Anyway, I was
thinking about getting a GPS with a bike mount to help in finding new rides,
maybe something like this:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Ma...ak-Map-GPS.asp

Anyone train with a GPS or have any suggestions...?

I use one all the time.
There are lots of factors depending on what you would hope to actually
do.
Check out Topofusion.com for truly excellent mapping/training log
software.

Also take a look at the Garmin Foretrex. It's hard to beat for
usefuleness unless you decide you need a "mapping" unit.
http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=804

DR

Old November 7th 04, 02:24 PM
pedalchick

hold my beer and watch this... Wrote:
So I just moved up to the freakin' Poconos, and even though I can't seem
find a ride where I don't have to use my 23, its 10 degrees colder here
than
anywhere else in Pennsylvania, and I haven't seen a single another
rider
after almost a month of being here, the riding's not too bad. Anyway,
I was
thinking about getting a GPS with a bike mount to help in finding new
rides,
maybe something like this:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Ma...ak-Map-GPS.asp

Anyone train with a GPS or have any suggestions...?

I admit it, I am a big tech geek, and I just love maps. I have this
one:
http://www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Ga...rex-Legend.asp
and it is helpful when exploring new routes. If you have the $$, I
would get one with an altimeter so you can calculate ft. of climbing
done. I find it to be very reliable in calculating speed&distance - at
least compared to my cyclocomputer.
The only problem I've experienced is that the maps don't show which
roads are unpaved, for how long they stay unpaved, and how many meth
labs with rabid guard dogs are on them.... ahhhhh. the south.....

--
pedalchick

Old November 8th 04, 01:15 PM
Jamie Thingelstad

Gerard Lanois wrote:
[...]

Definitely don't get the Magellan. I've owned a number of hand held GPS
and Garmin is the only way to go. I currently ride with an eTrex Vista
as well and like it a lot. It works well even in the rain. Only downside
is a pretty big battery use, but that is true for any GPS. I would
recommend a pair of good quality NiMH rechargables.

The Garmin Mapping software is a good addition to have as well. I have
MetroGuide v5.0 and it adds a LOT to the GPS particularly for cycling.

I would definitely get the handlebar mount unlike the previous poster.
It helps a lot, however, don't get caught staring at the damn GPS and
ride off the road. (Try it, you'll realize I'm not kidding.)

If you want to see examples, here are maps that I created using my GPS
and MetroGuide v3.0 in 2001 at Texas Hellweek. Click on any article to
see the map

http://www.thingelstad.com/DotText/archive/2001/03.aspx