Stop NY's Anti-Bicycling Bill

Old November 18th 04, 03:45 AM
Pete

"GaryG" wrote

That's why I said "most". Here in California, you are permitted to ride
only on certain segments, where no reasonable alternative exists (e.g.,
I-5
through the Sacramento River canyon north of Redding). But, that is
clearly
the exception, not the rule.

I misread your "all" as "banned from all interstates"

Pete

Old November 18th 04, 04:30 AM
David Reuteler

In rec.bicycles.misc Pete wrote:
Ok...I revise that. Some.

New Jersey http://www.state.nj.us/njcommuter/html/hwyrestr.htm
Note: In New Jersey, interstate roadways are currently closed to
bicyclists; however, most sections are open by special permit issued by
NJDOT. For a permit to ride on these sections write to:

California
Parts of I-5

Colorado
Parts of I-25

I'm sure there are others.

oregon, washington, idaho, montana, wyoming, south dakota, north dakota,
colorado and reportedly (i haven't done it) arizona, new mexico, utah and
nevada. in a lot of these states it's only allowed outside of cities. not
so in idaho (where i'm at) .. i can legally get on the connector i-184 and
race rush hour traffic out of boise if i want to. mostly i don't.
--
david reuteler

Old November 18th 04, 07:21 AM
Sierraman

"Pete" wrote in message

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 03:17:37 GMT, "Pete"
wrote:

Many interstates and other
restricted access roadways allow
cycling.

Many?

Where?

Ok...I revise that. Some.

New Jersey http://www.state.nj.us/njcommuter/html/hwyrestr.htm
Note: In New Jersey, interstate roadways are currently closed to
bicyclists; however, most sections are open by special permit issued by
NJDOT. For a permit to ride on these sections write to:

California
Parts of I-5

Colorado
Parts of I-25

I'm sure there are others.

And why are they called restricted access?

The design of the road. Access only by the on and off ramps. i.e. no
driveways, parking lots, cross streets.

Pete

All this brings to mind one time when I saw a stagecoach with a team of
horses riding down highway 41 between Fresno and Yosemite. Ohhhh.... You
talk about steamed motorists who were backed up for miles by a bunch of
hicks that didn't have the sense to pull off. I have never seen such rage by
motorists, not sure what happened to the stagecoach doing some kind of
western mockup, but I was glad to slip past that mess. 41 is blood alley
anyway for cyclists, not sure about stagecoaches.

B-