multiple pelvic fractures in cycling accident

Old November 20th 04, 05:35 PM
Alis Whitt

Default multiple pelvic fractures in cycling accident

Hello. Six weeks ago I fractured my pelvis and one vertebra on a
metric century ride. I am a 41 year old female and until this
accident I was in excellent health. I broke the front pubic bone, the
rear "sitz" bone, and have a compression fracture in the upper part of
my pelvis. My understanding is that the compression fracture is why
I'm advised to put no weight on my right leg (all these injuries were
to the right side). The L5 vertebre has a transverse process
fracture. I was hospitalized for two weeks. They did not do surgery,
though it was debated for a number of days. I have been unable to
walk, drive, work, or, obviously, ride. I have been taken out of
physcial therapy in order to allow more healing.

On Monday, I return to my orthopaedist for a six-week x-ray. I wonder
if anyone out there has had similar injuries, has any advice or
suggestions as to what I should ask my physician? I also wonder about
other web discussion lists where I might find some expertise?

Thanks in advance.

Alis