New Hour Record set in LA!

Old November 22nd 04, 10:20 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:13:08 GMT, Warren wrote:
Curtis is a world-class rider in his age group. Do some research.

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~dronkert/cycling/ucipoints04.php

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
Old November 22nd 04, 10:21 PM
Warren

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" wrote in message
scott patton wrote:

In article ,
Warren wrote:

"James Thurber" wrote in message
.com...

Selected quotes from cyclingnews.com:

"...Gunn now holds the world and USA record for 30-34 year old non-pro
riders at 47.764 km, measured to the nearest meter. No rider has ever
tried this so the bar as been set for some other riders to try and
break this new world record..."

So basically this guy created his own category and then set a "record"
in it?

No. He competed in an existing category. You can check at the UCI

website or
at worldmasters.com.

Isn't this kind of like electing yourself president of your own

imaginary country?

"...He said it was harder then he thought it would be and if he ever
tried it again he would train for it. Gunn wants to turn pro next
season, thus he wanted to get this record as an amateur rider..."

He would train for it? WTF? I guess even if he'd done a kilo and a
half it'd still have been a record.

I have decided to create a category of 36 year-old men who are over
six feet tall and enjoy fast club rides. I will be setting my new hour
record shortly in the Super WalMart parking lot. Look for the full
report in CycleSport. I will then be soliciting offers from Pro
Tour-qualified cycling teams.

Nothing against Mr. Gunn but he's leading the pack for uber-fred.

Not as bad as people who don't let ignorance of the relevant facts

dissuade
them from ranting about something they couldn't do themselves. Curtis is

world-class rider in his age group. Do some research.

-WG

Warren,

Help him out here a little....

http://www.cyclingmasters.com/results/records.html

Scott

Interesting--particularly the team sprint--135+ years. Is that
combined age or a misprint?

Combined age of all three riders must be at least that number. Like here,
for example..
http://www.usacycling.org/results/in...8&info_id=2957

The team sprint is sooo much fun!

-WG

Old November 22nd 04, 10:46 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

Warren wrote:

Combined age of all three riders must be at least that number. Like here,
for example..
http://www.usacycling.org/results/in...8&info_id=2957

The team sprint is sooo much fun!

-WG

Thanks!

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Old November 22nd 04, 11:07 PM
Bob Schwartz

Warren wrote:
Not as bad as people who don't let ignorance of the relevant facts dissuade
them from ranting about something they couldn't do themselves. Curtis is a
world-class rider in his age group. Do some research.

I did some research. The hour record holder in the 30-34 age category is
a chap named Rominger. He went 55.291 km, which far outdistances Curtis'
mark of 47.764 km. He was 33 at the time.

I believe he was also a world class rider in his age group.

The UCI should stop recognizing records that aren't records.

Bob Schwartz

Old November 22nd 04, 11:22 PM
scott patton

In article ,
Bob Schwartz wrote:
Warren wrote:
Not as bad as people who don't let ignorance of the relevant facts dissuade
them from ranting about something they couldn't do themselves. Curtis is a
world-class rider in his age group. Do some research.

I did some research. The hour record holder in the 30-34 age category is
a chap named Rominger. He went 55.291 km, which far outdistances Curtis'
mark of 47.764 km. He was 33 at the time.

I believe he was also a world class rider in his age group.

The UCI should stop recognizing records that aren't records.

Bob Schwartz

While I can sort of agree with you, the key thing is here that
Rominger was a pro... Curtis is an amateur. Some like there being
a distinction.

Scott
--
-*- Scott Patton
-*- Colorado Springs, CO

Old November 22nd 04, 11:29 PM
Warren

"Bob Schwartz" wrote in message
Warren wrote:
Not as bad as people who don't let ignorance of the relevant facts

dissuade
them from ranting about something they couldn't do themselves. Curtis is

world-class rider in his age group. Do some research.

I did some research. The hour record holder in the 30-34 age category is
a chap named Rominger. He went 55.291 km, which far outdistances Curtis'
mark of 47.764 km. He was 33 at the time.

I believe he was also a world class rider in his age group.

The UCI should stop recognizing records that aren't records.

The record set by Curtis is for "amateurs", not "open", and not
"professional".

-WG