Cycling will get bigger when Americans get smarter.

Old July 22nd 03, 04:50 AM
Tony Austn

Default Cycling will get bigger when Americans get smarter.

If you are an American and lover cycling, your IQ has to be well over
110 points

Cycling is not popular here in America because Americans can only
understand racing if it has no right turns in it. (Like Nascar or Indy.
And then those poor, "gifted", Americans who can't even understand
NASCAR prefer drag racing because it has no turns.)

Oh, the names of the "athletes" have to be: Dale, Ernie, Bubba, Jethro,
or Bobby to be able to get an endorsement and they have to come from a
state that only has three last names. (I will let your imagination
figure out why there are only three last names.)

Why isn't grand prix, cycling, or motorcycle racing popular?, because
the average American is an idiot and prefers Jerry Springer over Chris
Matthews, or Nascar; whose redneck drivers can barely speak American
english or are even able point out where France is on a map, over
cycling.

The American public prefers sports where beer is sold and cheerleaders
with fake blonde hair with those silly colored stripes in it with
strange colors that you see no where else in nature and who actually
consider Pam Anderson, or Anna Nicole Smith as a role model as side
entertainment.

As an American, I think cycling requires to high of an IQ for the fat,
American, slob, in the grandstand wearing face paint, no shirt, and a
giant piece of cheese on his head while it is 20 degrees outside.

And this is coming from an American in California.
Old July 22nd 03, 04:55 AM
Edward Waffle

If you are waiting for Americans to get smarter, then cycling will never be
popular in the USA.

Old July 22nd 03, 06:08 AM
warren

In article
, Edward
Waffle wrote:

If you are waiting for Americans to get smarter, then cycling will never be
popular in the USA.

Consider this... As Americans continue to get fatter I'm seeing more
and more of these fatties riding their bikes on the bike trail. 45
miles of paved and shaded paths with water fountains and picnic tables
every few miles while riding next to a nice river is a good way to do
something like exercise. Perhaps there is a point where the fattie
says, "I'm 40 pounds overweight and I've got to do something about it.
Riding a bike looks easy enough and alot more comfortable than running
so I'll try that." The other interesting thing around here at least is
that in the last two years or so the proportion of those beginners that
are women has grown to about 50%.

-WG
Old July 22nd 03, 06:09 AM
Cycling Joe

I have a few bubba's at the office who've enjoyed the hell out of the
TDF this year now that it's on OLN.

Old July 22nd 03, 06:26 AM
Edward Waffle

warren wrote in message ...
In article
, Edward
Waffle wrote:

If you are waiting for Americans to get smarter, then cycling will never

be
popular in the USA.

Consider this... As Americans continue to get fatter I'm seeing more
and more of these fatties riding their bikes on the bike trail.

With all due respect: F*ck them and the bike they rode in on. Morons spend a
lot of money on what they consider to be mountain bikes and then can't find
any place to ride them other than the damned sidewalks.

The "bike" paths are full of people walking and pushing strollers.

Old July 22nd 03, 06:43 AM
Tony Austn

In article
,
"Edward Waffle" wrote:

The "bike" paths are full of people walking and pushing strollers.

I hate that so much. I have fallen twice because of that. It's always
the fat pig with the dog and the two kids who really belong on the leash.
Old July 22nd 03, 07:15 AM
Raptor

Tony Austn wrote:
The American public prefers sports where beer is sold and cheerleaders
with fake blonde hair with those silly colored stripes in it with

Now, there's an idea!

Le Tour doesn't need them - the podium girls are enough for the
organization. But the TEAMS, at least the top ones, could hire
cheerleading squads.

I'm not enough of a marketing genius to figure out how best to work them
into each stage. They've got to be in front of the cameras every day.

(OLN needs to make a commercial based on your whole arrogant, but
possibly correct, post.)

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old July 22nd 03, 08:21 AM
Tezza

Tony Austn wrote:
[...]

Tony, You give me hope. All we see here in Aus, is the dumb yank
courtesy of some third rate TV show or Hollywood fantasy. Your
comments make it clear that there really is intelligent life out
there. Cheers, Tezza

Old July 22nd 03, 01:50 PM
Carl Sundquist

"Edward Waffle" wrote in message

The "bike" paths are full of people walking and pushing strollers.

Which is exactly the same attitude that many drivers have with bikes on the
road.

why bigger tires? pas Mountain Biking 24 July 14th 04 03:03 PM
More Paris Cycling - Along Southern Rim Elisa Francesca Roselli General 3 May 26th 04 02:01 AM
Age doesn't stop 70-somethings who are cycling devotees Garrison Hilliard General 5 March 22nd 04 04:56 AM
PowerOn Cycling brings Tampa to Mayors Ride Music & Excitement National Bicycle Greenway General 0 February 18th 04 05:31 PM