Doing a Demo for a crowd (peeps in the crowd are NOT uni'rs)

Old July 1st 05, 09:57 PM
Brian MacKenzie

Default Doing a Demo for a crowd (peeps in the crowd are NOT uni'rs)

I forgot to mention this about a demo i was involved in a few weeks
back...
Don't perform tricks for unicyclists, perform them for the crowd.

I was doing a demo with the Sarnia Unipsyco's (most have dual
London/Sarnia memberships) and here are some of the biggest tricks...

hopping onto a car

gapping to a car from a platform

huge gaps

huge drops

You know what the crowd loved the most? (based on audience cheering and
ooh's and oh's)

riders skipping in a 10 - 15 rope held by rope spinning people at each
end.

The skipping got the biggest crowd reaction by far.

weird, eh? They don't care that you just did a 3 foot gap instead of a
4 foot gap, especially if it took several attempts.

If you are performing for a crowd, don't picture it as performing for a
crowd who knows anything about the complexity of the tricks. Do a 3
foot gap if you are going to take 3 or 4 times to successfully pull off
the 4 footer.

the people in the crowd are not unicyclists, and they don't want to
watch you attempting something (unless it ends in catasrophe)

--
Brian MacKenzie - LAN Solo

'TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED DVD - NOW AVAILABLE!'
(HTTP://WWW.LBMMULTIMEDIA.COM)

'ps. just watched TWNR, the UW36 on the stairs broke my brain' - markf

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
*122* reviews on *79* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old July 1st 05, 10:26 PM
Schmidty563

wow
kinda weird that they dont know
its weird cuz all unicyclists know about how hard it is to do some of
those tricks
yet simple ones get the most applause

--
Schmidty563 - fearless unicyclist

dude, unicycling is awesome
Schmidty563's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9867

Old July 1st 05, 10:53 PM
James_Potter

hehe, today I was riding downtown past some teenage girls, and they
yelled, 'do a trick do a trick!!' it was crowded, so I couldn't do
anything. one of them yelled, 'hop!' so I did a very small rolling hop,
barely leaving Earth at all, and they totally freaked out and thought I
was the most amazing thing in the world. teenage girls are fun, but
they can be very annoyingly stupid sometimes. (:

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old July 1st 05, 11:45 PM
Fuego

oh yeah, I was riding back from lunch with some of my freinds who don't
uni, and they told me to go up a curb. I did, thinking it wasn't that
impressive. The reaction? "Whoah! Did that just HAPPEN?!"

it was cool.

--
Fuego - Definetely no brain.

If u could've aborted president bush using medicinal marijuana grown by
a gay guy with a feeding-tube who was on death row, wade u?
-GILD

"Get off my Property before you sue me!"
-Morons everywhere.

'OneWheelNinjaSquad' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/OneWheelNinjaSquad)
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

Old July 2nd 05, 12:19 AM
phlegm

My experience has been that hopping up a curb is considered cooler than
backwards or one-footed riding. It's depressing that a skill that took
a few hours to learn is so much more appreciated than ones that took
several weeks to learn well. We need uni-appreciation classes in
schools.

--
phlegm - skill level e
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

Old July 2nd 05, 01:25 AM
ThisGuyIKnow

by far the most impressive trick ever, to non-unicyclists is riding a
girrafe, or to be more impressive a flaming giraffe.

It's jsut liek with juggling, juggling fire isn't that much fun, and
it's no harder than juggling clubs, but if you want bills in the hat you
gotta use fire (or knives, even if they are nicely weighted, easy for
juggling knives)

--
ThisGuyIKnow - Film Guy
ThisGuyIKnow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10203

Old July 2nd 05, 06:36 AM
spyder

James_Potter wrote:
* teenage girls are fun...*

Gigada, gigada, gigada. (If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.)

--
spyder - Chico Malo

catboy's my main man.
\"i am proud to say that i have three posters of a shirtless man in my
room.\"- catboy
\"i have a giant transformers: the movie poster in my room\"- catboy

\"sorry about my 'obtuse' post. i'll try not to anymore, but this is
jc..... \"- tyler cox, mar 20/05
\"hey!!! i'm the one that looks like pamela anderson!!!\"- tyler cox,
apr 8/05
\"don't worry, i'm not a nerd.\"- tyler cox, may 7/05
\"gayno, are you really gay? if so, that's absolutely awsome with me.\"-
tyler cox, may 23/05
\"unis are awsome ice-breakers for talking with hot chicks.\"- tyler
cox, 11yrs old, may 23/05
\"if you had the mental capacity to ignore me, you would have never had
this little turd in your life's toilet.\"-tyler cox, may 25/05
spyder's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4190

Old July 2nd 05, 10:11 AM
GILD

yeah, it's a comedic quagmire

--
GILD - Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
'alice' (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?) 'roosevelt'
(http://tinyurl.com/963jr) 'longworth' (http://tinyurl.com/78ybd)

I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- 'william h mauldin'
(http://www.johnconyers.com/)

...using nietzsche's metaphysics to escape from
christianity...-'metro_tramp on the value of metaphysics'
(http://tinyurl.com/4sjw6)-
it's hard to be sure, and good to be paranoid...john childs on life on
the internet
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purp...ld-in-time.php)

Old July 2nd 05, 10:24 AM
Seager

It's the same with devilsticking and juggling. Even diablo. They just
want you to throw it higher or do more numbers. They don't care if you
know 100 3 ball tricks or if you are passing and throwing in tricks left
and right. Pass clubs around someone and just throw your devil sticks
and diablo really high and that's all they want. Easy and flashy beats
technical every day.

That and fire and knives. If you can't get hurt, they don't care.

--
Seager - that one guy who does that stuff

'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com)
Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840

Old July 2nd 05, 02:54 PM
UniBrier

You're right about the jump rope bit.

They do love jumps over humans though! Be sure your jumper has a 100%
success rate.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404