Question for the 29er crowd

Old September 12th 05, 03:25 AM
Ottawa Dave

Default Question for the 29er crowd

Hi folks,

I'm trying to decide which 29er to buy.
I will be rideing paved roads with some hills, I want to go fast and for
a long way, but not on a coker.
Any thoughts on semcycle XL 700c from UDC or the Semcycle XL lite 700c ?
Both seem to have the same wheel build only different tires. It looks
like the frame is the same on both. It's hard to make a choise with out
being able to ride a bunch of different unis.
I've got about $400 Canadian to play with.
Any advise would help alot.

Thanks Dave

--
Ottawa Dave - Mmm Muni
Ottawa Dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7959

Old September 12th 05, 05:48 PM
Mikefule

Bump to the top.

For the riding that you have in mind, the choice of frame and wheelset
is unlikely to be critical. The seat, tyre,cranks and pedals are all
upgradeable.

Seat: you will have your own preference.
Ty I am exactly the wrong person to advise you.
Cranks: depends on your ability and local terrain.
pedals: the best you can afford.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

So, do you ride with a club?

No, but I carry a heavy spanner.

Old September 12th 05, 06:36 PM
tholub

In my opinion, the Schawlbe Big Apple tire is superior to the Nanoraptor
for road riding, and probably superior to any other 29" tire. So your
frame does make a difference, in that it has to be able to fit the Big
Apple. The Sem XL does fit the Big Apple, but it is pretty tight
clearance both on the sides and on the top. On my current ride (Sem XL
with Big Apple), tire imperfections cause the tire to rub the frame in
places when I pump it up to 60 psi.

I would recommend the Yuni 29" at $245 from unicycle.com.

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

Old September 12th 05, 07:16 PM
rob

Dave;

Download Bedford Unicycles Product list at www.bedfordunicycles.ca.
Darren has everything you need and within your price range!

He has a 29" cross country unicycle for about $305.00.

Based on how you want to ride, I would recommend the Schwabble Big Apple
on the uni. It is what I use and I love it! It is great for street and
cross county riding. Use the 125 mm cranks and your off and running!

--
rob - Number of times over = Proficiency
rob's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6495

Old September 12th 05, 11:40 PM
Ottawa Dave

Mikefule thanks for the bump.
Rob I would like to buy from Darren but he says he's out of stock till
later this year on 29 frames.
The Big apple tire seems to be the way to go, but I still want to be
able to run the narrowest frame that I can.
Any body else have any ideas?

Thanks Dave

Old September 13th 05, 02:43 AM
TonyMelton

tholub wrote:
*In my opinion, the Schawlbe Big Apple tire is superior to the
Nanoraptor for road riding, and probably superior to any other 29"
tire. So your frame does make a difference, in that it has to be able
to fit the Big Apple. The Sem XL does fit the Big Apple, but it is
pretty tight clearance both on the sides and on the top. On my
current ride (Sem XL with Big Apple), tire imperfections cause the
tire to rub the frame in places when I pump it up to 60 psi. *

The Sem XLW (W for wide) frame will fix the tyre rubbing problem.
The 'Nimber 29er frame' (http://tinyurl.com/74onc) will also fit a
Schwalbe Big Apple. Get the 28x2.35" version of the BA, rather than the
28x2".

--
TonyMelton - Cloud 9

The way to a man's heart is through his veins.
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118