A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Mountain Biking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Mountain Biking Tied to Serious Spinal Injuries: Evolution at Work!



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 2nd 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,798
Default Mountain Biking Tied to Serious Spinal Injuries: Evolution at Work!

"One patient left the hospital against medical advice." That says it
all!

Mike


Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:17:29 -0800
From: Normonster
Subject: Mtn Biking & spinal injuries

Mountain Biking
Tied to Serious
Spinal Injuries
HA L I FAX, N. S. * Mountain biking
is a growing cause of serious spinal injuries,
often resulting in permanent disability,
Dr. Neilson McLean reported in
a poster at the 11th International Conference
on Emergency Medicine.
Dr. McLean, an emergency medicine
resident at the University of British Columbia,
Vancouver, retrospectively examined
the trauma and spine registries
of three Vancouver-area trauma centers
in 1994-2004. During that time, 399
patients were treated for injuries. Of
those, 52 sustained spinal injuries.
Most of the patients were male
(92%), and they had an average age of
33 years. Most (36) had been wearing a
helmet at the time of the accident.
The most common mechanism of injury
was a fall over the handlebars (29).
Their average injury severity score was
17. A total of 54% required surgery.
Most of the patients (71%) sustained
a severe spinal injury; 33% had a root
injury, 11% a central cord injury, 22%
an incomplete spinal cord injury, and
34% a complete spinal cord injury.
Upon discharge, 54% had a neurologic
deficit. A total of 32 patients were
discharged to home. However, 15 went
to a rehabilitation facility and 4 to an
acute care facility. One patient left the
hospital against medical advice.
*Michele G. Sullivan


** I had trouble sending the original in pdf format. If interested, I
can send this out from a different account. -Norm
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Ads
  #2  
Old November 3rd 06, 05:35 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 459
Default Being alive leads to death

Film at 11

Merely eating spinach caused many to be seriously ill.
Thousands are killed on America's roadways.
Falls in the home still leading cause of injury.
Drowning tops threats to childhood safety.

Is there any reason to explore the absurdity of MV's posting any further?

Tha answer is "NO".


  #3  
Old November 3rd 06, 08:03 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 63
Default Mountain Biking Tied to Serious Spinal Injuries: Evolution at Work!

top posted:

Doctors and hosptials are stupid and shoule be ignored.


Class.

  #4  
Old November 3rd 06, 08:09 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Sornson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,098
Default Mountain Biking Tied to Serious Spinal Injuries: Evolution at Work!

wrote:
top posted:

Doctors and hosptials are stupid and shoule be ignored.


Class.


Dismissed?


  #5  
Old November 3rd 06, 03:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 747
Default Being alive leads to death

S Curtiss wrote:
Film at 11

Merely eating spinach caused many to be seriously ill.
Thousands are killed on America's roadways.
Falls in the home still leading cause of injury.
Drowning tops threats to childhood safety.

Is there any reason to explore the absurdity of MV's posting any further?

Tha answer is "NO".



We should get rid of our homes before they hurt us.
  #6  
Old November 3rd 06, 04:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,798
Default Being alive leads to death

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 00:35:40 -0500, "S Curtiss"
wrote:

Film at 11

Merely eating spinach caused many to be seriously ill.
Thousands are killed on America's roadways.
Falls in the home still leading cause of injury.
Drowning tops threats to childhood safety.

Is there any reason to explore the absurdity of MV's posting any further?

Tha answer is


Did you say something?

"NO".

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
  #7  
Old November 3rd 06, 06:08 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
G.T.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,403
Default Being alive leads to death

Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 00:35:40 -0500, "S Curtiss"
wrote:

Film at 11

Merely eating spinach caused many to be seriously ill.
Thousands are killed on America's roadways.
Falls in the home still leading cause of injury.
Drowning tops threats to childhood safety.

Is there any reason to explore the absurdity of MV's posting any further?

Tha answer is


Did you say something?


Have you EVER said anything?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

How does it feel to be so ineffective for so long?

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Waking to the sound of laughter
Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons
  #8  
Old November 3rd 06, 08:27 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 459
Default Being alive leads to death


"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
...
On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 00:35:40 -0500, "S Curtiss"
wrote:

Film at 11

Merely eating spinach caused many to be seriously ill.
Thousands are killed on America's roadways.
Falls in the home still leading cause of injury.
Drowning tops threats to childhood safety.

Is there any reason to explore the absurdity of MV's posting any further?

The answer is... (clipped by MV in a transparent attempt at making a
point)


Did you say something?

"NO".

Awwww.... poor little man can't think beyond his opinion. So pathetic.


  #9  
Old November 3rd 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Ed Pirrero
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 785
Default Being alive leads to death


S Curtiss wrote:
"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
...
On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 00:35:40 -0500, "S Curtiss"
wrote:

Film at 11

Merely eating spinach caused many to be seriously ill.
Thousands are killed on America's roadways.
Falls in the home still leading cause of injury.
Drowning tops threats to childhood safety.

Is there any reason to explore the absurdity of MV's posting any further?

The answer is... (clipped by MV in a transparent attempt at making a
point)


Did you say something?

"NO".

Awwww.... poor little man can't think beyond his opinion. So pathetic.


What would really be interesting is if he could actually think up to
his opinion. But the opinion was formed first, then the data was
manufactured to support it. Junk science, defined.

E.P.

  #10  
Old November 4th 06, 03:42 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 459
Default Being alive leads to death


"Ed Pirrero" wrote in message
ps.com...

S Curtiss wrote:
"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
...
On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 00:35:40 -0500, "S Curtiss"
wrote:

Film at 11

Merely eating spinach caused many to be seriously ill.
Thousands are killed on America's roadways.
Falls in the home still leading cause of injury.
Drowning tops threats to childhood safety.

Is there any reason to explore the absurdity of MV's posting any
further?

The answer is... (clipped by MV in a transparent attempt at making a
point)

Did you say something?

"NO".

Awwww.... poor little man can't think beyond his opinion. So pathetic.


What would really be interesting is if he could actually think up to
his opinion. But the opinion was formed first, then the data was
manufactured to support it. Junk science, defined.


In a nutshell. Touche'

E.P.



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- Why Off-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 0 October 22nd 06 03:39 AM
"A Comparative Study of Impacts to Mountain Bike Trails in Five Common Ecological Regions of the Southwestern U.S." Mike Vandeman Social Issues 31 September 1st 06 05:21 PM
The Psychology of Mountain Biking Mike Vandeman Social Issues 22 August 12th 06 03:15 AM
Mountain Biking FAQ Chris Foster Social Issues 10 August 2nd 06 04:43 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.