Is it insane to attempt a 100 mile charity ride on a Single Speed Mountain Bike?

Old July 12th 04, 08:43 PM
Lobo Tommy

Default Is it insane to attempt a 100 mile charity ride on a Single Speed Mountain Bike?

Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.
Old July 12th 04, 09:00 PM
David Kerber

In article , empbt6
@yahoo.com says...
Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

If you are riding in the mountains, then yes, but elsewhere it depends
on your conditioning. If you're a strong rider, then it might be a nice
challenge.

newsgroups if possible).
Old July 12th 04, 09:20 PM
Per Elmsäter

Lobo Tommy wrote:
Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

If you could do it you'd know and wouldn't need to ask
..
--
Perre

Old July 12th 04, 09:24 PM
MattB

Lobo Tommy wrote:
Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

Only if that's too much for you.
I know some people who would have no problem and some others who might die.

Matt

Old July 12th 04, 09:37 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old July 12th 04, 10:52 PM
curt

Kind of a stupid question. If you live in a flat area, like TX, OH, FL or
something who cares if you have gears? If you live in an area that is very
hilly, then it would be harder. With the right single speed you can do most
anything, it just takes longer than if you had a multi. I think people ride
singles to impress other people mostly IMHO. I could care less. I am into
speed and hills, so singles are a waste of time for someone that wants to go
fast. All I can say is.... care to race around western PA?

Curt

"Lobo Tommy" wrote in message
m...
Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

Old July 12th 04, 11:16 PM
Stephen Foley

SInglespeed/Fixed gear is more about going back to simplicity than anything.
It's like how some folks prefer the simplicity of an old pre-computerized
car.

Given the singlespeed is not the most efficient thing in the world, but it
is probably quite a bit more reliable than a multi-gear bike, especially
under abuse. BMXs are dominantly singlespeed for a reason

BTW, if my overweight butt can do 60 on a mtn bike....you can at least give
it a shot. Just make sure your gearing is not too wimpy or too aggressive
and go have some fun.
"curt" wrote in message
Kind of a stupid question. If you live in a flat area, like TX, OH, FL or
something who cares if you have gears? If you live in an area that is

very
hilly, then it would be harder. With the right single speed you can do

most
anything, it just takes longer than if you had a multi. I think people

ride
singles to impress other people mostly IMHO. I could care less. I am

into
speed and hills, so singles are a waste of time for someone that wants to

go
fast. All I can say is.... care to race around western PA?

Curt

"Lobo Tommy" wrote in message
m...
Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

Old July 12th 04, 11:16 PM
Dan Cosley

In article , curt wrote:
Kind of a stupid question. If you live in a flat area, like TX, OH, FL or
something who cares if you have gears?

Every so often here in relatively flat Minnesota the wind blows,
and it's handy to be able to gear down.

-- Dan

--
Dan Cosley * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/)
GroupLens Research Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372)
Old July 13th 04, 12:31 AM
HardwareLust

Lobo Tommy wrote:
Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

Nope. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun (depending on the severity
hills, of course.) Several centuries I've been to would have been perfectly
fine on a SS. It would, of course, make it more difficult that on a
standard road bike or mountain bike in most cases, but certainly it's
perfectly doable.

Do not let other people talk you out of this. You'll never know for
yourself if you don't. "Just do it", and then come back and tell us how it
went.

Regards,
H.