Help Needed

Old July 30th 05, 05:36 PM
Tosspot

Default Help Needed

It all started with the Anthrotech, conventional derailur setup or hub?
Well, since I'm sick of maintenance, hub was the way. Rohloff or not?
Well, if you are going to do it, do it properly.

What a wonderful product, the only problem its a bit heavy and geared
accordingly, I run out at 30-35kph. A bigger chain ring? But that
would lose the bottom end. Ah ha! A Schlumpf SpeedDrive is *just* what
the docter ordered, 28 speeds, nicely overlapped, still have the low 1st
gear and a ridiculously tall top gear.

Lovely things these hub gears. Be bloody nice if I had a two wheeled
bike with one. One Karate Monkey frame later and *another* Rohloff hub.

I now have two Rohloffs, one Schlumpf, shopping bike, a trike, and
another about to be built.

There seems no end to the sickness, where will it stop? Those KMX
trikes look nice, and they aren't *that* expensive. I could then get
rid of the shopping bike and use the KMX, but derailurs again.
Hmmm...what about a Nexave 8 speed hub on the KMX? Looks possible.

Please someone help me, its all getting out of hand, I used to use a 300
quid bike for commuting to work, it was fine. What happened. I mean,
it's not like just one bike hurts anyone.

I'm sure I can give it up, it's not a problem, honest....
Old July 30th 05, 06:35 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Tosspot
') wrote:

Please someone help me, its all getting out of hand, I used to use a
300
quid bike for commuting to work, it was fine. What happened. I mean,
it's not like just one bike hurts anyone.

I'm sure I can give it up, it's not a problem, honest....

Hello, I'm Simon Brooke, and I used to have a bicycle problem. But I
haven't bought one for a whole year! Oh, err, what, that one last week?
It's just a little one, and anyway, it's for my partner, honest!

The Conservative Party now has the support of a smaller proportion of
the electorate in Scotland than Sinn Fein have in Northern Ireland.

Old July 30th 05, 07:19 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Simon Brooke wrote:

It's just a little one, and anyway, it's for my partner, honest!

Oo-er missus!
Old July 30th 05, 07:29 PM
Al C-F

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:36:53 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

Please someone help me, its all getting out of hand, I used to use a 300
quid bike for commuting to work, it was fine. What happened. I mean,
it's not like just one bike hurts anyone.

I'm sure I can give it up, it's not a problem, honest....

So do you have each of these bikes for a specific purpose? The
shopping bike for, well, shopping. The trike for getting to and from
the pub (especially from, when the balance organs are compromised).

Or are you just acquiring toys in a "I wonder what one of these is
like to ride" stylee?

Perhaps the time to stop collecting is when you spend more time
maintaining them than riding them.
Old July 30th 05, 07:44 PM
wafflycat

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
It's just a little one, and anyway, it's for my partner, honest!

Well they do say size is not important ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Old July 30th 05, 10:53 PM
dave

wafflycat wrote:

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message

It's just a little one, and anyway, it's for my partner, honest!

Well they do say size is not important ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Funnily enough many of those who say that seem to have very large 4wds.

Old July 30th 05, 10:57 PM
Sara Kirk

In article , dave
wrote:

wafflycat wrote:

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message

It's just a little one, and anyway, it's for my partner, honest!

Well they do say size is not important ;-)

Cheers, helen s

eee - you up again already?
Funnily enough many of those who say that seem to have very large 4wds.

--
Sara

iChat: sarakirk (AIM)
So, what are you going to do? Sucker me to death?
Old July 31st 05, 10:56 AM
Tosspot

wrote:

Please someone help me, its all getting out of hand, I used to use a 300
quid bike for commuting to work, it was fine. What happened. I mean,
it's not like just one bike hurts anyone.

I'm sure I can give it up, it's not a problem, honest....

So do you have each of these bikes for a specific purpose? The
shopping bike for, well, shopping. The trike for getting to and from
the pub (especially from, when the balance organs are compromised).

Thats it, I can justify every purcase! The trike is very good for beer
garden transport.

Or are you just acquiring toys in a "I wonder what one of these is
like to ride" stylee?

Perhaps the time to stop collecting is when you spend more time
maintaining them than riding them.

LOL. I was peering at the oil change kits for the Rohloffs in my LBS
yesterday thinking, "I need some of those". On a similar note I have
discovered plastic syringes are excellent for oil/grease delivery.
Cheap as chops, or free from you local druggie/patient.
Old August 1st 05, 10:34 AM
daren

I think one major bike purchase per year is reasonable. In recent years
it has been:
2001 Brompton
2002 Dawes Kiddyback Tandem
2003 Trek MT60 (kids)
2004 Burley Piccolo (kids)
2005 KMX trike (kids)
2005 TBC (but something from Airborne most likely)

This year will be the exception. I'd like to say I can give up, but
there is no point lying...Once self-justification is passed, one just
peddles one's habit to the kids as is evidenced by the above.

regards
daren
--
remove outer garment for reply

Old August 1st 05, 10:52 AM
David Martin

daren wrote:
I think one major bike purchase per year is reasonable. In recent years
it has been:
2001 Brompton
2002 Dawes Kiddyback Tandem
2003 Trek MT60 (kids)
2004 Burley Piccolo (kids)
2005 KMX trike (kids)
2005 TBC (but something from Airborne most likely)

This year will be the exception. I'd like to say I can give up, but
there is no point lying...Once self-justification is passed, one just
peddles one's habit to the kids as is evidenced by the above.

I seem to get one major bike purchase every five years or so.

Otherwise I just get them in in dribs and drabs and weld them together.

...d

Muni advice needed unidaddy Unicycling 9 July 29th 05 05:16 AM
Investigating The Energy Needed to Stay in Balance UniBrier Unicycling 11 April 20th 05 04:21 PM
more bike advice needed Peter Clinch UK 3 August 5th 04 05:19 PM
Help needed van Rossum UK 2 August 11th 03 05:34 PM
Campagnolo Front Mirage Triple derailleur clamp part # needed Peter Techniques 1 August 2nd 03 02:18 PM