fix for tight dura ace freehub body bearing

Old May 16th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default fix for tight dura ace freehub body bearing

My 7700 free hub has been tight to the point of the chain dropping on
the chainstay while freewheeling at speed. LBS genius (Tim at
Fairfield, Victoria) took off the freehub and notoiced it ran free when
off, but not on. Also noticed the washer behind the body was bent. He
added another washer similar to the existing washer (not exact though),
reinstalled the freehub and voila, problem solved.

Not sure what it changed though. Did the back of the outer part of the
body rub on the hub without the extra washer? The wheels were used
when I got them; do they normally come with more washers or shims?

Old May 17th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"mtb Dad" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 7700 free hub has been tight to the point of the chain dropping on
the chainstay while freewheeling at speed. LBS genius (Tim at
Fairfield, Victoria) took off the freehub and notoiced it ran free when
off, but not on. Also noticed the washer behind the body was bent. He
added another washer similar to the existing washer (not exact though),
reinstalled the freehub and voila, problem solved.

Not sure what it changed though. Did the back of the outer part of the
body rub on the hub without the extra washer? The wheels were used
when I got them; do they normally come with more washers or shims?

The freehub washer was bent?? I cannot think of any naturally occuring
event that could cause this to happen. Apart from someone taking the
freehub off the bike, and then munging up the re-install. And then even
that would be hard.

And, yes, the freehub will generally rub on the hub shell without the
washer. There is only ever one washer - no other shims. But it has to be
the right washer.

In any case I would check to see if your freehub is the original. The
original is titanium and is a very light and pricey little item (at least
100 Canadian Pesos). Would it be possible that the original owner of these
wheels swapped out a plain steel Shimano freehub and kept the titanium
original? And then messed up the washer during the swap?

I have seen this on Ebay: new XTR and Dura-Ace rear hubs for sale with a
non-original steel freehub. And also sellers flogging the Ti freehubs. Go
figure.

Old May 17th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I think you're probably right. This was an ebay purchase. Can't tell
if the body is Ti or not; is Ti magnetic? If not, it's steel.

Maybe it is a cheap freehub body; could that be why it was rubbing?

Maybe I had the worng washer? The one that fixed the problem had a
smaller inside diamter, though for some reason Tim put it behind the
old bent one.