Vintage Trek Bicycle - Is it worth it?

Old July 11th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

Default Vintage Trek Bicycle - Is it worth it?

I have primarily ridden Mountain Bikes, but am looking for a decent
but ineensive road bike to use for commuting and back and forth to the
store and such. Someone is selling a vintage Trek 660 for $330 and i
was wondering if y'all thought that it was worth it. Seems to be
pretty stock but looks decent.

thanks,
Old July 11th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Frank W. Marrs III

depends what year it is. 660 is a mid- to upper-level in the eighties
steel frames (which were good bikes). you can get some good info from
www.vintage-trek.com. it also depends on the components and the
condition. for a good condition, very solid steelframe (which the early
treks were), 330 is pretty good IMO. much better than you'd do on eBay
at lest.

Frank

Old July 11th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Frank W. Marrs III

depends what year it is. 660 is a mid- to upper-level in the eighties
steel frames (which were good bikes). you can get some good info from
www.vintage-trek.com. it also depends on the components and the
condition. for a good condition, very solid steelframe (which the early
treks were), 330 is pretty good IMO. one thing to look for is the make
of the steel tubing: Reynolds 531 is regarded as a superior tube, and
Reynolds anything is regarded better than others (though Columbus is
right up there as well). much better than you'd do on eBay at lest.

Frank

Old July 11th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

K,

I apologize in advance if this violates any newgroup policy/etiquette.

It may not be what you're looking for, but I've got a bike that I'm
looking to sell to help offest the cost of my new bike... Its slightly
more than what you're looking to spend on the Trek, but I can provide
more details if you're interested.

I'd like to get $500 for it, but am open to interesting offers. I can
ship anywhere in the US and will deliver within the NYC metro area.

The bike is a 1995 Lemond Alpe D'Huez (steel) 56cm. In 2001 everything
but the brakes were upgraded to full 9spd Dura Ace components
(Shimano's top of the line) . Included with the bike are Shimano SPD
clipless pedals, and a Specialized Turbo Pro computer w/ Cadence Kit.
I can also include a pair of size 9/9.5 Nike bike shoes (if
interested).

The bike has ~4000 total miles on the odometer. And is in fine working
condition (in fact I rode it this morning). Since I only ride in nice
weather, wear and tear has
been minimal. I have never crashed on the bike, so any nicks/scratches
are purely cosmetic. I can provide photos upon request.

I've done some research and I think $500 is a pretty fair price
considering you get:

- A complete bike with newer Dura Ace 9spd components
- A bike computer with a ton of features
- Clipless pedals (with shoes optional)
- I'll even throw in a saddle bag

Feel free to e-mail me directly if you're interested.

Kevin

Old July 11th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Frank W. Marrs III

Kevin has a point, this appears to be a much better bicycle for not much
more money. Then again, it might be a bit of overkill for just a commuter.