Landis backup test also positive; Tour de France title in jeopardy

Old August 5th 06, 07:02 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Landis backup test also positive; Tour de France title in jeopardy

Is anyone surprized that a mountain biker would lie? Certainly no one
who is familiar with them! "Liar" is their middle name....

Mike

Landis backup test also positive; Tour de France title in jeopardy
By JEROME PUGMIRE, AP Sports Writer
August 5, 2006

AP - Aug 5, 1:28 pm EDT
More Photos

PARIS (AP) -- Floyd Landis was fired by his team and the Tour de
France no longer considered him its champion Saturday after his second
doping sample tested positive for higher-than-allowable levels of
testosterone.

The samples contained synthetic testosterone, indicating that it came
from an outside source.

"I have received a text message from Chatenay-Malabry lab that
indicates the 'B' sample of Floyd Landis' urine confirms testosterone
was taken in an exogenous way," Pierre Bordry, who heads the French
anti-doping council, told The Associated Press shortly after the "B"
sample results were released.

Lab head Jacques De Ceaurriz said the isotope testing procedure was
"foolproof."

"No error is possible in isotopic readings," he told the AP.

Landis had claimed the testosterone was "natural and produced by my
own organism," and once again maintained his innocence.

"I have never taken any banned substance, including testosterone," he
said in a statement. "I was the strongest man at the Tour de France,
and that is why I am the champion.

"I will fight these charges with the same determination and intensity
that I bring to my training and racing. It is now my goal to clear my
name and restore what I worked so hard to achieve."

The Swiss-based team Phonak immediately severed ties with Landis, and
the UCI said it would ask USA Cycling to open disciplinary proceedings
against him.

"Landis will be dismissed without notice for violating the team's
internal Code of Ethics," Phonak said in a statement. "Landis will
continue to have legal options to contest the findings. However, this
will be his personal affair, and the Phonak team will no longer be
involved in that."

Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme said Landis no longer was
considered champion, but the decision to strip him of his title rests
with the International Cycling Union.

"It goes without saying that for us Floyd Landis is no longer the
winner of the 2006 Tour de France," Prudhomme told the AP in a
telephone interview. "Our determination is even stronger now to fight
against doping and to defend this magnificent sport."

Prudhomme said runner-up Oscar Pereiro would likely be the new winner.
"We can't imagine a different outcome," Prudhomme said.

AP - Aug 5, 1:27 pm EDT
More Photos
Reached in his hometown of Vigo, Spain, Pereiro saw it that way, too.

"Now I consider myself the winner," he said, while acknowledging that
the final decision was up to the UCI and subject to a legal challenge
by Landis.

Pereiro said that he regretted not having been able to celebrate a win
properly -- in Paris, wearing the winner's yellow jersey, having his
photograph taken on the podium.

"I would have liked to have lived that day, it would have been the
best day of my life, as a sportsman," he said.

Pereiro added that he felt badly for Landis.

"I consider him my friend, it surprised me and hurt me to hear what
had happened to him," he said. "I trust Floyd, but the analysis shows
he may have broken a rule. He failed an anti-doping test. If you fail
the norms set, then you have to be withdrawn."

If stripped of the title, Landis would become the first winner in the
103-year history of cycling's premier race to lose his Tour crown over
doping allegations.

UCI lawyer Philippe Verbiest said Landis would officially remain Tour
champion pending the U.S. disciplinary process, which involves a
series of steps:

Documentation from the positive tests will be forwarded to the U.S.
Anti-Doping Agency, which gives the evidence to a review panel. The
panel will make a recommendation to USADA, which would decide if a
penalty -- likely a two-year ban -- is appropriate. That decision is
forwarded to USA Cycling, the UCI and the World Anti-Doping Agency.
Landis can accept the decision or begin an appeals process, which can
take up to six months.

"Until he is found guilty or admits guilt, he will keep the yellow
jersey," he said. "This is normal. You are not sanctioned before you
are found guilty."

The results of the second test come nearly two weeks after he stood
atop the winner's podium on the Champs-Elysees in the champion's
yellow jersey.

Testosterone, a male sex hormone, helps build muscle and improve
stamina. The urine tests were done July 20 after Landis' Stage 17
victory during a grueling Alpine leg, when he regained nearly eight
minutes against then-leader Pereiro -- and went on to win the
three-week race.

AP - Aug 5, 1:18 pm EDT
More Photos
The tests turned up a testosterone/epitestosterone ratio of 11:1 --
far in excess of the 4:1 limit.

"It's incredibly disappointing," three-time Tour winner Greg LeMond
said by phone from the starting line at the Pan Mass Challenge in
Sturbridge, Mass. "I don't think he has much chance at all to try to
prove his innocence."

The case is expected to go to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency; the process
could take months, possibly with appeals to the Court of Arbitration
for Sport.

"It doesn't end here," said Landis' Spanish lawyer, Jose Maria Buxeda.
"What matters is the concept. A prohibited substance has been found in
the samples, but no immediate sanction comes into effect yet. The
rider will defend himself."

Landis, a 30-year-old former mountain biker, says he was tested eight
other times during the three-week tour and those results came back
negative.

Landis has hired high-profile American lawyer Howard Jacobs, who has
represented several athletes in doping cases.

Jacobs plans to go after the UCI for allegedly leaking information
regarding the sample testing.

Earlier this week, a New York Times report cited a source from the UCI
saying that a second analysis of Landis' "A" sample by carbon isotope
ratio testing had detected synthetic testosterone -- meaning it was
ingested.

"The offense is complete," World Anti-Doping Agency chairman Dick
Pound said. "All that remains to be seen is what the sanction is.

"A doping offense occurs when a presence of a prohibited substance is
detected in the urine or blood analysis. That's been done," he said.

AP - Aug 5, 1:17 pm EDT
More Photos
Since the Phonak team was informed of the positive test on July 27,
Landis and his defense team have offered various explanations for the
high testosterone reading -- including cortisone shots taken for pain
in Landis' degenerating hip; drinking beer and whiskey the night
before; thyroid medication; and his natural metabolism.

Another theory -- dehydration -- was rebuffed by anti-doping experts.

"When I heard it was synthetic hormone, it is almost impossible to be
caused by natural events. It's kind of a downer," said LeMond, the
first American to win the Tour. "I feel for Floyd's family. I hope
Floyd will come clean on it and help the sport. We need to figure out
how to clean the sport up, and we need the help of Floyd."

In Murrietta, Calif., where Landis lives, an AP reporter was asked by
police to leave the gated community when she attempted to approach his
house. Several cars were parked in front, and the blinds were drawn.

A man who said he was a friend of the family, but didn't want his name
used, answered the phone at the Landis' house and confirmed the
cyclist was there.

"We're drinking some coffee, and that's about it," he said.

Despite the latest test results a sign at a nearby freeway exit said,
"Welcome Home Floyd Landis, 2006 Tour de France Winner."

In Lancaster County, Pa., where Landis was raised in a conservative
Mennonite home, neighbors vowed their support.

"All he has accomplished, he has attained through his hard work and
discipline. We are very confident he will prove his innocence. It is
very unfortunate that these tests were revealed before he had a chance
to do so," said Tammy Martin, a longtime family friend.

Paul and Arlene Landis, who have supported their son since the doping
scandal broke, were out of town on a previously scheduled vacation.

A sign posted on their front yard said, "God Bless, Went Camping."

Associated Press Writers Jamey Keaten, Jean-Luc Courthial in Paris,
Erica Bulman in Geneva, Allison Hoffman in Murrietta, Calif. and
Michael Rubinkam in Ephrata, Pa.; and Sports Writers Vinay Cherwoo in
New York and Steve Wilson in London contributed to this report.

Updated on Saturday, Aug 5, 2006 1:34 pm EDT
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old August 5th 06, 08:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
R. Lander

Mike Vandeman wrote:

Is anyone surprized that a mountain biker would lie? Certainly no one
who is familiar with them! "Liar" is their middle name....

Is Landis even a mountain biker? Sure, some athletes are hyped-up,
selfish individuals but most bike riders are OK people. You've got to
find a fairer tactic.

Why not focus on population growth and greater pressure on the land in
general? Greater numbers magnify all behaviors.

R. Lander

Old August 5th 06, 08:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
R. Lander

Mike Vandeman wrote:

Is anyone surprized that a mountain biker would lie? Certainly no one
who is familiar with them! "Liar" is their middle name....

Is Landis still a mountain biker? Sure, some athletes are hyped-up,

Old August 5th 06, 08:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On 5 Aug 2006 12:29:15 -0700, "R. Lander"
wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:

Is anyone surprized that a mountain biker would lie? Certainly no one
who is familiar with them! "Liar" is their middle name....

Is Landis even a mountain biker?

Ex-mountain biker.

Sure, some athletes are hyped-up,
selfish individuals but most bike riders are OK people. You've got to
find a fairer tactic.

Why not focus on population growth and greater pressure on the land in
general? Greater numbers magnify all behaviors.

Show me the research that population growth leads to mountain biking.
Get your own vasectomy and shut up.

R. Lander

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old August 5th 06, 09:27 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
Is anyone surprized that a mountain biker would lie? Certainly no one
who is familiar with them! "Liar" is their middle name....

Interesting that he has been charged while cycling ON THE ROAD. Your
statement, as usual, means nothing as the accusations against Landis (and
the Spanish scandal at the opening of the TDF) involve the sport of ROAD
CYCLING. Again you show your own OPINION by gleefully posting what you think
makes a statement. However, since it is the sport of ROAD CYCLING that is in
question concerning doping allegations, it is obvious that your comment
proves further against you.
This series of events would lend support to the clean and healthy attitudes
of off-road cycling since Landis' alleged doping came into play AFTER
adopting road cycling.
Nice try, Mikey.... But again - You Lose.

Old August 5th 06, 09:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Thomas Lee Elifritz

Mike Vandeman wrote:

Landis backup test also positive; Tour de France title in jeopardy
By JEROME PUGMIRE, AP Sports Writer
August 5, 2006

AP - Aug 5, 1:28 pm EDT
More Photos

PARIS (AP) -- Floyd Landis was fired by his team and the Tour de
France no longer considered him its champion Saturday after his second
doping sample tested positive for higher-than-allowable levels of
testosterone.

The samples contained synthetic testosterone, indicating that it came
from an outside source.

Second hand synthetic testosterone. Happens all the time.

http://cosmic.lifeform.org
Old August 6th 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Andy H

"Mike Vandeman" wrote some more inane ****e.

OMG you absolute dickhead, who the **** cares what you have to say on the
subject, your bias and inability to tell anywhere near the truth is more
than well documented.

Best thing you could do is go fall off a cliff.. You sad lonely old LYING
******.

Andy H

Old August 6th 06, 05:54 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 16:27:11 -0400, "S Curtiss"
wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
.. .
Is anyone surprized that a mountain biker would lie? Certainly no one
who is familiar with them! "Liar" is their middle name....

Interesting that he has been charged while cycling ON THE ROAD. Your
statement, as usual, means nothing as the accusations against Landis (and
the Spanish scandal at the opening of the TDF) involve the sport of ROAD
CYCLING. Again you show your own OPINION by gleefully posting what you think
makes a statement. However, since it is the sport of ROAD CYCLING that is in
question concerning doping allegations, it is obvious that your comment
proves further against you.
This series of events would lend support to the clean and healthy attitudes
of off-road cycling since Landis' alleged doping came into play AFTER
adopting road cycling.
Nice try, Mikey.... But again - You Lose.

Once a mountain biker, ALWAYS a LIAR.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old August 6th 06, 05:55 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 23:01:09 GMT, "Andy H"
wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote some more inane ****e.

OMG you absolute dickhead, who the **** cares what you have to say on the
subject, your bias and inability to tell anywhere near the truth is more
than well documented.

Best thing you could do is go fall off a cliff.. You sad lonely old LYING
******.

What's a "******"?

Andy H

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old August 6th 06, 06:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss

wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

And, yet again, you attribute lying only to the person who has an off-road
background and completely disregard the lying from the road cyclists who
have never pursued mountain biking. Your OPINION completely colors your
statement.