recessed vs non-recessed cleat on clipless pedal shoes

Old September 12th 03, 06:05 PM
mark watkins

Default recessed vs non-recessed cleat on clipless pedal shoes

I am buying a new road bike after 15 years of riding my Schwinn La
Tour. I am probably getting a Cannondale R600 or maybe a Trek 1500. I
am also going to switch from sneaker in a pedal cage to clipless
pedals. Should I get the typical road shoe that has the cleat that
sticks out and makes it difficult to walk, or should I get the
recessed cleat shoe (typically thought of for mountain biking. I will
be biking about three days a week, 10 to 25 miles each time.
Old September 12th 03, 06:26 PM
R15757

Should I get the typical road shoe that has the cleat that
sticks out and makes it difficult to walk, or should I get the
recessed cleat shoe (typically thought of for mountain biking. I will
be biking about three days a week, 10 to 25 miles each time.

Mark, I vote for the ATB set-up. For anything other than racing, the modest
advantages of road pedals/shoes will be cancelled by the inability to walk in
comfort. Wear mtb shoes and use your bike for everyday tasks like shopping,
buying crack, etc.

Robert

Old September 12th 03, 06:31 PM
trg

"R15757" a écrit dans le message de
Should I get the typical road shoe that has the cleat that
sticks out and makes it difficult to walk, or should I get the
recessed cleat shoe (typically thought of for mountain biking. I will
be biking about three days a week, 10 to 25 miles each time.

Mark, I vote for the ATB set-up. For anything other than racing, the

modest
advantages of road pedals/shoes will be cancelled by the inability to walk

in
comfort. Wear mtb shoes and use your bike for everyday tasks like

shopping,
buying crack, etc.

Robert

But DO get ATB shoes with stiff soles.

---

Old September 12th 03, 06:42 PM
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:05:16 +0000, mark watkins wrote:

I am buying a new road bike after 15 years of riding my Schwinn La Tour. I
am probably getting a Cannondale R600 or maybe a Trek 1500. I am also
going to switch from sneaker in a pedal cage to clipless pedals. Should I
get the typical road shoe that has the cleat that sticks out and makes it
difficult to walk, or should I get the recessed cleat shoe (typically
thought of for mountain biking. I will be biking about three days a week,
10 to 25 miles each time.

It sounds like you have made up your mind, anyway. I rode for years and
years with toe-straps and cleats -- the slotted cleat, made out of soft
steel, that you nail to the bottom of the shoe. They were possibly worse
than Looks for walking, since it was metal.

When I got spds (now I use Frogs, which are IMO better), I was amazed at
being able to actually walk.

This is a no-brainer; get walkable shoes.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The
_`\(,_ | common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance,
(_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my
trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my
business!" --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"
Old September 12th 03, 11:38 PM
Rick Onanian

On 12 Sep 2003 10:05:16 -0700, mark watkins wrote:
pedals. Should I get the typical road shoe that has the cleat that
sticks out and makes it difficult to walk, or should I get the
recessed cleat shoe (typically thought of for mountain biking. I will

This is pretty well going to be the same advice
as my reply to your double vs. triple question.

The typical road shoe with typical "road" clipless
pedals may possibly be an advantage in a race, but
lacks versatility for real-world use.

Road system:
Advantage: Slightly more aerodynamic
Advantage: Occasionally more ground clearance
for sharp lean-angle turns
Advantage: Some claim better foot support
Advantage: Some claim better connection
Disadvantage: Walk like a duck
Disadvantage: Damage floors
Disadvantage: One-sided entry can be difficult
to find
Disadvantage: Some are tough to get into even
when you find the right side

MTB system, especially SPD:
Advantage: Easy in, easy out, good retention
Advantage: Walk normally, don't damage floor
Advantage: Double-sided, easy to find
Advantage: Cheaper
Advanatge: More comfortable shoes available
--Including sandals!
Advantage: If you go standard SPD, parts and
cleats and shoes are available
at every bike store along your
route
Disadvantage: Fabrizio Mazzeleoni will think
you look stupid
Disadvantage: Shoes that recess have a slight
extra weight in the tread

When you ride your road bike, you will occasionally
want to get off the bike and, for example, go into
the store to buy water; or stop at a pretty garden
and get out and look at the flowers; or stop to get
off the bike and flog Fabrizio.

Walking in road shoes sucks, and then when you get
back on the bike, the dirt your cleats picked up
from the road will get into the pedals; road
pedals will clog up, while MTB pedals won't.

If you're worried about Fabrizio thinking that you
are a fred, get Egg Beaters, which are excessively
cool on any road or mountain bike, and use mountain
shoes. They also offer a cleat for them that has
rubber pontoons for use with a road shoe so you
won't slide around (though you'll still walk like
a duck).

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 13th 03, 04:59 AM
mark watkins

What do ATB, MTB, and SPD stand for?

BTW, thanks to everyone for good advice
Old September 13th 03, 05:13 AM
Buck

"mark watkins" wrote in message
m...
What do ATB, MTB, and SPD stand for?

ATB = All-Terrain Bike
MTB = Mountain Bike
SPD = Shimano Pedaling Dynamics pedal; a "clipless" pedal that has a
mechanism on the pedal that latches to a cleat in the bottom of your shoe.

A good cycling glossary can be found at www.sheldonbrown.com

-Buck

Old September 13th 03, 05:27 AM
Eric S. Sande

What do ATB, MTB, and SPD stand for?

ATB = All terrain bicycle. AKA a road wheeled hybrid.

MTB = Mountain bicycle. AKA your basic 26" wheel bicycle.

SPD = Shimano Pedaling Dynamics. A clipless pedal system.

--

------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------