Riding in the SUN? (long)

Old April 26th 05, 03:13 AM
Dukester

Default Riding in the SUN? (long)

So I went to my regular 6 month checkup by my dermatologist today and it got
me wondering. Some background info: I'm in the high risk group of getting
skin cancer; fair skin, light hair, moles (lots of moles), sunburned at
young age many times, grew up on the beach, outdoor sports, burn after 15
minutes, etc. etc. I've had several "pre-cancerous" spots taken off, one
last year that required 12 stitches. Then to top it off a family friend
died last year around the same time from skin cancer that went systemic.

So I'm kinda keen on not getting it in any way, shape or form.

I do what I can, wearing sunscreen, hats, long-sleeve shirts when working
outside, pants. "PLEASE tell me you don't go out in the sun without a shirt
on.", he asked today (I don't). The beach has been out for a while, and that
is rough having grown up a surfer. But I'm down to the lycra shorts and
polyester shirt when riding, and I ride at least 4 of 5 days to/from work,
and run 2 or 3 days in the afternoons. In the mornings it's before the sun
is up, so that's ok. But in the afternoon around 3:30 the sun in
Mississippi is pretty strong and I already have a strong tan on my arms and
face even though I wear a Rx'd sunscreen. As much as I thought I knew, my
dermatologist told me today that it's the tanning rays that cause skin
cancer, not the rays that cause sunBurns. And an SPF 30 sunscreen is really
only at most a 4 or 6 SPF on tanning rays. So what to do?

Is riding wearing long sleeve shirts in the summer an option? They'd seem
hard to find now, and probably hot!? My doc gave me a catalog of SPF50
clothing, but it's mostly for women, and the ONE shirt in it for a man is
$80! It's just everyday wear, not cycling clothing anyway. On top of all
this I had a strange insight tonight wondering if all the short moments
walking to/from house to get the mail/bike/etc. with no sunscreen on arms &
hands were worse than long periods with sunscreen & clothes. Yes I worry
too much. Guinness & Harp help though (heh heh).

Do you worry or deal with this? I don't want to give up riding or running.
Having to quit mowing the grass would be ok.

Comments/suggestions?
--Cheers!
Duke

Old April 26th 05, 03:40 AM
jj

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:13:32 -0500, "Dukester"
wrote:

[...]

A little late to be asking this here when you've already got a strong tan
on your arms, no?

If really afraid why not spend a mere 80 bucks for a special jersey? :-)

The only complete blocker is probably zinc/titanium oxide and there's some
worry about absorption of titanium.

Just remember just because you are wearing sunblock or l/s jersey, you
should still try to stay out of the sun and not go in the sun more thinking
you're protected. There's always a part of the skin that will get fried on
high UV days, after all - (nose, top of head, etc.) g

Here's a link that may be helpful:

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology...1/vculler.html

According to this link the data is insufficient:
http://www.ynhh.org/healthlink/cancer/cancer_8_02.html

Best (worst) predictor is a prior history of melanoma or of family history
of same.

HTH.

jj

Old April 26th 05, 03:46 AM
bbbbb,

I am the same type you are, though I have yet to need anything
removed. For the last several years I usually wear long sleeve
T-shirts when outdoors, ALWAYs cover my face neck and ears with
sunscreen, wear a hat/sunglasses whenever posssible.

I know, long sleeve Tees aren't 100%, but they are a lot better than
nothing, they are comfortable and they don't cost much.

You are not alone!
Old April 26th 05, 03:58 AM
Rich

Dukester wrote:
I'm in the high risk group of getting
skin cancer; fair skin, light hair, moles (lots of moles), sunburned at
young age many times, grew up on the beach, outdoor sports, burn after 15
minutes, etc. etc.
And an SPF 30 sunscreen is really
only at most a 4 or 6 SPF on tanning rays. So what to do?

I'm not sure about the SPF 30 being only 4 or 6, but I do know you can
get SPF 40 (I do). Every little bit helps....

Rich
Old April 26th 05, 12:05 PM
catzz66

You can ride at off peak times for the sun, like early in the morning or
late in the evening. Wear sun screen. Wear a doo rag under your
helmet. Get regular checkups.
Old April 26th 05, 02:07 PM
Roger Zoul

Dukester wrote:

:: Do you worry or deal with this? I don't want to give up riding or
:: running. Having to quit mowing the grass would be ok.

Definitely quit mowing the grass so you can ride and run! (guilty as
charged, here!). Also, I'd think any lightweight shirt would work for you.
It may be hotter, but it still might help.

Old April 26th 05, 02:09 PM
Roger Zoul

catzz66 wrote:
:: You can ride at off peak times for the sun, like early in the
:: morning or late in the evening. Wear sun screen. Wear a doo rag
:: under your helmet. Get regular checkups.

One would think that living in MS would automatically induce one to ride in
off peak times! Good suggestion, though...

Old April 26th 05, 03:19 PM
Pat Lamb

Dukester wrote:
[...]

I've got a handful of long jerseys, and they vary in weight. Two, a
Cannondale and a Performance waffled high-vis yellow-green, are
noticeably lighter than the others. I've ridden in them a couple of
times when it's rather warm, usually when it was cool on the morning
commute and warmed up later.

Up to 70, they're OK. Up to 80, they can be tolerated for a half-hour
commute home. Over 80, in the Alabama humidity, they get hot. Plan on
pouring water over yourself every 15 minutes, and drinking about as
much, so you need to double the water you carry. Did I mention long
sleeve jerseys are really hot over about 80?

I know we had a long discussion about SPF factors a while back, but I've
never gotten sunburned (or even decently tanned!) under a cycling jersey.

Personally, I'd wear a short jersey and wouldn't worry about sun
exposure after 3:30. Even though you may be a couple hundred miles west
of me, that's still what I'd recommend. But you can probably still find
long jerseys, likely on sale, at many mail order bike suppliers (MOBS?).

Pat
Old April 26th 05, 03:34 PM
Cathy Kearns

I have similar problems. There are high tech poly shirts, mine are made by
Brooks, that have a weave that allows air to go through so you don't get
hot. They are meant to be an under layer, but work well in the sun on their
own. Lots of my tennis ladies wear them. (And they are fairly inexpensive,
I got them at Sports Express...)

I am allergic to all sunscreen I've found over 30SPF, but I've seen up to 60
SPF out there. If your skin can take it, go for it.

Put a visor on your helmet if you don't already have one.

Old April 26th 05, 03:42 PM
jj

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:19:59 -0500, Pat Lamb
wrote:

Dukester wrote:
[...]

Not to argue with you, but I have -never- found it hot riding the bike. If
it is above 92-3 degrees, I sometimes am concerned as I leave the house,
but I'm always surprised how cool it is once I'm riding. The heat might
make me sweat, but even if it's a calm day, as you know, the bike makes its
own wind. ;-) I'll agree that some people seem to adapt better to heat
or cold than others.

In fact sometimes, I'll wear extra clothing and get in a good sweat even on
hot days. The only thing that I've had to be concerned about in the summer
is getting a sunburn on my knees.

I know we had a long discussion about SPF factors a while back, but I've
never gotten sunburned (or even decently tanned!) under a cycling jersey.

Yes, but remember, some people are concerned that the dangerous rays are
the long-wave light, not the short-wave, UV, tanning rays. Perhaps it would
be prudent for those with histories of melanoma to also wear sun-screen
under their long-sleeve jersey (though it's more effective on UV than the
other kind), and to ride in the early am, or early evening when the sun is
low.

Personally, I'd wear a short jersey and wouldn't worry about sun
exposure after 3:30. Even though you may be a couple hundred miles west

For sensitive or at-risk individuals, I'd make it 5:30. Sometimes one can
still get quite a burn from 3 to 5 (remember EDT). ;-)

jj