29" Discussion thread

Old July 2nd 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibob

Default 29" Discussion thread

Doh! Don't know why I didn't check the markings on the tyre and the
box....

Bit of a noob mistake, I apologise.

I whacked my Big Apple on my KH29 and did 10miles on Monday night. Much
easier than with the WTB Stout. THe only problem I did have was a really
sore Top Of Left Leg / Hip area.

I'm guessing that I should have started my training with a smaller run
and builtup to the final run.
Anyone else get pain in this region from riding a uni on long
distance?

Also, I wore all my pads for this run but didn't feel like I needed
them. Everyone else, still wear pads even thought they're comfortable
or do you all prefer teh freedom of no smelly plastic pads?

Thanks,
Bob

--
unibob

UniBob
http://www.unibob.net
http://www.youtube.com/unibatbob
Old July 3rd 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Putting a smaller tube than the tire (diam + width) is fine, but can
increase the likelyhood of a flat, esp if there are any slight metal
nicks on the inner side of your rim. But the lighter weight would
allow you accelerate/stop/change direction faster (the most effective
place to loose weight).

feel the light wrote:
I reuse tubes myself, most of the time.

Lol. I had like 14 patches on a tube once.

I usually keep two tubes. One on the wheel and one patched and ready
to go. On rides I sometimes bring my spare tube, a patch kit and pump.
Once I got 3 flats.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old September 18th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Connahhh

Probably an unneccessary bump, but I figure it's better than starting a
whole new thread.

I'm doing a lot of street riding on a beat up 24" Savage. Now I figure
I'd rather go with a 29" than just simply replace the 24. I have two
options. The first being the Nimbus 29er ISIS for $310 + $15 shipping,
or a KH 29er 07' for $425 with free shipping. My question is whether or
not the KH would be WELL worth the $100 over the Nimbus. I also have a
brand new KH Fusion Freeride saddle, so if the only upgrade is the
saddle then it wouldn't be worth it.

Description of KH:

29" Mountain
Rim: Kris Holm 700c x 38mm, 36 hole, double wall
Spokes: Black stainless steel 13g
Minimun pedal-saddle distance: 75 cm (30 inches)
Color: dark blue with high-durability, glossy clearcoat, laser-etched
logo
Frame: 7005 T6 Aluminium frame
Hub: Kris Holm Moment ISIS hub
Cranks: Kris Holm 150mm Moment
Pedals: Odyssey Trailmix Black
Saddle: Kris Holm Fusion Freeride saddle with dual-density foam and
center cutaway. Kris Holm rail adaptor with brake and seatpost mount
Seatpost: J.D. Components 250mm, 27.2mm diameter
Ti 29 x 2.3 WTB Stout
Seatpost clamp: Double-bolted, aluminium
Magura brake compatible

Wheel Size: 700c
Color: Blue
Weight: 14.8 lbs

Description of Nimbus:

Features:

Saddle - Nimbus Gel
S.P. Diameter - 25.4
S.P. Clamp Style - Double Bolt
S.P. Clamp Size - 25.4
Frame Style - Round Crown
Frame Construction - Steel
Frame Finish - Chrome
Bearing Housing - Machined
Bearing Size - 42mm
Rim Size - 700c (29-inch)
Rim Construction - Aluminum Alloy
Rim Type - Single-walled
Tire Size - 29 X 2.35
Tube Size - 700c X 40/45c
Tire PSI - 65 max (recommended 40-45)
Hub Type - ISIS
Hub Construction - CrMo Steel
Spoke Count - 36
Crank Arm Length - 125mm
Crank Arm Type - ISIS
Crank Arm Construction - Aluminum Alloy
Pedal Type - Metal
Pedal Construction - Aluminum
Pedal Protector Size - Size #3
Cycle Weight - 18

--
Connahhh
Old September 18th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicycle-Emele

no

--
Unicycle-Emele

Any unicyclist in Westchester County, NY 'pm '
(http://tinyurl.com/6xu626)me.
'My video' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=cvBUcQ9QL_8)
'Other Vid' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9_j_UFiv3sY)
'newest vid' (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ReFi44k2lgY)

maestro8 wrote:
I'd rather watch you gas, brake, dip, dip.

Old September 18th 08, 06:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JohnnyReggae

@ Connahhh: I would go with the KH for no other reason than I recently
got my KH29'er and it rocks !!!! It's very light and nimble and easy to
throw around.

On another note...... my KH came with the Big Apple road tyre, not what
I wanted as I don't ride on the road, and had to buy an off-road tyre
from a LBS. The only decent tyre I could get was the WTB ExiWolf,
http://tinyurl.com/4knncv

Has anyone used this tyre ? and if so how does it handle in the
off-road conditions, particularly if I plan on doing some technical
MUni with it ?

--
JohnnyReggae

"Take all your overgrown infants away somewhere
And build them a home, a little place of their own.
The Fletcher Memorial Home for Incurable Tyrants and Kings."
Old September 18th 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sp4rky-m4rky

I say you should go for the KH29, I believe the nimbus does not come
with an adjustable seat post where as the KH does, that makes a big
difference IMO. the KH is lighter, has break mounts and is aluminium so
wont rust. Its definatly worth it. When I bought my KH29 it came with 2
tyres, not sure if it was ment to or if they still do that though.

--
sp4rky-m4rky

_Marcus_Collings_'*U**n**i**c**y**c**l**e**.**c**o **m*'
(http://www.unicycle.com/Gateway.asp)
*)---', 1mHighJump*
my 'pure trials vid' (http://www.vimeo.com/929928)
my 'Year in vid'
(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_FRoOqHBI#GU5U2spHI_4)
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'unispin tutorial'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
Want to glide? watch my 'ww tutorial'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrX0sY7QVo)
Old September 18th 08, 12:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
412

For $100 I would definitely upgrade. I bought a 08 KH29 just when they
came out. However i recommended my friend to get a Nimbus (less than
half the price) because if you are not really passionate about
equipment and know you are going to use it a lot, the Nimbus is good
enough.

Also if you won't do rougher stuff, then lighter cranks and rim of the
Nimbus make it feel quite a bit lighter. (I think the KH is well over
1kg heavier.)

That said the KH is awesome (got a brake on mine too)... if you have
the cash to spare.

--
412
Old September 18th 08, 12:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Connahhh

Hmm, alright guys. I think if I do buy it, I'll upgrade. I talked to my
Dad about it and he basically said he doesn't think I should get one at
all. If his points are valid, I agree, but I don't know if they are.

- 29 and 24 isn't much different
- My 24 works fine now
- Winter is coming up (Is he implying no riding? Noooo!)
- $300-$400 is a lot of money for a unicycle.

What do you guys think? He said it's just up to me whatever I want to
do, and if I really wanted it, get it, but I don't know.

--
Connahhh
Old September 18th 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

I have had this discussion with my wife a few times, one uni can't be
all things!

The feel of a 29 is quite different to a 24 - much more momentum and
the extra speed is fun, but still good handling offroad and onroad.
practical for longer rides. 29 is just a great size wheel.

If you can, I'd say go for it!

--
lunicycle
Old September 18th 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

lunicycle wrote:
I have had this discussion with my wife a few times, one uni can't be
all things!

The feel of a 29 is quite different to a 24 - much more momentum and
the extra speed is fun, but still good handling offroad and onroad.
practical for longer rides. 29 is just a great size wheel.

If you can, I'd say go for it!

Especially when riding it in small towns and parks. That's where the
real fun (i think) really is.

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

catinabag1 wrote:
we should provide the defibrilator
TPBM want some ice cream with smarties while they power up!

'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM)