29" Discussion thread

Old September 18th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
412

Default 29" Discussion thread

Get a 29" if you feel the stuff you are riding is to easy on a the 24",
gravel for example is very tedious on a 24" whilst on a 29" (with say
125mm cranks) is interesting since you have some amount of speed
compared so the sluggish pace of the 24".

If you get smaller cranks on the 29er it'll be worth it. (I have a KH24
with Gazz 3.0 which is equivalent to a 26" in circumference, it's
equipped with 150mm cranks) and a KH29 (with 125 mm cranks and a wtb
stout 2.35"). These are CERTAINLY different enough to merit having
both.

Swap the 125mm cranks and Stout to 110mm and a Big Apple and there is
no comparison at all any longer...

--
412
Old September 18th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hansc

Connahhh wrote:
- 29 and 24 isn't much different

It is. I own a 26" Nimbus but will still get a 29" KH08. In my case the
wheel diameter will roughly be the same (I have a fat tire on my 26er),
but the 26" is my Muni and 29" will be used for Road/XC.

- My 24 works fine now

I think 412 covered this point very well.

- Winter is coming up (Is he implying no riding? Noooo!)

Snowmuni!

- $300-$400 is a lot of money for a unicycle.

Compared to a good bike I think it's affordable.

What do you guys think? He said it's just up to me whatever I want to
do, and if I really wanted it, get it, but I don't know.

Depends on what kind you riding you want to do. A 24" is excellent for
technical Muni. If you want more speed and maybe ride longer distances,
but still going to ride off road, 29" is the way to go.

Hey 412, how does the WTB Stout feel? As I said I'm going to get a 29"
soon but haven't decided which tire I want. I'm not a big fan of Big
Apple even though it probably is the best road tire. What I'm looking
for is a tire that handles gravel very well, but still can be used for
off road.

--
hansc
Old September 18th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
412

hansc wrote:

Hey 412, how does the WTB Stout feel? As I said I'm going to get a 29"
soon but haven't decided which tire I want. I'm not a big fan of Big
Apple even though it probably is the best road tire. What I'm looking
for is a tire that handles gravel very well, but still can be used for
off road.

It handles camber very well. (Well the Gazza is a joke regarding that
matter.) It is noticably more sluggish than a BA (due to knobs...).

Handles low pressure well. And due to that a bit heavy, which you'll
notice on climbs... but nothing that you can't get over. ATM i run
2bars (i weigh 90kg), and it's wonderful. Did some pecking the other
day and sure it folds then when it is really steep, but not to much
that it's bad... it rather ads springyness to the pecking. But really
who pecks on a 29:er anyways... :-P

Soaks up bumps and things really well. (Well not compared to the Gazz
of course but compared to other tyres of equivalent volume.)

All in all a superb tyre for both on and off road, save only for that
same weight. (But without the weight it woult have the other nice
attributes.)

--
412
Old September 18th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nannerdw

Why does the KH 29" Mountain Wheelset cost so much? It's $372 on UDC.
I added up the cost of each component, and the total was at least $150
less than that. Do they charge that much for a wheel build?

--
nannerdw
Old September 18th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hansc

412 wrote:

Sounds great! Thanks, now I think I've made up my mind regarding the
tire choice: it's going to be a stout.

--
hansc
Old September 18th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lowlight

Got a WTB Stout arriving tomorow hopefully. Cant wait to try it out. Am
running kenda klaw 1.95 at the moment. Also switched down to 125mm
cranks recently from 140's and really loving the extra speed. Had a
great ride last night flying through some twisty singletrack.

@412 what do you mean by "pecking"?

--
lowlight
Old September 18th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
412

hansc wrote:
Sounds great! Thanks, now I think I've made up my mind regarding the
tire choice: it's going to be a stout.

You, me and Kris Holm have something in common then... ;-) BTW: For
real trail riding I can't imagine using the other "paper sidewalls"
29er tyres. (But I guess you already "knew" from everyone else that the
Stout is supposedly the best 29er tyre for real trails.)

If you are ever in Gothenburg feel free to contact me, we are 3 people
ATM that are riding 29ers. (Due to a few ruptered tendons in my foot,
there will be no 24" riding for another 6 months at least. 6 down, 6 to
go.. :-( )

--
412
Old September 18th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
412

lowlight wrote:

@412 what do you mean by "pecking"?

Unless I got the term wrong: mini side-hopping up gradients too tough
to climb by riding properly. Pecking as in George(?) Peck ("co-founder
of muni")who "invented it.

nannerdw wrote:
Why does the KH 29" Mountain Wheelset cost so much? It's $372 on UDC.
I added up the cost of each component, and the total was at least $150
less than that. Do they charge that much for a wheel build?

Just a guess, as the prices went up for 2008. Perhaps the parts are
2007 and the set is the 2008 version?

--
412
Old September 18th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lowlight

ah cool ok. No i'm sure its 'correct'. I just didnt know what it meant.
Had presumed there was George Peck link though... Must watch that video
again sometime soon.

--
lowlight
Old September 18th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Connahhh

I do appreciate all of the advice everyone. I just can't seem to make up
my mind. :/

--
Connahhh