29" Discussion thread

Old September 25th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

Default 29" Discussion thread

Shorter cranks are easier to spin faster and more comfortable on the
knees and sit bones because there is less leg movement. If you're
satisfied with the speed and comfort with 150s, then there isn't really
any reason that 125s are better.

--
phlegm
Old September 25th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

tholmer wrote:
I am hoping someone can answer my crank question...I have a KH29 with a
Big Apple tire and the dual hole (125, 150) crank. I don't know which
(125 or 150) is better for mostly flat road riding. Is it just
personal preference or is there some technical basis for which to use?
I have messed around with both...

Tammy

It is mostly personal preference. Generally, more experienced riders
prefer shorter cranks. There is indeed a technical basis for that. With
shorter cranks, your feet move through a smaller circle. This means that
the speed of your feet going through the pedaling circle is lower, which
gives the potential of turning a bit faster and so riding a bit faster.
Or, at the same speed but more comfortable because you don't have to
move your feet that much. But then again, whether you want more speed
(or comfort) is again a matter of personal preference.

I don't have dual-hole cranks myself but talked to various people who
have them. No-one had an issue with the extra inch of metal sticking
out, but YMMV.

--
Klaas Bil
Old September 26th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholmer

Your much more accomplished on your 29", but maybe with some practice

If I stay with the 125, it is the same as my KH24. That may be better
all around!

--
tholmer
Old September 26th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholmer

The dual hole cranks are what came with my KH29 when I ordered it. Now
that I feel I will stay with 125, I don't like how it looks with the
extra hole...maybe someday I will pull it and replace it with a solid
125mm.

--
tholmer
Old September 26th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

The 150 slot will give you more tourque (as well as a bit more control
at slow speeds) for climbing hills and rolling over rocks and rutes in
MUni. So unless you don't have any really steep hills where you live
or don't plan on ever doing MUni, I'd keep the double holes (much less
so if you only ride smooth, flatish trails).

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'