How about 32" unicycles? Or 34"?

Old September 4th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Default How about 32" unicycles? Or 34"?

joemarshall wrote:
The big problem with a bigger wheel is big rims and tyres are *very*
expensive to make.

Tires yes, rims not so much. Unless there are problems fitting the
rim-making machinery, which is a possibility. Otherwise it just
requires using longer extrusions of metal, and of course, getting the
darn tolerances right. I guess that applies to the combination of tire
and rim to be meaningful.

Indeed the market is small. 1.3 of 36" owners would *not* be likely to
buy a bigger wheel, since the majority of 36" owners probably don't
even ride their 36ers that much. They own them for novelty purposes.
Supposedly. It's only a small portion of us who crank out tons of miles
and want something more.

But the 36" market isn't saturated either, it's still growing. It's
just small, as a subset of the unicycle market, and a larger wheel
would tend to be a subset of that, as I'm sure it would be more
expensive, as well as fit less people.

With rims - even 36 is pretty hard to get made - as it's a really big
size for people used to making normal sized rims. It took them a couple
of years to get the new nimbus rim sorted, and again, that's an
established size.

Technically, if the original Coker tire/rim were an established size,
anything made subsequent that wasn't compatible should have been
considered a defect. I think that's what some of those Airfoil rims
really were. But as wheel sizes get bigger, the tolerance to keep a
good, safe seal between tire and rim probably gets more niggly to
maintain. Possibly much higher than typical tolerances needed, or else
BLAM!

There's also a problem with non-Americans, who have normal sized cars -
a coker is pretty much the limit of a european car boot (trunk).

True, which is why I used a European car in my example. Go much bigger
than 36" and it'll stop fitting into conventional cars. Then you'll
need a wagon or something larger, or to treat it like many people treat
their bikes, skis kayaks, etc. Put it on the outside.

Also, with gearing available now - how much point is there in a 44"?

For the majority of the market (again I'm assuming this is true for
36"), the point is looks. In a parade, or show, or just riding around
the neighborhood, a Schwinn Stingray is a useless bike. But people like
them for the looks. Only a few of us weirdos are interested in speed and
performance from our unicycles...

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old September 4th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

johnfoss wrote:

For the majority of the market (again I'm assuming this is true for
36"), the point is looks. In a parade, or show, or just riding around
the neighborhood, a Schwinn Stingray is a useless bike. But people like
them for the looks. Only a few of us weirdos are interested in speed and
performance from our unicycles...

I wonder how true that is any more. I mean, amongst the people buying
nimbus 36s, nimbus nightrider tyres etc. I'd expect buyers of those to
be more interested in speed / distance etc. than being purely about
having a big wheel? I mean there are cheaper qu-ax etc. big wheels they
could buy if all they want is a big wheel. I've only met one primarily
performing unicyclist (as opposed to someone who rides unicycles as a
hobby) who rides a coker, and even he used it to get around places as
well. Performers always seem to have giraffes.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new
pics' (http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old September 4th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

hmmm, 7.41% are not interested in unicycling

--
munirocks

I am Christian but I ride for myself.
Old September 5th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

I don't think any of us have real figures. Polls are kinda limited,
because only active forum members vote, and are likely more active
riders then normal.

I think a lot of stuff is fun just to try, and might work at racing,
maybe not. Being higher is more fun, but may slow some down from fear
of falling so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if a geared 36 was the fastest setup at the
next RTL, but I wouldn't bet against a long legged sprinter on a 44
either.

But even if it wasn't absolutely faster, floating along up high is
great for touring, I bet a lot of casual 36 riders would want to try
just a bit more of a good thing.

--
feel the light
Old September 5th 08, 06:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

I experimented with my old coker and added a Low profile 40" tyre to it.

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

catinabag1 wrote:
we should provide the defibrilator
TPBM want some ice cream with smarties while they power up!

'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM)
Old September 5th 08, 07:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

Hazmat wrote:
I experimented with my old coker and added a Low profile 40" tyre to it.

So how did it go? You still like it?

Old September 5th 08, 07:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

munirocks wrote:
So how did it go? You still like it?

*1) *I broke my personal best speed record on it.
*2) *I gave it to my little cousin as a birthday gift after i broke my
personal speed record.

Old September 5th 08, 07:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

So you could part with it without missing it later on. Are you back on a
regular 36" now?

Old September 5th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

Hazmat wrote:
I experimented with my old coker and added a Low profile 40" tyre to it.

I still find it amazing that you are the only person in the world that
has ever had a 40" Pneumatic made, which would have made an incredible
unicycle, yet you gave it away, and do not have any photographs of this
amazing machine!

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
Old September 5th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

semach.the.monkey wrote:
I still find it amazing that you are the only person in the world that
has ever had a 40" Pneumatic made, which would have made an incredible
unicycle, yet you gave it away, and do not have any photographs of this
amazing machine!

STM

I also find it "amazing" that a custom 40" tire was made that must have
gone on a custom made rim with custom spokes and a custom frame, and yet
there are no details on how it was made or any photos of it.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland