Is it insane to attempt a 100 mile charity ride on a Single Speed Mountain Bike?

Old July 13th 04, 11:17 PM
R.White

Default Is it insane to attempt a 100 mile charity ride on a Single Speed Mountain Bike?

"curt" wrote in message ...
Kind of a stupid question. If you live in a flat area, like TX, OH, FL or
something who cares if you have gears? If you live in an area that is very
hilly, then it would be harder. With the right single speed you can do most
anything, it just takes longer than if you had a multi. I think people ride
singles to impress other people mostly IMHO. I could care less. I am into
speed and hills, so singles are a waste of time for someone that wants to go
fast. All I can say is.... care to race around western PA?

Curt

I live in Central Pa. and got my first SS in 1999 (Bianchi B.a.S.S.).
Just bought my second (a slightly used Bianchi C.u.S.S.). I'm just as
fast as those with gears so I haven't "wasted" any time.

I could care less about impressing people. I like my SS for is simplicity,
low maintenance and above all, the quiet ride.
Old July 13th 04, 11:50 PM
R.White

"curt" wrote in message ...
Kind of a stupid question. If you live in a flat area, like TX, OH, FL or
something who cares if you have gears? If you live in an area that is very
hilly, then it would be harder.

Only in the beginning.

With the right single speed you can do most
anything, it just takes longer than if you had a multi.

Only in the beginning.

I think people ride
singles to impress other people mostly IMHO. I could care less. I am into
speed and hills, so singles are a waste of time for someone that wants to go
fast.

I got my first SS in 1999 and just got my second a few weeks ago. I
could care less about impressing people. I ride with other geared
riders and never lag behind so I haven't wasted any time. I like my
SS for it's simplicity and the silent ride it provides.

All I can say is.... care to race around western PA?

I'm in central Pa. Just as many if not more hills here.

"Lobo Tommy" wrote in message
m...
Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

Old July 14th 04, 01:03 AM
the black rose

R.White wrote:
Every year on RAGBRAI, there is a pair of brothers, now in their 70s,
riding full-dress 1-speed 1950s-era schwinns, riding the full course in
long shirts and long pants.

Their saddles sport hand-lettered signs "Gears Are For Wimps".

Here's a picture of them.

http://www.main.com/~plummer/day2/old_guys.jpg

The pic is too fuzzy to read their little signs, on my screen at least.

--
the black rose
GO LANCE GO!!!

Old July 14th 04, 04:14 AM
SoCalMike

I got my first SS in 1999 and just got my second a few weeks ago. I
could care less about impressing people. I ride with other geared
riders and never lag behind so I haven't wasted any time. I like my
SS for it's simplicity and the silent ride it provides.

what kind of gearing?

just curious. i dont need a whole bunch of gears either, but it *is*
nice having a tall gear for top speed, and a slightly shorter gear for
some inclines or a headwind.
Old July 17th 04, 05:31 AM
Chris Neary

Don't see why it should be.

A friend rode Solvang (admittedly not a particularily hilly century) one
year on his fixed gear.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old July 17th 04, 01:51 PM
Mike Vandeman

Yes. ALL mountain biking is insane.
===