itsy-bitsy bike

Old July 9th 04, 07:00 AM
cfsmtb

Default itsy-bitsy bike

While we'll all perving on the TdF, Sir Sinclairs been at it again.

By that I mean re-inventing stuff so it's _even smaller. Interesting
concept but probably not good on the Cols.

Sinclair launches smallest folding bike
http://www.itv.com/news/1627773.html

British inventor Sir Clive Sinclair - the man behind the futuristic
C5 electric tricycle in 1985 - is launching the world's smallest
folding bike.

Zipped into a bag, it looks like a large umbrella. Unfolded, it plies
the streets like any other bicycle but, made of plastic and with
pneumatic tyres, the 12lb (5.4 kg) unit folds into a package of less
than 0.03 cubic metres

Sir Clive said :"My original thought was that if you could have a
bicycle that was dramatically lighter and more compact then ones that
exist today, you would change the way in which bicycles could be used."

The mini-bike, unveiled in Singapore and set to go on sale worldwide
next year at less than $300 (£160), is built for riders as heavy as
247lb (110 kg) and is height-adjustable.

Like the US-made Segway scooter, the idea was to find an innovative
way of navigating congested cities and is also aimed at yachtsmen
and campers.

Its wheels are a quarter the size of those on a regular bicycle, but
Sinclair promises a smooth and sturdy ride for most cyclists. "You
require no extra energy to ride the A-bike and it can go up to 15 mph
(24 kph)," he said.

Sinclair also invented the world's first pocket calculator in 1972 and
the first pocket television in 1984.

Old July 9th 04, 07:30 AM
cfsmtb

Maybe it's designed with the woolly sock/dork market in mind.

"aimed at yachtsmen and campers"

Fully faired, dual suspension pygmy BMX floaties ?

Old July 9th 04, 07:30 AM
hippy

Originally posted by cfsmtb
Sinclair launches smallest folding bike
http://www.itv.com/news/1627773.html

Razor scooter on steroids?

Nifty but there's little potential for 'showing your might' with
something this small.. so the urban 4wders and V8er's wont like it at
all. There goes 95% of the earth's road-going population.

110kg weight limit.. does that factor in bunnyhopping curbs?

hippy

Old July 10th 04, 10:37 AM
Mike

cfsmtb wrote:
While we'll all perving on the TdF, Sir Sinclairs been at it again.

By that I mean re-inventing stuff so it's _even smaller. Interesting
concept but probably not good on the Cols.

Sinclair launches smallest folding bike
http://www.itv.com/news/1627773.html

I'd like to see it. The photo there looks like the C5 electric trike.
No luck on google images.