BBC news story today

Old August 4th 05, 11:16 AM
Peter Wilson

Default BBC news story today

Showed that in London bike sales have gone through the roof since the terror
attacks, however they said that a cyclist has an 85% more chance of being
killed riding a bike on the road, than from a terrorist attack, ahhhhhh we
just can't win can we.

Old August 4th 05, 01:48 PM
Random Data

Peter Wilson wrote:

Showed that in London bike sales have gone through the roof since the terror
attacks, however they said that a cyclist has an 85% more chance of being
killed riding a bike on the road, than from a terrorist attack, ahhhhhh we
just can't win can we.

Lets see. There've been of the order of 20 people out of a population
of around 50 million (I'm too lazy to look up exact figures) in the
last 5 years in the UK. So over 5 years the odds are around 1 in 2.5
million you'll be killed by a terrorist. At the same time we lose
around 20 cyclists a year out of a population of 20 million, or 1 in 1
million per year. So I'd say it's more like 1000% more likely to be hit
by a car, and both are rather unlikely.

Dave - who knows those are dodgy statistics, but don't be alarmed.

Old August 4th 05, 02:11 PM
Zoom

Random Data wrote:
Peter Wilson wrote:

Showed that in London bike sales have gone through the roof since the terror
attacks, however they said that a cyclist has an 85% more chance of being
killed riding a bike on the road, than from a terrorist attack, ahhhhhh we
just can't win can we.

Lets see. There've been of the order of 20 people out of a population
of around 50 million (I'm too lazy to look up exact figures) in the
last 5 years in the UK. So over 5 years the odds are around 1 in 2.5
million you'll be killed by a terrorist. At the same time we lose
around 20 cyclists a year out of a population of 20 million, or 1 in 1
million per year. So I'd say it's more like 1000% more likely to be hit
by a car, and both are rather unlikely.

Dave - who knows those are dodgy statistics, but don't be alarmed.

We are martyrs for the cause of cycling.
We make suicidal rides on the busy roads.
The path may be long and steep (uphill),
but we will not rest until the world is controlled by bicycles.
Cyclists of the world unite, we have nothing to lose but our chains!

May God (Lance) be with you.

Zoom
Old August 4th 05, 02:46 PM
rooman

Random Data Wrote:
Peter Wilson wrote

Showed that in London bike sales have gone through the roof since th

terro
attacks, however they said that a cyclist has an 85% more chance o

bein
killed riding a bike on the road, than from a terrorist attack

ahhhhhh w
just can't win can we

Lets see. There've been of the order of 20 people out of a populatio
of around 50 million (I'm too lazy to look up exact figures) in th
last 5 years in the UK. So over 5 years the odds are around 1 in 2.
million you'll be killed by a terrorist. At the same time we los
around 20 cyclists a year out of a population of 20 million, or 1 in
million per year. So I'd say it's more like 1000% more likely to be hi
by a car, and both are rather unlikely

Dave - who knows those are dodgy statistics, but don't be alarmed.

anyone know the stats for the odds on bike-more-friendly countries lik
Holland & Belgium.....are they best practice that the rest of the U
centric speaking world choses to ignore , for oil's sake....

that is the bottom line to me..Oil and Oil standard ( once the Gol
Standard) but since that was dropped its the oil standard as oi
contracts are in the main written in USD and you need USD to buy them
so the US economy and treasury thrives on increased oil prices, that
why the US is so up the nose of France and Russia as Iran and Ira
started to sell oil for Euros...the Yanks were threatened, the Oi
standard they had set was threatened and hence Saddam had to go...an
the French and Russian contracts with Iraq cancelled......not fo
WMD.... not for the **** he (Saddam) dished out to his own people, bu
for the OIL STANDARD and the USD...meanwhile we mere cyclists i
country's that have a high preponderance of oil dependancy fo
transport are at the mercy of the Oil agenda...there will really neve
be serious heed paid to cycling and its benefits beyond token politica
necessity from time to time whilst we demand Oil as we do...th
Netherlands and Belgium arent so worried and any way the Netherland
has Royal Dutch Shell, so the rest of the world is paying them to rid
bikes...the ultimate irony..

well thats MHO anyway..

* here endeth lesson #2 for tonight, brethren

--
rooman

Old August 4th 05, 03:06 PM
ritcho

rooman Wrote:
[...]

Ha! stick to cycling topics... despite the conspiracy theories, hig
oil prices are bad for the US economy, despite contracts bein
exchanged in USD. USD has fallen a long way from its highs a few year
ago, making oil relatively cheaper for non-US consumers. The currenc
market is plenty liquid enough for Europeans to swap euros for dollar
and dollars for oil. The way the USD has gone over the past few year
has meant the Belgians had to exchange fewer euros for the same numbe
of USD.

Ritch

PS. Royal Dutch Shell was just transferred out of MSCI-Europe index an
into the UK - so it's more of a UK company (at least in its financia
life

--
ritcho

Old August 4th 05, 03:19 PM
rooman

ritcho Wrote:
Ha! stick to cycling topics... despite the conspiracy theories, high oi
prices are bad for the US economy, despite contracts being exchanged i
USD. USD has fallen a long way from its highs a few years ago, makin
oil relatively cheaper for non-US consumers. The currency market i
plenty liquid enough for Europeans to swap euros for dollars an
dollars for oil. The way the USD has gone over the past few years ha
meant the Belgians had to exchange fewer euros for the same number o
USD

Ritc

PS. Royal Dutch Shell was just transferred out of MSCI-Europe index an
into the UK - so it's more of a UK company (at least in its financia
life)

just like the drivers who hate cyclists, I'll stick to my theory than
you...

it makes me feel better when I see them all stuck in traffic
especially when I can move forward and they can't....maybe one day whe
this moronic way of thinking by way too many vehicle users is less of
threat to safe riding, we can have a beer standard....to heck wh
wait....make mine a Goat ..Surefoot please...a pint

--
rooman

Old August 4th 05, 03:27 PM
rooman

ritcho Wrote:
Ha! stick to cycling topics... despite the conspiracy theories, high oi
prices are bad for the US economy, despite contracts being exchanged i
USD. USD has fallen a long way from its highs a few years ago, makin
oil relatively cheaper for non-US consumers. The currency market i
plenty liquid enough for Europeans to swap euros for dollars an
dollars for oil. The way the USD has gone over the past few years ha
meant the Belgians had to exchange fewer euros for the same number o
USD

Ritc

PS. Royal Dutch Shell was just transferred out of MSCI-Europe index an
into the UK - so it's more of a UK company (at least in its financia
life)

Hey, and you think that wasnt a trade off for the US to keep the oi
standard...it happens for a reason dear ritcho, and it all aint simpl
front page economics . Dubbya and the clique are well in control o
all that. That's why the Froggies and the Ruskies are still seething

and to keep the topic on matters cycling sure...it's probably wh
dubbya cant stay on his bike, he's got too much black gold on hi
seat..hah

--
rooman

Old August 5th 05, 01:40 AM
Theo Bekkers

Random Data wrote:

Dave - who knows those are dodgy statistics, but don't be alarmed.

Be alert, not alarmed. Gee, that sounds like something some-one should put
on a fridge magnet.

Theo

Old August 5th 05, 01:42 AM
Theo Bekkers

Zoom wrote:

We are martyrs for the cause of cycling.
We make suicidal rides on the busy roads.
The path may be long and steep (uphill),
but we will not rest until the world is controlled by bicycles.
Cyclists of the world unite, we have nothing to lose but our chains!

Bloody cyclo-terrorist.

Theo

Old August 5th 05, 02:18 AM
Gumby

Theo Bekkers wrote:
Random Data wrote:

Dave - who knows those are dodgy statistics, but don't be alarmed.

Be alert, not alarmed. Gee, that sounds like something some-one should put
on a fridge magnet.

Theo

but I cant get the fridge magnet to stick to my bike, perhaps liquid nails?

An experiment to prove the helmet law proponants RIGHT (or wrong) David Recumbent Biking 65 December 21st 04 06:42 AM
eScrew zen story [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 20th 04 07:21 AM
Vuelta after TT today? alex Racing 21 September 14th 04 05:41 AM
Good news and bad news Colin Blackburn UK 9 May 12th 04 02:29 PM