Kerry's flat tires

Old October 24th 04, 09:09 PM
di

"Mike Latondresse" wrote in message
(Hunrobe) wrote in
:

This is the only NG I read with any regularity and when I do it's
most often either after a ride or at night. As for why I broke my
resolve not to get dragged in, there are two reasons.

Man, am I ever going to be glad when the US elections are over.

Over? hell we're still fighting over the 2000 election, some just won't
give up and go on.

Old October 24th 04, 09:57 PM

Mike Latondresse writes:

This is the only NG I read with any regularity and when I do it's
most often either after a ride or at night. As for why I broke my
resolve not to get dragged in, there are two reasons.

Man, am I ever going to be glad when the US elections are over.

If you don't like this, why do you read it? The subject line is
clear. Do you also subject yourself to helmet threads where insults
are more acrid and personal? Some even suggest murdering non-believers.

Jobst Brandt

Old October 24th 04, 11:50 PM
Hunrobe

Man, am I ever going to be glad when the US elections are over.

So will everyone else. Everyone except the loser and his diehard supporters
that is.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old October 25th 04, 12:33 AM
Frank Krygowski

Hunrobe wrote:

wrote:

Man, am I ever going to be glad when the US elections are over.

So will everyone else. Everyone except the loser and his diehard supporters
that is.

Yep. IOW, almost exactly half the country. :-(

(Are frownies any better than smileys?)

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old October 25th 04, 01:56 AM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:34:31 -0400, Badger_South
wrote:

The failure to hook up with a physical activity might have been when she
was in 5th grade, as a short, pudgy-challenged kid, tried out for the girls
field hockey team, and couldn't run around the field 10 times in that
summer heat (don't blame her), and they dropped her. That was it for
athletics.

That is a far more common story than is generally appreciated. The
kids who most need the activity are excluded from it. And, at a time
of vulnerability and developing self-concept, are drummed out publicly
(even if it waits until next practice's "Hey, where's Shelly?" "Oh,
didn't you hear?...").

I still think of the ignominious end to my baseball career when, at
the age of 7, I was "cut" from the Farm League. The city had just
produced a Little League World Series team, and by God, it was a
dynasty, and no fat, goofy, uncoordinated kids are allowed.

That was an indescribably deep hurt. What would have been wrong with
splitting all the fat, goofy, uncoordinated kids up so that one or two
would be "assigned" to each Farm League Team? This wasn't the New
York Yankees, fer chrissake.

Old October 25th 04, 03:28 AM
Badger_South

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:56:05 -0500, Zippy the Pinhead
wrote:

That was an indescribably deep hurt. What would have been wrong with
splitting all the fat, goofy, uncoordinated kids up so that one or two
would be "assigned" to each Farm League Team? This wasn't the New
York Yankees, fer chrissake.

You are not alone here, my friend. I was a very small, though active kid,
80lbs in 9th grade, Played left field in the 'Lions', b/c nobody ever hit
there.. up to bat one time, foul tip, (got a piece of the cowhide, lol),
and played two seasons. I don't know how they did that...never had a ball
hit to me.

Anyway, me and you, we come back with a vengeance, typically, in later
life, don't we?

One thing sustained me...the thought, looking back, that sometimes these
slights can be the motivating factor that takes you to great heights as an
adult. I heard my dad say one night 'he'll never play that trombone any
good...he doesn't have any talent'.

Suffice it to say, I learned six instruments, have played in coffee houses
(guitar) and have a rare gift in playing my digital piano (yamaha), and the
day I graduated HS, a mere 3 years after he made that innocent comment
(there was no intended hurt in it and never knew I head it), I was first
chair marching band, first chair symphonic orchestra, second chair jazz
band, and our school band was the one to beat. Out of hundreds of students
and dozens and dozens of trombone players in the regions/State's schools, I
was number 1 of the #1 top school(*) . I mean that mostly happened, but
when he said that, I remember my 14 y.o.self saying: 'like heck!' to myself
in the garage, that day). ;-D

-B
I -was- playing some sour notes that night in 1964....lol

(*)Playing my $600 dollar (1967 dollars), "King" Silver Sonic Trombone, the
best of the best at the time. Paper Route. ;-)

Old October 25th 04, 03:40 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:41:04 +0000, Mike Latondresse wrote:

Man, am I ever going to be glad when the US elections are over.

We will be, too.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster." --Greg LeMond
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |

Old October 25th 04, 03:44 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:56:05 -0500, Zippy the Pinhead wrote:

That is a far more common story than is generally appreciated.

Amen.

I still think of the ignominious end to my baseball career when, at the
age of 7, I was "cut" from the Farm League. The city had just produced a
Little League World Series team, and by God, it was a dynasty, and no fat,
goofy, uncoordinated kids are allowed.

My town, too, was so caught up in it's proud baseball tradition to give a
damn about kids who just wanted to play. I _never_ forgave them for
cutting me, as an 8-year old who just wanted to play little league.

My own kids had much better experiences with town-league soccer.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
(_)/ (_) |

Old October 25th 04, 04:26 AM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Badger_South wrote:

(*)Playing my $600 dollar (1967 dollars), "King" Silver Sonic
Trombone, the best of the best at the time. Paper Route. ;-)

Man, you're killing me. I had a King 2B Sterling-silver plated trombone
(slide AND valve -- I was really a euphonium player) STOLEN from an
instrument room in high school. Insurance covered it, but somehow I ended
up with a new King 3B brass 'bone, which was really quite ordinary by
comparison. (Still have it in a closet somewhere; somehow doubt I'll be
joining a rock/dance band any time soon...)

Bill "All-State '71-73, All-Eastern '72" S.

(Hell, I still have my Besson euphonium, too. Chops long gone )