Renting a road bike in Italy

Old June 10th 04, 11:55 PM
Steve

Default Renting a road bike in Italy

Can anyone provide a resource? I will be in Italy for a few days and
would like to do some road riding. I do not want to do a group tour,
just some solo riding for a couple days in the beginning of July.

I'll be in Rome and Naples.

Thanks for any info however sketchy.

steve
Old June 11th 04, 06:31 AM
Sergio SERVADIO

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Steve wrote:
Can anyone provide a resource? I will be in Italy for a few days and
would like to do some road riding. I do not want to do a group tour,
just some solo riding for a couple days in the beginning of July.
I'll be in Rome and Naples.
Thanks for any info however sketchy.

Not so easy to rent good bikes over here.
Except if you happen to come to the Pisa/Lucca area: then, I can spot
almost anything for you.

Sergio
Pisa

Old June 11th 04, 01:13 PM
Sergio SERVADIO

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Tim Arnold wrote:
Agreed. I went on a tour along the Adriatic ...

Myself being born 'on the other side' I am wondering where along the
Adriatic coast you did bike touring.
Most of the coastal line roads should, in my opinion, be avoided
altogether.

Sergio
Pisa

Old June 11th 04, 01:17 PM
Tim Arnold

"Sergio SERVADIO" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Steve wrote:
Can anyone provide a resource? I will be in Italy for a few days and
would like to do some road riding. I do not want to do a group tour,
just some solo riding for a couple days in the beginning of July.
I'll be in Rome and Naples.
Thanks for any info however sketchy.

Not so easy to rent good bikes over here.
Except if you happen to come to the Pisa/Lucca area: then, I can spot
almost anything for you.

Sergio
Pisa

Agreed. I went on a tour along the Adriatic and asked the tour operator if
there was a road bike to rent. They could really find anything suitable, so
they rented out one their personal bikes.

Old June 11th 04, 02:05 PM
Steve

In article , Tim Arnold
wrote:

"Sergio SERVADIO" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Steve wrote:
Can anyone provide a resource? I will be in Italy for a few days and
would like to do some road riding. I do not want to do a group tour,
just some solo riding for a couple days in the beginning of July.
I'll be in Rome and Naples.
Thanks for any info however sketchy.

Not so easy to rent good bikes over here.
Except if you happen to come to the Pisa/Lucca area: then, I can spot
almost anything for you.

Sergio
Pisa

Agreed. I went on a tour along the Adriatic and asked the tour operator if
there was a road bike to rent. They could really find anything suitable, so
they rented out one their personal bikes.

Hm. Too bad. I won't be there long enough to do a side trip to Pisa.
Guess I'll have to plan ahead a bit for this next time.

steve
Old June 11th 04, 02:45 PM
Ken Roberts

To rent a not-so-good bicycle might be easier.

(1) Train stations in Europe sometimes have a bicycle-rental service.
Sharon and I have done this twice in other countries, though not in Italy.

(2) Ask at the local tourist office -- they might know places other than the
train station.

Just don't expect to get anything like a racing or serious touring bike.

(3) if you happen to walk past a bike shop, just stop in and ask. Who
knows? they might have something better for you to rent. If not, at least
you'll have the cross-cultural experience of meeting a local bicycle person.

Ken

Old June 11th 04, 10:52 PM
steve

In article ,
Ken Roberts wrote:

To rent a not-so-good bicycle might be easier.

Easier, but a lot less fun.

(3) if you happen to walk past a bike shop, just stop in and ask. Who
knows? they might have something better for you to rent. If not, at least
you'll have the cross-cultural experience of meeting a local bicycle person.

This is a great idea. I'll wander around Rome looking for bike shops.
I'll have an adventure or two on the way, surely.

steve